Current time: 12-10-2017, 03:48 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Polynesian Cultural Center
05-14-2011, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 01:57 PM by eleakai.)
Polynesian Cultural Center
Here are some pics that I assembled into a movie tonight while keeping my toes warm and thinking of Hawaii Smile

Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2011, 07:59 PM
RE: Polynesian Cultural Center
That's a good way to keep your toes warm Smile. Thank you for posting these pics. I have been to the Polynesian Cultural Center a few times in the past. Admission fees are a bit pricey but luckily I never had to pay because I used to work for a large activity reseller and as a promotion all the employees could go there for free. I was even able to get 2 free tickets including the luau and the night show when my aunt visited three years ago.
Find all posts by this user
05-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes, it may seem pricey but then when you compare it to the price of a couple of hours at a Luau, it really isn't. At the PCC, there are a ton of people working to make your visit memorable. You were forturnate to have free tickets.
On one visit, I was playing a game with a young man from Samoa. He asked where on the mainland we were from. I said a small city in Nebraska. He said oh, which one. I said Hastings but you have probably never heard of it. He replied that he knew it well as he had been a student at Hastings College where I worked. Small world !
05-16-2011, 02:17 AM
I really love going to the Polynesian Cultural Center! I go there every time I go to Hawaii. The only bad part is that you are not allowed to drink while there! Oh well, it is still one of my favorite things to do in Hawaii! The next day I make up with the bars in Waikiki!!!! Big Grin
05-16-2011, 04:28 PM
I think that the no-booze might restrict some attendance as for those on a limited time or budget, they will look more for the party. It has never bothered me to not be able to drink. As far as the Luau goes, the food is average luau fare but the program is a bit lacking in my opinion. Like you, we usually visit the PCC whenever we are on Oahu.
05-16-2011, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2011 06:45 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Last summer, I bought the whole family the Kama'aina Annual Passes for PCC. We saw one of the first showings of Ha-Breathe of Life and we simply didn't like it at all. It was not nearly as good as their "Horizons" show. It wasn't as colorful and the music didn't match the story in any way. Everyone seemed out of place and the story itself lack substance.
The story needs to have something that we didn't know about the Hawaiian culture. Maybe they(PCC) would benefit more by teaching us more about something more modern in content like something about Eddie Aikau and the lives he saved and how he died trying to save more lives while in the middle of the ocean.
In spite of them currently offering a "I've heard this story before somewhere" show, I will still renew our membership passes and I will tell you why. The PCC offers other shows throughout the year such as the one I just missed. I really wanted to see the Fire Knife Competition and I would of if it was held only two weeks later. The kids would of all been out of school and we could of went to every night of the competition and yes,spent some money also.
Because they fell on school nights, we didn't go. Saturday is like our recovery day from the school week after taking the kids back and forth to school and fighting with them to get their homework done.
Also,PCC has best Halloween show that we've ever been to.The money that we save on the parking alone also makes it worth it. In fact,they raised the parking fees last summer and I have a feeling that this current show doesn't bring back repeat customers either and I know that is true for us.
Also,the best part of going to PCC is the little show when they first open. It's kind of like a luau on a canoe that goes through the middle of the park. I don't remember what they call it but it would be a great benefit to repeat that part later in the day like 4pm so that local kids get to see this after they arrive from school. This would increase more local customers during the week. I simply will not go to PCC during the week if I can't this part of the attraction. I am like everyone else and maybe we'll go on a weekend so that we can see the whole thing and that is so true.
It could be the case that this attraction is run by a bunch of young adults that are still in college who don't have the time to put much thinking into it's shows and the planning of each days events.
I know that I am expressing more of a local view to PCC that will,of course, be more critical than a tourist view of someone that has never seen PCC before and it's shows for the first time. It really is a beautiful place and located on a great part of the island.
Above all else, I strongly recommend that you take a full day and visit this attraction,if for anything,it's artful and cultural history of the local people. This attraction is more than just about Hawaii and the Hawaiian history. It's more about different cultures that found Hawaii and made it their home. You will find artifacts and traditions that enhance the history of Hawaii. I will stand by my next statement that PCC still and I hope it will always have the best Luau in the islands. I have been to most of them here in the islands and hands down, the Polynesian Cultural Center has the best.
As far as drinking there, a bus driver once said that PCC doesn't sell alcohol but they don't go out of their way of preventing you from drinking it. You will find people opening cans of beer and drinking on the buses that take you there. You are not searched or patted down like those unsavory characters that you find at the airport trying to cop a feel more than trying to prevent a terrorists from boarding a plane.
After all, this is Hawaii and the land of Aloha.Actually, I would still go to PCC even if they didn't have a show. The education you get from going village to village and the arts and crafts alone is worth going there. I love this attraction or I wouldn't spent the money for their Kama'aina Annual Passes. See you there!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
05-16-2011, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2011 07:55 PM by kaniamea.)
How much is their annual kama'aina pass? As far as the evening show, I haven't seen their new one yet, but I liked the Horizons show. The afternoon show is called Pageant of the Long Canoes. It begins at 2 pm. One time I arrived shortly before 2 pm and all the shady and good spots were taken. There is not much shade in this area of the park. So it was really hot when I was there and the show lasts about 45 minutes. So it's best to arrive early, at least around 1:15 pm if you want a good spot.
Find all posts by this user