Current time: 11-24-2017, 12:26 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Severe Weather Where You Live !
05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
RE: Severe Weather Where You Live !
I got two texts messages from Anne. The first one said "tornado two miles away" and the second one said ,"Survived the tornado with oldest grandson in basement of daughters home". It was scary about not know after the first text what was going to happen.
As it turns out,they were hit by a tornado but their home was spared. I was finally able to get a hold of her by phone. She said that they had very large hail and really hard rain that leaked into the basement during the tornado. That it sounded like a freight train going through the house and made to whole house shake.
They may of lost some shingles off the roof but they are certainly alive and that is what really matters. I am so thankful because Anne is a really nice person and you would really know that if you ever met her in person.

Dude,
It is said that "the bigger you give,the bigger you get" and that means that these guys have to make some shady deals just to get the money to get elected. Once they are in office,it's not the people interest in mind but how to return favors without too much public outcry that matters. The unions were promised these jobs and now they must deliver. That is the way it works here.
By the way Dude, only three more days and you'll be in paradise!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2011, 05:36 PM
I saw that the storms were to the south of us again. We had a little thunder and lightning but no storms. We did receive about an inch of rain last night and drizzle all day today. The cold front that you saw to our west yesterday broke up into little cells as it passed through our area.
05-26-2011, 01:52 AM
After hearing the stories here I feel really lucky that I did not have any real problems in Maryland. WonderinginWaikiki is not that lucky, he gets to see me soon!!!!!Big Grin Guess his luck is running out!!!!Big Grin
05-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I could have a cold beer waiting for you at the airport,lol.
05-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Have a great trip!
05-27-2011, 02:02 AM
(05-26-2011 05:03 PM)WonderinginWaikiki Wrote:   I could have a cold beer waiting for you at the airport,lol.

I will call you when I get there. Big Grin
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Hope that you two are having fun ! The weather alert radio went off this evening and mentioned our little village in a warning, but it must have blown over us, but we went to the basement for a little while.
06-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Aloha Rich,
I recently bought the Eton FR600R Emergency Radio that the American Red Cross sells at some locations but not here. They had the FR360 and the FR500 but neither one had the S.A.M.E. Weather Alert feature. So I went online to bid on it on ebay and kept getting outbided or the shipping was outrageous or they wouldn't ship to Hawaii and that happens a lot.
I ended up going to Amazom.com where they offer free shipping for orders that are over $25.
I finally got it about a week ago and it works great! I set it up and had it sitting in oufr bedroom and it went off like a charm and scared the jeepers out of everyone when it went off. That was Friday evening just before that first big thunderstorm hit. It worked again on Saturday before our big electrical storm hit also. That radio let us know something was up even before it started to happen. It's a great feeling that this radio performs like it's suppose to.
It charges up by crank and solarlink and even charges up cell phones. I ordered the AC Adapter online but the post office again lost our package. The post office here has the laziest employees and losing our mail seems to be common practice here. I honestly don't believe that there is another post office in this country that is ran more poorly than this one. It seems that this post office would have the most importance based on location. We are pretty islolated here from the rest of the world and the postal service should be at it's best and it's not.
Getting back to our storms here. On Saturday, they registered over 14,000 lightning strikes within a 12 hour period but it was more like within a 8 hour period. They had a thunderstorm that just sat over the middle of the island and just poured heavy rain none stop. Kam Hwy was shut down early and it was a blessing for many people. Within an hour and half,the heavy rains caused landslides in many places along Kam Hwy. We also had a small landslide on the east side of Diamond Head on Saturday morning but was quickly reopened later on Saturday morning.
Saturday night's electrical storm was something that I've may have been a once a lifetime event. This same storm also caused 8 inches of snow on the Big Island. First time since 1972 that we've had snow in the summer here.
I'll give you an idea of what Saturday nights electrical storm was like. If you took gaint strobe lights and set them up around Waikiki and everyone fired them up a different times at once,that would give you some idea of what it was like. This lasted for hours and hours, I went with a friend to the top of Diamond Head, The viewpoint near the bay and then over to Sandy's Beach Park. I shot a couple hours of digital video but can't seem to post them here and don't want to go through the hassle of YouTube. YouTube,what a nightmare.
Dude, flew out to Kauai Saturday morning and missed the whole event and seemed bummed about it.What was cool about Saturday's storm was that it didn't rain here in Waikiki. In fact,you would have had to drive to Waimanalo to catch any that night. Marine Corps Base Hawaii in Keneohe just got pounded that night because of it's location during that storm.
Now they are saying that we might get the same thing this Thursday. I will have my camera ready for this one too.
06-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Wow, you are getting electrical storms like we are getting floods back here. Already at flood stage, the level in the Missouri River is expected be 5 feet higher by morning. We are 15 miles from the river. A heavy rain would really compound the problems.
ABC had some good pics of the lava flow on the BI tonight.