Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:41 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Starting a branch office in Hawaii
05-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Starting a branch office in Hawaii
Hello
I own an Interior Finishing business here in Canada, supplying and installing specialized Wall Protection/Covering to the Health Care an
Hospitality Industry. We are looking at opening an office in Oahu and
potentially in Maui and Kauai. We will be hiring local staff and installers.
How do I go about getting dual citizenship, visa and/or work visa for there. I eventually would like to move there so I can better build the
business. Please, can anybody assist me in this process, or if anyone knows of individuals who might be interested in working for us, or a joint venture or business partners, please send us a message.

Aloha.
Scotty G
Director/Owner
West Coast Interiors Ltd.[/size][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
RE: Starting a branch office in Hawaii
Aloha Scotty and welcome to our forum. This is a tricky question you're asking and I would definitely recommend that you seek advice from a U.S. immigration attorney. As far as I know there is the E-2 visa that allows foreign investors to set up a business in the U.S. But this is a non-immigrant visa that doesn't lead to a green card or citizenship. However, it can be renewed for as long as the business is profitable and you hire American citizens. You can read more about this visa here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-2_visa . But again, it's certainly the best if you speak to a legal expert. Also, as far as I know, this seems to be the only option for foreigners who would like to set up a business in the U.S. There is only one other EB5 visa, but for this one you need to invest around $500,000 to $1 million and hire more employees. So the E-2 visa seems easier because smaller investment amounts are possible.
Find all posts by this user
05-13-2011, 08:58 AM
RE: Starting a branch office in Hawaii
Aloha Scotty,
This is a really tough question unless you are single. I sponsored my wife from Canada and it has been smooth sailing except that they raise the fees for each step every time you turn around for each step.
I actually found it was easier in the beginning to walk into the U.S.Immigration office and ask questions. The one bad thing that I've heard over and over since I moved here to Hawaii is never trust a lawyer from here. There are lawyers that fight for you and then there are like the ones from here,that take your money and just show up for the court dates and that's it.
Since this is a federal issue,then it shouldn't matter what state your lawyer is from is my logic. Our attorney is in California and they have been on top of all the changes and has never failed to contact us for any problems.
There is more I would like to add but this forum isn't really the place for it. If you want to PM me here,that isn't a problem. I am sure that you have a lot more questions that need to be asked and I will help where I can.
Thanks for joining our ohana forum and we welcome your posts. If you do expand to Hawaii, please keep us up to date of any job postings for this forum is probably viewed by a lot of expat that lives here in Hawaii. Jobs are very important these days everywhere. Let us know your progress, you just may surprise us with new information.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user