Kauai Historical Society, Kauai
The Kauai Historical Society (KHS) operates out of the Kauai County Building in Lihue, which is the oldest government facility still operating in Hawaii. The building was erected in 1913, and even though it is mainly a research facility, it has some old furniture and art on display.
The Historical Society was established in 1914 to preserve Kauai's sacred and historic sites. It was also an early promoter for preservation of the Hawaiian language. The KHS has more than 12,000 photographs in its archives, more than 3,200 maps and 4,500 books. There are also plantation records, periodicals, newspapers and personal papers from local families and organizations.
The KHS maintains the only general historical archive for the island of Kauai. The Historical Society and any items on display are open to the public, but the immense collection of archives is available by appointment only.
Vacation Rentals near Kauai Historical Society