Current time: 12-11-2017, 06:20 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moving to Hilo
10-31-2012, 03:49 AM
Moving to Hilo
Aloha......my partner and i are looking to move to the Hilo area in december 2013. We are both retired and tired of the winters in Ohio and were wondering if we could survive on the Big Island on 2,000 a month. We are debt free and we have lived in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico so we know how life can be living on an island and we know about "Rock Fever". Any help or advice youcan throw at us would be great
Mahalo
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2012, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 05:43 AM by kaniamea.)
RE: Moving to Hilo
Aloha John, you can certainly find more affordable rentals on the Big Island compared to the other Hawaiian islands. A decent apartment or small house can be found for around $1000. The Kona area is more expensive. One of the most affordable areas is the Puna district. The food is expensive though. So it might be a bit tight to have all bills covered with $2000/month. It also depends on if you have a car, need health insurance, etc. I myself have never suffered from "Rock Fever." Some people do and then move away after a few years. I guess it's a personal choice. Good luck with your move!
Find all posts by this user
11-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Mahalo Kaniamea! We have Medicare as a health insurance so we are good to go there. I've noticed in Hilo we can get apartments in Hilo for around 700 some including utilities and thats about what we pay here in Dayton! The food issue is what interests me. I'm looking at safeway and KTA ads and it seems its only a little more than here...about the same as it was in the USVI and Puerto Rico. Like you, Rock Fever never affects me....it seems on the Big Island theres plenty to do and alot of culture to absorb! How is the farmers markets as far as cost on fresh stuff? I've seen many brag on the Hilo market and can not wait to experience it..is is cheaper than the stores? I'm so glad I found this message board because I think you guys will more than prepare us for this move....so mahalo once again!
11-02-2012, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 01:08 AM by kaniamea.)
Yes, you may be able to find a small apartment in the Hilo area for $700. I don't know if the food prices on the Big Island are higher than in the USVI or Puerto Rico as I've never been there. But generally speaking, if you always try to shop what's on sale (and then buy more of that item and store it at home), then you should be able to manage. It also depends on what food you usually buy (organic food vs. regular food). For example, it will be more costly if you shop at organic food markets vs. regular supermarkets. The farmer's markets are a good alternative to get good and affordable fresh foods. The great thing about living in Hawaii is that you save a lot on clothing! You really don't need many clothes or fancy stuff. Also, no need to heat your house (as long as you live at sea level). Yes, there are so many things to do on all the islands and the Big Island is huge compared to the others. If you like the island lifestyle it is impossible to get bored.
11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Aloha! Thanks again for all the info you have given me. There is nothing like talking to a local to really get the feel of the place. Without a doubt I do love the island lifestyle and the more I talk to you and others I'm beginning to think I could spend a life time just exploring the islands and I'm beginning to see that each island has its own unique way and culture. One of the reasons I find Hilo so attractive is that there is a section of folks who still retain their Japanese culture ( I lived there for 6 years of my life). In fact just the blend of al the different cultures is a big reason Hawaii is going to be home. I've been told the UH in Hilo is a great place to take classes including classes about hawaiian culture and its language! Now my next question for you....whats the process in registering a vehicle. Here in the midwest we don't have safety inspections and I'm told Hawaii does. What exactly are they looking at and roughly how much does the inspection cost as well as the registering? Also how much more expensive is car insurance? Here in Ohio I pay roughly 75.00 a month for liability and comprehensive collision on my 96 Geo Prizm..again Mahola my friend...you are truly a blessing!
11-11-2012, 10:39 AM
I don't know much about how to register a car and car insurance because I don't own one, but I found two helpful links for you:
http://www1.honolulu.gov/csd/vehicle/mvehicle.htm
http://hawaii.gov/dot/highways/hwy-v
Good luck with your move!
11-17-2012, 08:03 AM
I just moved to Hilo a little over a month ago, and am also looking into the registration and tag issues. I traveled 3 months across country from Florida and shipped my Class B Camper Van to Hilo from Oakland, CA, Matson Shipping (I took a plane). Luckily it arrived two days before the Tsunami warning on Oct. 27th.
I am living on less than $2000/month and have not found it a hardship to eat normally - depends on your likes I guess - I eat a simple diet. Lucky to find a nice efficiency apartment through an online friend here in Hilo for $625/mo.(all utilities included, i.e. electric too) at Waiakea Villas in Hilo. My friend told me that electric can be a very expensive add on if not included in rent.
11-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Yes, true. Electricity is quite expensive in Hawaii but I have found that if you don't use air-conditioning and turn off your computer and TV when you don't use it it's not that bad.