Current time: 10-17-2017, 03:53 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Last Night's Sunset-Guess what you missed?
04-18-2011, 08:16 PM
RE: Last Night's Sunset-Guess what you missed?
(04-18-2011 08:06 AM)HawaiianBinky Wrote:  Wow, these are amazing photos. It literally almost brought me to tears... Thank you so much for sharing! Smile

Thank you for taking the time to look through our ohana forum and discovering our pictures of Hawaii. This is one of the few picture forums out there on the net about Hawaii. Between having a "summer cold" here in Hawaii and the cloudy or voggy weather patterns that we get here from time to time, I haven't posted many pictures lately. I did go out and shot some full moon stuff recently. I am hoping to get that up on here soon. Sometimes it looks good on my camera screen and not so good once I upload them onto my computer. Plus, I am in dyer need of a new camera. The one I have now got hit by a wave while I was taking pictures of some tourists with their camera. I really don't mind being asked to do this,it happens all the time. I just need to be more careful next time,lol.
I like your on-screen name and I noticed that your picture looks like it was taken at Sandy's, am I correct?
Again,thanks for your posts and keep coming back. This website is designed for people like me and you. Hawaii addicts that is,lol. Yes, someday, doctors will come up with a name for this illness and they will all recommend that insurance companies purchase one way tickets to Hawaii to cure us all. Wouldn't that be funny! Then on the other hand, I've been here for two years now and I'm still not cured,lol. Yep,take this chill pill,have a couple of drinks,breathe, relax and then call me next month,lol. Don't worry, I'll forward the bill to your insurance. Next month we'll see about get you some surfing lesson. See the nurse outside for your next appointment. Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing?
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2011, 03:21 AM
(04-18-2011 08:16 PM)WonderinginWaikiki Wrote:  
(04-18-2011 08:06 AM)HawaiianBinky Wrote:  Wow, these are amazing photos. It literally almost brought me to tears... Thank you so much for sharing! Smile

Thank you for taking the time to look through our ohana forum and discovering our pictures of Hawaii. This is one of the few picture forums out there on the net about Hawaii. Between having a "summer cold" here in Hawaii and the cloudy or voggy weather patterns that we get here from time to time, I haven't posted many pictures lately. I did go out and shot some full moon stuff recently. I am hoping to get that up on here soon. Sometimes it looks good on my camera screen and not so good once I upload them onto my computer. Plus, I am in dyer need of a new camera. The one I have now got hit by a wave while I was taking pictures of some tourists with their camera. I really don't mind being asked to do this,it happens all the time. I just need to be more careful next time,lol.
I like your on-screen name and I noticed that your picture looks like it was taken at Sandy's, am I correct?
Again,thanks for your posts and keep coming back. This website is designed for people like me and you. Hawaii addicts that is,lol. Yes, someday, doctors will come up with a name for this illness and they will all recommend that insurance companies purchase one way tickets to Hawaii to cure us all. Wouldn't that be funny! Then on the other hand, I've been here for two years now and I'm still not cured,lol. Yep,take this chill pill,have a couple of drinks,breathe, relax and then call me next month,lol. Don't worry, I'll forward the bill to your insurance. Next month we'll see about get you some surfing lesson. See the nurse outside for your next appointment. Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing?

Well I'm sorry you have been sick. I too have been getting over a nasty cold....
And I'm sorry about your camera. I am getting ready to buy a new one in a bout a month. I want to have a nice new camera when I come to Oahu in July! Thank you for liking my pic, it was actually taken at Waimea bay.
And it's true, I'm a true Hawaiian addict. Hello, my name is Binky and I'm a Hawaiian addict....It's been 3 years since I last used (not really used of course, just since I've been there Lol) I have actually contemplated on moving to Hawaii. When I do actually make it happen, I want to do it right. I know it's very expensive to live there. And I'm hoping my education (when I'm finally done) will make it easier to live there. I am studying nursing, and I hear they make pretty good money there!!?? We'll see though. Anyways it was very nice meeting you, and I'll be on here lots and lots, as I plan my trip, 3 months to go! Smile
Find all posts by this user
04-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Aloha Binky,
Yes, I don't think we have a ten step program for that yet,lol. Expensive,not in the last several years. It's a third of the cost to live in California these days.Food is the same price as it is on the mainland and you can make up for the rest online. Yes,the Japanese investors ran up the prices in the early 1990's but has come back way down now.
After you finish nursing school and get a couple years experience, you will have no problem getting a high paying job as a nurse here. They even have three month nursing contracts here because we are hurting in those areas. Imagine that, a paid working vacation in paradise. That is so unreal in other places around the country.
It will be hot here in July but you'll have a nice cool ocean to swim in to cool off,lol. I hope you do your research of this forum and take note of some of the companies I mention for good deals on lodging and tours. Don't forget to order your Entertainment Book before coming here. That book will save you hundreds of dollars alone. You have a AAA card? Take off another 10%-20% off of your car rentals and restaurant bills. Hotels,go to http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com for another 30%-50% off when you book within 30 days of travel at top named hotels. Or how about a condo? Try http://www.vrbo.com for the best prices on condos here. Well,you get my point,the more you save,the more you can spend.
I hope that you two have a wonderful vacation here in July. I'm happy that you love my pictures. I trust that you will become family here and start posting your own pictures soon enough,lol.
04-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Wow, thanks for all of the great advice!!! We have everything paid for except a car. I purchased our tickets through costco travel(flight and hotel), I went on different places like Expedia, cheap rooms.com, and many others, and found that we saved about 32% going through costco. I periodically check costco to see if our exact trip is the same in price. And it's gone up significantly! I googled around a bit and I guess prices are going up because Hawaii is going to have a lot less tourist, Japanese tourist mostly. They were concerned about the amount of cancellations, and lack of money that should come into the Hawaiian economy. I don't know how much of that is true??
I have a few years till I finish, and I plan on getting some experience where I'm living. So maybe I'll be moving there in about 5 years. My husband has a math degree, and works as a software developer. So maybe those two jobs, Nursing and software, would make things easier if we decide to move there.
And yes, I'm not too excited about going in July, we were suppose to go around the end of May beginning of June, but my husbands work is really busy until the end of June.... Undecided But I'm still happy to go no matter what! And my son is going as well, and he is so excited. I'm going to try to get him to jump off that rock at Waimea bay. And I apologize I think I have hijacked your thread. Maybe I'll start a new one. Like, tips for traveling to Oahu, or traveling with a grumpy 13 year old. Anyways thank you for all you great advice Smile
04-20-2011, 02:58 AM
You are welcome. Anyway that I can help,no problem. Now, what to do about a 13 year boy who gets bored easy? There is the Bishop Museum and the Discovery Center. If you go to the Discovery Center, be sure to bring a cardboard box that your son can fit in. Many of the local kids slide down a hill there on these boxes and it's a lot of fun.
I think a surfing lesson could be in order also. I can hook you guys up with that one after you arrive and when you know that you'll have a few hours to kill during a low tide.Sometimes it's in the morning and sometimes it's in the afternoon. You also have the YMCA at Keana Point with a confidence course and Ziplines for him. This was recently featured on the new hit TV series, "Hawaii Five-0".
Now,for a rental car, I'd go with with Discount Car Rentals Hawaii. It's funny,I have two vehicles that I hardly ever drive anymore,lol. They also have these noisy three wheel scooters that you can rent in front of the Waikiki Marriott. Your son would love those even if he can't drive them. Or how about doing a ATV tour of Hawaii and he can drive that. It's at Kualoa Ranch near the North Shore. This is where they film Lost,JP1,2,3,4, Tropic Thunder,48 First Dates and now-Hawaii Five-0.
How about a good, old fashion fishing trip? You will find coupons for many of these things in the Entertainment Book. Even though I live here,I buy that book every year. Each book saves me about $600 a year.
Let me know what you think and I will try to help you plan your stay and things to do. It's not a problem and I'm always looking for something to do with my time. If you plan your trip while we are having a full moon, mom and dad can enjoy romantic evenings on the beach and enjoy the moonlit beaches. That is also one of my favorite times to go fishing here in Waikiki. We can teach your son to fish for bait fish to put onto the much larger surf casting poles. Just a thought for now...lol.
04-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Aloha bro! I will need to call you to get the lowdown on a car rental and maybe a couple extra days in Waikiki. I need to figure out all this stuff in a week or so. I will track you down!!!Smile
04-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Thank you so much with all of your help. I really appreciate it! How much is that Entertainment Book? And have you heard of KOS Tours? A friend of mine went on it, she's a huge Lost fan. She told me how amazing it is, a bit pricey but worth it. I friend-ed them on Facebook and looking into maybe going on one of their tours...
04-20-2011, 08:40 AM
KOS Tours, never heard of them? I do understand that a lot of these companies do promote themselves on Facebook like Hawaii Discovery Tours, which Enid and I went on just this passed Christmas. That was a great tour and we went on the very first night they started the Honolulu Xmas tour. They took us to Roundtop Drive above the city lights of Waikiki. I thought it was one of the best tours I've ever taken here in Waikiki. I tried to give them a nice plug on Tripadvisor but I had a lot of trouble on their website and couldn't enter the information at the time.
Well, I'm sure that everything will come together for you. Half the fun of Hawaii is planning a trip there. Then I couldn't sleep the night before each trip,lol.
04-26-2011, 08:18 PM
I haven't done any of the KOS Tours at Kualoa Ranch, but I have known them for a long time. I have even met the owner once when I was still working for a Hawaii activity company. He tries to make his tours personal and from what I have heard is that he takes you to some cool spots in Kualoa Valley.

I have done some tours that Kualoa Ranch offers, including the Jungle expedition, the movie tour and a horseback riding tour. The Jungle expedition was pretty wild. The movie tour was fun and interesting, but I didn't like the horseback riding tour. I have never sat on a horse before and I thought it would be an easy ride suitable for beginners. But was I wrong! My horse was a wild one and when one of the other horses started running, mine was the one chasing it! I could hardly hold on! I don't think I want to do a horseback tour again.

If you want to do a great Oahu south shore tour, I wrote about a few interesting places that I once visited and wrote about. And the good thing is that these attractions are all free. Here's the link: http://www.to-hawaii.com/blog/2010/08/18...ided-tour/
05-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Here are a few more sunset photos from this and last week. Enjoy!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)