Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
moving to Hawaii
01-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Smile moving to Hawaii
I want to move to Hawaii to enjoy it's natural beauty but have so many questions. Where would I be able to rent a 3 br house (not condo or sgared) that has some land (acre?) and is in a safe area for my 15 yr old daughter? We are into nature, hiking, etc. I'm not into crowded areas, neighbors right next to you, etc. Just want a small piece of paradise - that's safe for my daughter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Shy
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2014, 09:12 AM
RE: moving to Hawaii
What island do you have in mind? It also depends a lot on your budget. There are many neighborhoods on all the islands that offer what you are looking for. You'll have a huge choice if you have an unlimited budget. But generally speaking, the Big Island of Hawaii is the most affordable and it also has the most open space. Many homes here have big yards. Oahu is the most crowded, but you can also find homes with spacious yards in good neighborhoods.
Find all posts by this user
01-20-2014, 11:18 AM
(01-20-2014 09:12 AM)eleakai Wrote:  What island do you have in mind? It also depends a lot on your budget. There are many neighborhoods on all the islands that offer what you are looking for. You'll have a huge choice if you have an unlimited budget. But generally speaking, the Big Island of Hawaii is the most affordable and it also has the most open space. Many homes here have big yards. Oahu is the most crowded, but you can also find homes with spacious yards in good neighborhoods.

Thanks so much for the response. I don't know which island because when you look online at the islands, they only show the good parts but as we all know, there are bad areas everywhere. I'm just trying to find out which one has the least amount. I do have a budget as stated in my post. So the Big Island would be the likely choice for us?
01-21-2014, 10:40 PM
I didn't see in your post where you stated that you have a budget. Anyway, the Big Island (generally speaking) is the most affordable, where you can get more house and land for your money. I agree it is hard to make a decision where to move to if you've never checked out the areas beforehand. Maybe you could plan a trip first and see where you would like it? Also, it would help if you have a specific area in mind to then give you an idea of what that area is roughly like.
01-22-2014, 03:24 AM
(01-21-2014 10:40 PM)eleakai Wrote:  I didn't see in your post where you stated that you have a budget. Anyway, the Big Island (generally speaking) is the most affordable, where you can get more house and land for your money. I agree it is hard to make a decision where to move to if you've never checked out the areas beforehand. Maybe you could plan a trip first and see where you would like it? Also, it would help if you have a specific area in mind to then give you an idea of what that area is roughly like.

Thanks again for your reply and info. I do plan on visiting beforehand but I'm trying to see where to visit. My budget would be around 150k to buy and $1200 to rent. We want to be in an area that still has nature around it (trees, flowers, animals, just natural landscape) and at least an acre of land. So you would suggest visiting Big Island?

Thanks again Smile
01-22-2014, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 10:37 PM by eleakai.)
Yes, for this amount of money it would be a good idea to start with visiting the Big Island. But keep in mind that it will be difficult to find a house for 150k anywhere in Hawaii. I know the Puna and Ka'u districts on the Big Island for example might have a few homes that cost around that, but you also have to look into the quality of the house itself, the land it stands on, the neighborhood, etc. After all, you get what you pay for. And considering that the median sales price of a house on the Big Island right now is $295,000 (on Oahu it is $675,000, on Maui it is $531,000 and on Kauai it is $515,000), you see that 150k won't buy you too much quality. And if you leave the Big Island out of the picture, I don't know where on the other islands you could get a small starter home for this amount.

Now regarding a rental for $1,200, again it's a small amount. It won't get you into a decent house with an acre of land around it in most Hawaii neighborhoods (with the exception of the Big Island maybe). You'll have an easier time finding an apartment for that amount. To quote the National Low Income Housing Coalition Fair Market Rent data, the average 2-bedroom apartment on Oahu costs $1,833. The average 2-bedroom apartment on the Big Island costs $1,044. On Maui it costs $1,315 and on Kauai it costs $1,685.
01-23-2014, 01:58 AM
(01-22-2014 10:36 PM)eleakai Wrote:  Yes, for this amount of money it would be a good idea to start with visiting the Big Island. But keep in mind that it will be difficult to find a house for 150k anywhere in Hawaii. I know the Puna and Ka'u districts on the Big Island for example might have a few homes that cost around that, but you also have to look into the quality of the house itself, the land it stands on, the neighborhood, etc. After all, you get what you pay for. And considering that the median sales price of a house on the Big Island right now is $295,000 (on Oahu it is $675,000, on Maui it is $531,000 and on Kauai it is $515,000), you see that 150k won't buy you too much quality. And if you leave the Big Island out of the picture, I don't know where on the other islands you could get a small starter home for this amount.

Now regarding a rental for $1,200, again it's a small amount. It won't get you into a decent house with an acre of land around it in most Hawaii neighborhoods (with the exception of the Big Island maybe). You'll have an easier time finding an apartment for that amount. To quote the National Low Income Housing Coalition Fair Market Rent data, the average 2-bedroom apartment on Oahu costs $1,833. The average 2-bedroom apartment on the Big Island costs $1,044. On Maui it costs $1,315 and on Kauai it costs $1,685.

Okay. I have a much better idea of what to look for as well as the costs. I would definetly want quality first. I've been looking at the jobs available and the pay scale does not come close to what someone would need to live there. How do the locals (natives) do it? It must be very difficult for them. I truly appreciate all of your info. Wink

Thanks again,

Cathy
01-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Yes, the pay is often lower in Hawaii compared to salaries elsewhere. How locals do it? Many live in multiple-generation households. Others share a house or apartment with another family. And many others work 2 or 3 jobs.