Current time: 12-11-2017, 08:40 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
mail forwarding
08-27-2012, 03:35 PM
mail forwarding
Hello all,
I will soon my moving to Oahu and at this point I am not sure where I will be living, and I was wondering what other people who move to Hawaii without and address do as far as getting mail forwarded to them. I may be flying in with my wife and child and getting a month long furinshed rental, as I a look for a long term rental, so when I leave I will not have a mailing address. Is there a simple answer to my problem?
thank you in advance for any help.
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2012, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 10:01 AM by kaniamea.)
RE: mail forwarding
You could have your mail forwarded to a relative or friend on the mainland, who would collect your mail and then send it to you once you have an address on Oahu. I guess this is what I would do. Or you could have your mail forwarded to a P.O. Box on Oahu. The post office also has a "hold your mail" and "premium forwarding service" see here https://www.usps.com/manage/research-del...ptions.htm

Maybe best would be if you go to your local post office and ask them what they would suggest, which option is best in your case.
Find all posts by this user
08-28-2012, 09:54 AM
(08-28-2012 09:42 AM)kaniamea Wrote:  You could have your mail forwarded to a relative or friend on the mainlan, who would collect your mail and then send it to you once you have an address on Oahu. I guess this is what I would do. Or you could have your mail forwarded to a P.O. Box on Oahu. The post office also has a "hold your mail" and "premium forwarding service" see here https://www.usps.com/manage/research-del...ptions.htm

Maybe best would be if you go to your local post office and ask them what they would suggest, which option is best in your case.

Thanks, yeah I went to the post office today and surprise, they were of no help. I got " wow that's a good question". But your link was VERY helpful and I now have an idea of what the post office can do. I also see if I can get someone to forward my mail as you had mentioned.
Thank you for your help, and I'll post an update of what worked best so others will be informed.
08-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes, maybe you can just have them hold your mail ( https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail ) and then after you have an address you can tell them where to forward it to. You can set up a P.O. Box here on Oahu right away and then have it forwarded there. Yes, please let us know what worked best for you in the end. It may help others to read what you figured out.
08-28-2012, 10:07 AM
I think I found the answer in the link you posted:

General Delivery
Get your mail even if you’re on the road, new to town, or between permanent addresses.
Mail addressed to you at General Delivery will be held at the area’s main Post Office for up to 30 days. All you have to do is pick it up.
General Delivery is a great choice if you don’t have a permanent address.
People can send you mail by using the town name and ZIP Code™, like this…
JOHN DOE
GENERAL DELIVERY
ANYTOWN NY 12345-9999
In medium to large cities with multiple ZIP Codes, you’ll want to make sure senders use the ZIP Code for the area’s main Post Office. The ZIP+4 extension 9999 indicates general delivery.
To find the main Post Office in an area, speak to any Post Office associate or call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).
Once you’re settled, forward your mail to your new address. Just complete and turn in a change of address form or change your address online.

Thanks again, and I will also post how it went.
08-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Yes, this seems to be the perfect solution! Good luck with your move.
08-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Great topic and one that I'm so experienced at. I ran into this same problem even before I moved here but a person at my old post office on the mainland had a wonderful idea and it worked. I opened a online account with the post office and handled all of my mail transaction through the USPS website. The day after I moved here to Honolulu, I opened a PO Box and then entered all the information into my online account and Bam! It was done!
All the mail that went to my old address on the mainland was forward to the new address and there was no issues as far as moving my mail.
I will warn you about one important thing about the post offices here in Honolulu though. These guys are the laziest bunch people you'll ever run across in your life. I have too many examples to list here but these guys manage to lose registered letters. If you are waiting for a package, it will sit in a back corner of the post office until you complain about it being missing or that they finally get around to cleaning up that side of the post office. This is sad but true.
The other issue I was warned about from many of the locals here is that there is or use to be someone from the post office selling duplicate keys for the PO Boxes here and this is how this works. You are paying for the PO Box each year. In the meantime, other people are getting there mail to the same PO Box too. They are checking there mail and leaving yours behind so that you never know this is going on. So you are paying the fees while other people are getting their mail also. They will still sending those other people's mail to your box until you say something about it.
So the post office here tells you to make sure that you update who is suppose to get mail in that box. Plus,anytime you find someone else mail in your box, you can do a number of things. If there is no line for the counter, give it to the clerk and tell them to have a change of address done for whoever's mail that is coming to your box. You can tell them that there is only the names listed on your file card that is suppose to be coming to that PO Box.
The last one is the best option but it takes over two weeks to do but you have to have a valid reason for doing it though. That is to have the locks and keys changed to brand new one's. The reason that it takes two weeks or more is because it is done on the mainland and then brought over here. Then installed on your PO Boxes and that is why it is the best option. None of this is handled by the postal employees of that station but from someone who does not work at this station. This is done this way in case there is a internal problem with employees at that post office.
Yes, things are not the same as they are on the mainland when it comes to mail service.
Many people get PO Boxes so that they can get their packages from the "will call" window,which is nothing more than a split door like on the old TV Show, "Mr. Ed", with a doorbell next to it. You pay extra for a premium service and privacy. Here, they make you get into the long line with the people who didn't pay extra money to have their mail delivered to a box at the post office. It's like they don't appreciate you spending your own time and gas to pick up your mail? This is very wrong here and they seem too lazy to even answer a door and doorbell here.
These are some of the signs that tells you that you are no longer in Kansas or even the USA anymore. It doesn't do any good to complain about your mail service here either because even that is handled by another lazy person waiting for their retirement in Hawaii.
If this is the worst that it gets though, it's not too bad for Hawaii? You find this kind of stuff everywhere here and nothing gets done as fast as it gets done on the mainland. You slowly learn to settle down and calm down and go with the flow as they say. You may laugh at this whole thing with the mail service here but it's true and even they will tell you some stories. They have seen everything here. Just be friendly,smile a lot with them and tell them calmly what is wrong. They will know who to talk to to fit this problem for you. That is the Hawaiian way as they say,lol.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
08-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the help, as when I asked about doing the stuff online they said I couldn't do it that way. I wish I could say the post office is any different here (in Los Angeles) but it's not. Anywhere that there are goverment workers doing the job (boy, there's an oxymoron) it is a slow painful proccess for them to not help you.
As far as Hawaii time, I really have never had a problem as I have found as long as your not a pushy jerk, have a smile, and ask,don't tell people what to do, everyone I have come accross was wonderful and helpful in every way. It is the slower pace, and the vibe that is most attractive to me. When I am there, most people I talk to are surprised I don't live there already. Yeah it's beautiful, but it's the people and the culture that is attractive to me, and why I am moving.
08-30-2012, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 11:37 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Yeah, I did the same move from Los Angeles to here. Yes, it's much slower to get things done over here and later on, you don't mind that at all. You mostly plan your day around doing that one item and say,well,I'll go to that beach or that store while I'm over in that area. So, that is what seems to be the norm here.
One thing that I will say is that you'll never regret moving here though. When I hear people move back to the mainland, I just shake my head. I am sure that many of them will live with the regret of ever moving back to the mainland and leaving this paradise.
People talk about how expensive it is to live here and I laugh. It's actually half the price of living in LA. Prices for food and stuff are the same but we have a heck of a lot more sales ads here. One of the first lessons I learned here in Hawaii is never buy anything unless it's on sale. The locals here get really upset if you buy things that are not on sale. They rely on the sale ads to save money throughout the year. I will have to agree with them,when an item is for sale, buy four times the amount that you need.
You see,this also plays right into your disaster preparedness plans also. Since we rely heavily on ships to import all of our goods, you never know what will hold the ships from getting here. It could be a labor strike or it could be a major earthquake in California that forces a delay of goods here. Having a full pantry is a must have even in case we have a major tsunami.
BTW, no one ever told me that we have tsunamis every year here. I knew about the bad one on Christmas Day in 2006 but no one mentioned that Hawaii has them every year that are caused from earthquakes around the Ring of Fire or along the Pacific Rim.
Getting back to the cost of living here. I save so much money in other ways here. My car insurance is 25% of what it use to cost me in California based on my zip code in Orange County where you have such a high number of uninsured and unlicensed Hispanic drivers that just seems to drive the insurance costs through the roof. Here I have full coverage on both vehicles and I'm paying 75% cheaper rates. The other major savings is my monthly gasoline costs. Now that gas is cheaper here than California, I don't spend much for gas anymore. You just don't do a whole lot of driving here as compared to California where you have to jump on the freeway just to go to the mall,lol.
You see so many examples of savings here on a daily basis that just makes me wonder how I ever survived in California at all,lol.
You will see this for yourself soon and will begin to enjoy a stress-free lifestyle. Your blood pressure will come down and you'll sleep better at night. Life is good here, I just can't see myself living anywhere else!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
08-31-2012, 04:29 AM
You are so right about southern California, as you can't even take advantage of sales, because it is too much of a nightmare to drive anywhere more than 5 or so miles. I have already gotton into the habit of planning my day around doing one thing, as I can't take the traffic. I also already stock up on things for the same reason, I just don't want to go anywhere, so I guess I have some good habits for Hawaii !!
And that brings me to Hawaiian traffic. Anybody that compains about it sould spend a day (anytime form 6am to 9pm, really) on the 405, or any other LA freeway( or city streets) to see what traffic really is. I comuted 25 miles from the valley to the airport area for 16 years, and that was a 2 hour drive(each way) unless the traffic was bad. But you can set your watch by Honolulu traffic, and it only goes so far, what maybe 10 to 15 miles, and it is not like in LA, where you go into battle. If you put on your blinker, people speed up to not let you in. Try merging onto the freeway, good luck. Never go when the light turns green, as 2 to 3 cars will go thru the red light. When I was last there I went into rush hour(s) traffic, in the AM and PM, to see what the comute whould be to the windward side, north shore, Mililani area, Hawaii Kai, and even Kapolei, and it was nothing. It was a joy to be in the traffic, just turn on the radio (and your spoiled by good music,Hawaiian,reggae, etc., here it's just Mexican polka music, and disco) and relax. Yes it may take a little while to get somewhere, but every one is polite, lets you in, and except for the occasional tourist from LA, everyone is so cool, throwing a shaka when you let them in, instead of the finger. I can't wait!!