Current time: 11-20-2017, 01:11 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vacation Questions
04-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Shocked Vacation Questions

I am new here, and I have been getting to know everyone. Everyone is so nice! So I have a couple of questions:
I'm trying something new when I arrive to Hawaii with my family, Paddlboarding, or SUP. Is it any fun? My son is a bit afraid of the water, not too much, he knows how to swim. But he's very intimidated by the ocean. I thought that maybe this might be fun for all of us to do together (myself, hubby, and son) We are going to be in Hawaii, Oahu, for 10 nights. So we decided to only rent a car half the time, 5 days. Our hotel charges $30 a day, Craziness. And my other question is, with renting a car do I need to be specific about wanting a car that can carry 3 paddleboards? I'm sure it's going to be an additional charge, which is fine, I'm just kind of worrying about it. Anyways thanks for all your help
~Maholo Binky

This photo is a guy named Fala, and my son Ethan. He wanted to learn how to carve wood into turtles Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2011, 06:37 AM
RE: Vacation Questions
I am not into paddleboarding but you do need to be very carefull when you are in the ocean in Hawaii. You never know when the current might catch you and take you out. It almost happened to me several years ago. You should make sure you go in the water where they have lifeguards for your protection and your son. One year I was in Kauai swimming by myself ONLY 10 feet offshore. I was caught by a tough current and it took me about 5 minutes to get back out of the water and I was in very good shape then. Waikiki beach is a safe place to swim and they have lifeguards there. You can probably rent your paddle boards there right on the beach too. Have a great time!
04-20-2011, 07:23 AM
As far as renting a paddle board, I would check with the Star Beach Boys for that one. Also, I see commercials on TV here for a company that offers paddle board lessons in Haleiwa and they do it just outside of Rainbow Bridge.
As far as a rental car goes, you just might be able to rent a 4 door truck for the paddle boards but a van might be your best option. As long as the paddle board has cases, I don't think they can say much about it.
How much are the paddle boards going to cost you? I know that they sell some good ones a Sam's Club here in town.
BTW, is that guy Hawaiian?
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
04-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I was hoping to just rent the paddle boards in Hawaii. And Yes, i believe Fala is Hawaiian. We met him in front of a hotel near the royal Hawaiian shopping area. He was sitting out front carving different things. My son made friends with him right away.
And I'm thinking maybe we'll have some lesson in Haleiwa. I read somewhere in the Waikiki area has really good deals on paddle boards. Somewhere around $25 a day, or $69 for 4 days. I have seen some really nice ones at Costco. Which i thought was strange, since we don't live any where near an ocean. But many people paddle board in the local lakes.
04-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Yeah,those are like $400 at Sam's Club. We have plenty of time before you come and I'm sure that I will see that commercial again. I'll also keep my eyes open for some good deals for you'all. BTW, what part of the country you'all live? I'm thinking Michigan,Minnesota or Florida since you mentioned that there is lakes all around you. I've been to all those states. I'm pretty good guesser,lol.
04-20-2011, 02:12 PM
It's kinda difficult for me to say where I am currently living. But ok, here it goes. I live in Utah, yes where the Mormons are. I don't live the Mormon lifestyle. I'm originally from Los Angeles, Manhattan Beach to be exact, but we moved here when I was a kid Sad SO with that said, yes we have lots of lakes here, Utah Lake, Great salt lake, Moab, Flaming Gorge, Zions, ect...
04-20-2011, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2011 08:49 PM by kaniamea.)
I have never standup-paddleboarded before, but besides Haleiwa, I would recommend Ala Moana Beach Park. There is even a designated area just for standup-paddleboarders. This is one of the safest beaches on Oahu. There are lifeguards (until 5 pm each day) and the water is usually flat like a lake. What I also like about this beach is that there is a good swimming area where you don't have to worry about scratching your knees and feet on a reef (or falling onto a reef), unlike on Waikiki Beach where there is reef all over. But in Ala Moana, especially on the Magic Island side of the beach, there is a sandy ocean bottom (in the area before the reef begins). So if you enter the water there, it's a great place to learn SUP. It's best to come here on weekdays because in the weekends it's more crowded. But it would be the ideal spot for your son to get used to the ocean.

Whenever you're in Hawaii, be very cautious whenever you go into the ocean. Just this week someone died at Hanauma Bay while snorkeling, even though the beach has lifeguards and is in no way remote. There are many people at Hanauma Bay each day. But the drowning still happened.
04-21-2011, 02:21 AM
I almost drowned in Hanauma bay. I was really shocked. I have asthma so the difference between the water and the regular temperature out of the water causes it to be hard to breathe. I was lucky I made it out OK. I have done swimming in the bay a couple times. It is very nice. Just be careful!
04-21-2011, 03:43 AM
I Hate to hear about drownings, so sad. It really makes me think, and be a bit more cautious. Especially with my son. I grew up staying at my grandma's in California, I'd go swimming everyday in the ocean. I was in the water at least 8-9 hours a day. My son is so much different, he'll spend about an hour and then he's ready to go do something else. He told me he gets a bit panicky and tries to be very careful, which I guess is a good thing he's being cautious. Thank you for telling me about Ala Moana Beach park. I have never swam there, so we'll check it out.
04-21-2011, 11:19 AM
The number one cause of drownings is panic. Your son needs to learn to do the back float and lifeguards can spot that easy also. Plus,in this position,you are able to call out for help and paddle towards the shore. Plus this position will allow you the opportunity to rest and catch your breath.
This can be practiced until he become comfortable with it. The main thing is that panic in any situation solves nothing and almost always gets people killed. There is no such thing as can't. You can and you will if you want to live. I have been teaching this to my kids since they were babies. Both of my kids have known how to swim and swim very well since they were one years old. I taught them how to swim in the ocean first here in Waikiki and then a swimming pool. So both of my kids have been able to swim the length of a Olympic size pool by themselves since the age of one.
Of course,we were smart to start them when they were only a couple months old but it's never too late to learn.
Actually, the ocean even sometimes scares us adults for different reasons. Waves to rough,haven't swam in a while, Box Jellyfish and so on. Taking your time to build your confidence up in the water will also help you to avoid problems. Just remember that you always have the back float to fall back on and you'll be just fine.