Current time: 12-13-2017, 10:43 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When to move to Hawaii for Jobs
07-14-2014, 01:45 PM
When to move to Hawaii for Jobs
Hello To-Hawaii!
First off, thank you for this wonderful question and answer forum! I and three other friends are moving to Kona of the Big Island. We are looking at moving this coming October. My question is, does this give us enough time to look for jobs before the high tourist season gets into swing? We are seasoned waitresses and hope to have enough time to find a good fit. What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your time!!

Blessings,
Marcie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2014, 07:16 AM
RE: When to move to Hawaii for Jobs
Aloha Marcie and welcome to our forum! That's a good question. I would think October is early enough to look for jobs, considering that the main tourist season begins right before Thanksgiving. Good luck with your move and finding a great job in Kona!
07-15-2014, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2014 08:02 AM by mflygare.)
Great! Thank you for the quick response!!! Do you know if Kona has a bus system? Also my friend bought a mini coop. We both live in MN and are thinking of road tripping to Portland to ship it from there. It is a convertible with only 30,000 miles on it. If we did ship it, would it be a car in high demand to sell in the future on the island? Do you believe it would be worth the investment to have a car right away in Kona, which would save time and effort trying to find a car there?

What would you believe a average waitressing salary is in Kona? Just trying to see what the trade offs will be from living costs to working income. We are planning on living very simply in a little shake in Holualoa that a friend built. We also live a fruitarian lifestyle so fresh ripe fruit is one of the main reasons for moving.
Aloha!
07-16-2014, 07:50 AM
There's Hele-On Bus on the Big Island. See their site here: http://www.heleonbus.org On this page http://www.heleonbus.org/schedules-and-maps on the right you'll find a Kona schedule. However, the bus system on the Big Island is by far not as regular or extensive as the one on Oahu. Regarding shipping a car to Hawaii, if you like it and it's worth it for you to take it, I would ship it. I don't know if a mini cooper would be a popular car on the Big Island. I hardly ever see small cars like mini coopers on Oahu. People seem to prefer larger cars and SUVs for some reason (even though it would make sense to have smaller cars on an island where space is limited). Not sure about the average salary for waitresses in Kona. I would think it really depends on where you work. I'm sure the salary (and most of all the tips) are much more generous at one of the upscale resorts compared to a smaller restaurant, for example.