Current time: 10-31-2014, 08:28 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
The islands call...
03-15-2012, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2012 07:38 PM by Asuigeneris1.)
Rainbow The islands call...
When I was in my early 20's I went on a whim to Kauai, sadly I felt like I never quite left there at the end of my stay...I tried married, had children and then they grew up.

...and I never made it back, ever.

Now I am 44 years old, and going back is all I ever think of...just trying to figure out the logistics.

...obviously, I'll need to come back to an area that a job is possible.

Don't even care much what I am doing, as long as I am doing it there.

...don't care where I live, I am very low-maintenance.

Just want to live there.

I am going to drag my current roommate with me, because he has nothing better to do. LOL

...so I suppose I am in the need of advice, opinions, whatever anyone is willing to share.

I have read a bunch on here, and it seems that Oahu and Maui...are touted as the best job prospects, from what I can tell.

Which I suppose is key, to making enough to get by on.

When I was there the first time, I stayed on a school bus...behind an old woman's house. LOL

...and in my simplicity, loved it.

Doubt I can get the roommate to go quite that simplistic, but even now...we share a studio, and have little in terms of material stuff.

I want to come there with not much more than a few boxes, and just start over...or maybe really, it's just starting.

Ever feel like you have just been living someone else's life? >.<

Well anyway, any advice on shipping a small amount of boxes, maybe by ship or whatever is cheapest...on picking up a used car there, and on getting a little studio or 1 bdrm.

Whatever is offered up, I will gladly take...I kind of feel like a kid running away from home, to home.

...maybe local publications that are good for just getting a small, off the beaten path place?

Nothing fancy, just a roof, and the basics.

...any job, as long as it pays for the roof and some food.

Guess figuring out an island is the best first step, any ideas there?

...just want to hear the lowdown, from people that know the ins and outs.

I am not looking for the common moving scenario, I have no family, no stuff and little tying me to the world really...just want a place I can call home.

I just wanna come home. : (

Nowhere else I have been has ever cut it, Hawaii stole my heart a long, long time ago.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2012, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2012 07:41 AM by tminker.)
RE: The islands call...
(03-15-2012 07:35 PM)Asuigeneris1 Wrote:  When I was in my early 20's I went on a whim to Kauai, sadly I felt like I never quite left there at the end of my stay...I tried married, had children and then they grew up.

...and I never made it back, ever.

Now I am 44 years old, and going back is all I ever think of...just trying to figure out the logistics.

...obviously, I'll need to come back to an area that a job is possible.

Don't even care much what I am doing, as long as I am doing it there.

...don't care where I live, I am very low-maintenance.

Just want to live there.

I am going to drag my current roommate with me, because he has nothing better to do. LOL

Ah, Asuigeneris1, I know that longing, but from a slightly different perspective.

I was born on Oahu while my parents were stationed there in the late 50s. About a year or so later they moved back to the Mainland to San Diego and by the time I was five were living in the Pacific Northwest in Seattle, Washington area where I was raised and for the most part, outside of a couple years each in San Francisco and Portland, Oregon, have lived in.

I've never seen my Birthland and neither of my parents ever went back, although they spoke very, very fondly of their time there and the people they met. My parents were very outgoing folks who loved to try all sorts of things, especially foods and loved meeting the various peoples of all backgrounds while there. But they never mentioned ever going back, even for a vacation.

As for me, I've always grown up wanting to live there. Not merely vacation, but to live there as I feel to my bones to be an Islander.

Now at 52, entering the latter third of life, and having spoken of wanting to live the rest of my life there, I'm making plans to do so by the fall of the next year, 2013. And, my 24 year old son is going to accompany me. We both have a love of the sea and dream of year-round decent weather after both growing up in the NW and for my son's 24 years in the SW corner of Washington where the Winters and the overall environs just plain suck.

At first we thought about moving most of our mutual household goods and our two pets. But after researching the cost and logistics of moving all of that via shipping we finally came to the conclusion to get rid of everything except for certain specific items that we could have mailed over in a few large boxes and to fly over with only what we can carry in two hands and just start over on a very simple level as we figure we'll be spending the first couple years moving around exploring the island, trying to find the place we'd like to live, and perhaps moving to another island if we find that would suit us.

So, the plan is to shuck everything, household goods, vehicles and pets, and just go over as light as possible to facilitate being able to move at a moment's notice and, frankly, so we don't have much to tie us down as we'd much rather spend our time outdoors doing stuff after a lifetime of spending so much time indoors during NW type inclement and Wintery weather.

My purpose in wanting to be there is to live the rest of my life where I was born and feel kinship in, to get outside most of the time and meet people and just do stuff. Not to worry about a house full of stuff that collects dust, hampers one from suddenly jetting, and must require a larger place.

We plan on getting a studio or single bedroom for the first many months at least to keep costs down. As we're just fellas that's easy enough between looking for work, working, being out and about and just needing a place to sack out.

Bringing a lot of stuff over is very costly I've found out. Especially if one doesn't have a palce to take it to immediately, as then one would have to store it, which would cost. And not being at all familiar with Oahu or any of the islands we don't want to be held down by a bunch of stuff or spend money unnecessarily on storage costs while we explore the environs.

Also, as there's no ferries between the islands if one wanted to move to another island one would then have to pay out for more shipping costs, which undoubtedly would be cheaper than shipping from the Mainland TO Hawaii, but still pricey and a major hassle.

Well, that's our perspective. Keep it light, go light, live light, and get out inTO the light. And not have to worry about a bunch of stuff in some building collecting dust and requiring a costlier place.

Best of luck to you!
03-18-2012, 11:39 AM
"Well, that's our perspective. Keep it light, go light, live light, and get out inTO the light. And not have to worry about a bunch of stuff in some building collecting dust and requiring a costlier place.

Best of luck to you!"

Looks like we are both trying to find that same 'semblance of peace...best of luck to you as well. ^_^.
03-19-2012, 02:15 PM
(03-18-2012 11:39 AM)Asuigeneris1 Wrote:  Looks like we are both trying to find that same 'semblance of peace...best of luck to you as well. ^_^.

Well, there is the more introspective line of thinking as well. Mostly having to do with not only shucking a lot of the material stuff in our lives, but also the contraints of where we live now, which is a culturally devoid as it can get, even with a major university here.

My son is working as a chef and his life dreams have all cenetered around seafood, Japanese culture/cooking and the sea. He'd taken Japanese language in all four years of high school, and while not giving him much experience in daily conversational skills he does have very good basics down to work from and bwtween my having been born in the Islands, but not ever seeing them, and him wanting to eventually go to Japan, but not quite up to the level of expatriating there yet (and Japan doesn't really need more peeople coming into it right now anyway given what they're dealing with post-earthquake/tsunami/nuclear plant mess), why we figured we could help each other fulfill our respective dreams, me to live out the rest of my life in my Birhtland, and he in having a stepping stone in Hawaii to some years from now living in Japan by meeting people in Oahu, working for some Japanese restaurant(s) and building on his language skills.

So, our plan is to go minimalist and do what we can there.

Will most definitely be way more enjoyable than where we are now, which is a little college town way out in the wheat fields with no interesting employment opportunities and no real cultural experiences to speak of.

And I used to love Winters until I moved over here from the West side of Washington. But after 25 years and having raised my two kids here, now my daughter's gone and my son wanting to get back out of her, after a stint in the Navy to then muster out and come back, there'd just be myself here and this is no place for a still living human being to remain. So, we'll say goodbye to wheat fields and aloha to balmy breezes, sun, year-round outdoor enjoyment and the sea.

Sometimes one just has to suddenly shift gears and take the risks, no matter how old.
03-20-2012, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2012 05:28 PM by kaniamea.)
Most people trying to find housing in Hawaii use craigslist. It's the most popular place where to find a roof. Other than that you could also try the local newspaper. Since you don't know anyone on Kauai, it's not an option to ask friends or relatives if they know of a place you could rent. So the public route (Internet, newspaper) will be your only option in the beginning. Sometimes there are also signs at apartment buildings that say "for rent." So if you like any particular neighborhood, sometimes it's worth it to just drive through and see if there's a "for rent" sign. When it comes to finding a job, you can also try craigslist and the newspaper first. Many people who grow up on Kauai have family there and a network of friends and that's how many find a job there (through contacts). Others have a government job. But other than that, most jobs are low pay on Kauai in the visitor industry (restaurants, hotel staff, etc). You probably already know that many people work more than one job to afford their apartment/house and the other living expenses, which are high in Hawaii. So it's good that you plan to travel light and look for a small place, which will be cheaper. Good luck with your move!