Current time: 10-18-2017, 01:14 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
moving to big island
08-06-2011, 01:31 AM
moving to big island
My wife and I are going to sell or rent our home in Pa and move to the big island. I need to know how well the internet service is on the big island? We will both be telecommuting for work. Were not sure what part of the island would be best we have been told there are 3or4 distinct weather patterns. It has been many years since I last visited the islands so I was hoping I could get some info on r upcoming move. Thanks for any help u can give me , Roy
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2011, 02:38 AM
RE: moving to big island
Sorry that I can't personally give you information on the Big Island and internet access I would suggest that you check out this website http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/ there seem to be more posts there oriented towards moving to Hawaii.
Find all posts by this user
08-07-2011, 08:49 PM
The internet service is pretty much the same on all the islands, depending on what provider you choose. I visited the Big Island a few months ago and had high-speed Internet in my vacation rental. It was perfectly fine.

Yes, when it comes to the weather the Big Island is the most diverse in Hawaii because the island has many different climate zones. Generally speaking, the Hilo side is the wet side and the Kona side is the sunny and dry side. When it comes to housing, the Puna and Ka'u districts are the most affordable, but also the most volcanically active areas. The priciest area is the Kohala Coast and some areas on the Kona Coast.
08-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Aloha Roy,
I am happy to help you with some of your questions about moving here. I did as you are doing,sold pretty much everything, packed everything else into suitcases and made the move. To be honest with you, I don't regret it one bit. My move was a little harder than most because I had to relocate my whole family. With a little bit of time and ebay, everything is back to normal and we're enjoying a wonderful life here in the islands.
I will warn you though that time really flies over here though. Beautiful sunsets and fantastic weather makes the time go faster than you're use too. Not to worry, look for a place that you'll be happy with and don't shop in the bad areas first. Start at the top and shop downward is the best advice I can offer you. If you watch "Dog the Bounty Hunter", there are bad areas on that island for sure, just ask Roseanne Barr, she lives there.
I have a friend, Jason Scott Lee that lives in Volcanoes, which is a small town just outside of Volcanoes National Park and he loves it there. Has about 20 acres and no electricity. Everything battery and solar power and water catches. Vog might be the only thing that you'll have to worry about. For the most part, the volcanoes there isn't really a big thing there. Lava flows every few years and not usually a problem. Weather is wonderful no matter where you live in Hawaii. You will get a lot of rain at night or in the mountains, but you'll adjust and love it. After all, this is paradise and this is Hawaii. The safest place on earth.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
08-13-2011, 01:55 AM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2011 07:36 AM by kaniamea.)
Thank for the info. Hopefully we will be able to relocate before we deal with another PS winter!
08-16-2011, 09:13 AM
We bought in Puna recently and internet service is NOT a given. Our realtor's house is listed and she's paying for service even though the house is empty. She told us that it might take a couple years to get service so having it on is a selling point.
08-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi or Aloha (guess I better get use to saying aloha instead of Hi)
Relocating to the Big Island and in need of a permanent long-term Rental or Temporary Rental until we find a permanent one........: )
My name is Cheryl and my husband and I are currently in the process of relocating to the Big Island.....I am having a horrible time trying to find a temporary place that accepts dogs. ...and if I do come accross a place that accepts pets the price is outrageous. I have a sweet little Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix who is about 11 months old. We were going to relocate in November until I found out about the Hawaii quarantine procedures and this has set our plans back Now because of the 120 day quarantine and having to go to the vet in stages and all this paperwork. We are now looking to be there somewhere around the end of Jan. 2012. Anyway we are searching for a resonable place to rent long term or a place to temporaraly stay(that is responable$) and will accept our pet while we find a perm. rental. My dog is Name "Sadie" and she is absolutely a sweetheart and would be no problem she is potty trained and although she would like to play with other animal once she gets close to them she is afraid and runs away, I think she needs to get more familiar with them first, and she goes everywhere with us, we rarely leave her at home unless we go out to eat which isn't very often. She does not dig or chew anything, she is actually the smartest dog I have ever had. When we brought her home from the shelter at age 4 months I used puppy pads to train her and she went potty on the pads right away I was shocked, she is very very freindly as well. I know this posting is months in advance of our purposed arrival time, but we wanted to start looking in hopes that someone out there could help or may have a property available at the time we plan to be there. My husband and I are pretty much retired our monthly rental budget is about $800.00 but we are willing to check anything out, even if it's a fixer-upper etc. my husband is quite handy and we both have made several improvments on our properties in the past, we also would have no problem with any yard work. (after we finish exploring the Island we may need something to keep us busy : ) ) We would very much like to find something in a rural or jungle like area with a yard and 600sf + really hopefully 2 bedroom 1 will do if the place is large enough , and a place where we could grow a garden, and we own a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler, so getting to a place that is a little bumpy would not be a problem. Even anything that is rent to own with owner financing we would be interested in. We are in our mid 40's and my husband worked in the Labor's Union for years. About 4 years ago he was injured and has rods and titaniam plates in his neck, he no longer works he is good has pain every now and than but just has to be easy and not over do it. He now receives his Labor's pension + SSD. In the process of several surgeries and many medical bills our custom home which we had build and lived in for 5 years unfortunately had to make the decsion to give it back to the bank. My husband spent 2 1/2 years fighting for his benefits and in the meantime we exhausted our savings. Unfortunately the way the economy was we were unable to sell our home and our home was no longer worth what we owed. That was a few years ago, we bought a 37 foot Motor Home and traveled a little and also spent the summer months of 2010 on our land in Utah. We love camping and exploring, when we first bought our 2008 Jeep Wrangler we spent hours in the Nevada Desert. We have been to Hawaii twice and absolutely loved the Big Island, it gave us an unexplainable feeling. Therefore here we come another adventure it is. : ) The photos on my profile are of me and my husband Eric visiting the Big Island and one from Kauai, then photos of my dog Sadie, and one of Sadie and my daughters Chihuahua.......Thank you for you time and we cant wait to get out there...: )
Anyone out there that could help or knows anyone with rentals please let us know...
: )
08-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I am sorry but I can't help you with the rental, but thanks for sharing your plans and challenges. The quarantine was the first thing I thought about when starting to read you post.
Good luck with finding a rental. Your budget might be a little slight but you might find something in that range. You didn't mention what side or part of the BI that you want to be in. That might help you find an answer.
08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Aloha EricandCheryl Rogers, I have seen some really good houses in the Kapoho area renting for around $750-$800. So I would say Pahoa and Kapoho are pretty affordable. There are not many entertaining options in this area, but if you like nature, the area is really very beautiful and green. It rains quite a lot there though.
08-31-2011, 01:43 PM
thank you so much for your response and suggestions. We will for sure look into that area.

Again thank you.

If you hear of anything else let me know...

Eric and Cheryl