Po'olenalena Beach, Maui
Po'olenalena Beach (view panorama) , located in South Maui just north of Makena, is a half-mile long sandy beach with great swimming conditions when the ocean is calm. The ocean bottom is mostly sandy and has a gentle slope. There are some large rocks exposed at a few places along the shoreline. Sand dunes and kiawe trees are located inland.
Po'olenalena means "yellow head" in the Hawaiian language. It is the name of a large rock, located on the 5th hole of the Wailea Blue Golf Course. The rock has a dark color with yellow streaks on its sides. It is visible from the public road as well as from the golf course and has long been a landmark for Makena residents.
Po'olenalena Beach Overview
- Half a mile long and great for a variety of water activities and picnics
- Lava outcropping divides beach into two sections
- Rarely crowded, so it's a nice place to enjoy some peace and quiet
- Snorkeling can be good at the north and south end of the beach around the lava points
- Gentle slope to deeper offshore waters, good swimming when the ocean is calm
- Sandy ocean bottom with few rocks
Vacation Rentals near Po'olenalena Beach