Current time: 10-18-2017, 01:13 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kualoa Ranch movie tour
05-04-2011, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 03:46 PM by kaniamea.)
Kualoa Ranch movie tour
This past Sunday I went to Kualoa Ranch. A couple of years ago I did a horseback riding tour there and last Sunday I did the movie tour that they offer. Quite a few movies have been filmed at Kualoa Valley and Ka’a’awa Valley, such as Jurassic Park, Pearl Harbor, LOST, 50 First Dates, Godzilla, Windtalkers, Mighty Joe Young and many others. The tour is one hour long and first takes you to a bunker that was built during World War II. It overlooks the ocean. Inside, there is a small “movie museum” which consists mainly of movie posters, all from movies that have been filmed at Kualoa.

After that, the tour guide drove into the valley. I’ve been to Kualoa Ranch two times in the past but this time there were many cows in the valley, hundreds of them. The guide explained that the farm rotates the cows every few days. Since it’s a big ranch encompassing 4,000 acres, they rotate the animals every few days, so on this day they were all roaming in Kualoa Valley. The guide told us that these aren’t dairy cows. Once they grow bigger, they are eventually all shipped to the mainland where they will be fattened up a bit more than then used for meat production.

After some more facts about the ranch, he drove us to the footsteps of Godzilla. He said the footsteps used to be 8-10 feet deep when the movie was filmed there, but because some cows accidentally fell into the footsteps at night, they had to fill them, so now they are just a foot deep. The most interesting part about the tour was simply enjoying the scenery of the valley, which is surrounded by the Ko’olau Mountain Range. Here are some pictures from the tour.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2011, 05:03 PM
RE: Kualoa Ranch movie tour
Great tour!
05-05-2011, 01:50 AM
Looks like a fun day! Really nice views.
05-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Beautiful. On this particular tour, do you go on any of the Lost sets?
05-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Aloha Binky, the tour guide told us that LOST was filmed all over the place in the valley, so there is not a specific location where we went.
05-09-2011, 12:45 AM
I know that if you continue down the road and make a left at the 76 Station and go up the hill and around to the right towards the ocean, you can still see the passenger jet that crashed on "Lost".
I haven't done this movie tour yet.I was suppose to go with my daughters class to Hawaii Nature Center but the rain overnight caused the stream guages to go up and then they started getting a lot of rain up in the mountains just as we were loading up on the buses. They called and said they were being forced to close the national park just after a Flood Watch was issued by the NWS. We're going to try again before the end of the school year sometime.
Yeah,that looks like a great movie tour with the bunker and all. That would be cool for a member here to win four tickets for this attraction. Hint,hint,lol.

P.S.- Cool pictures!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
05-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Where can I win some tickets????Big Grin
05-09-2011, 05:31 AM
Well I feel silly. I re-read kaniamea post and Lost is in the list... Oops! Well great pics and the tour looks like a ton of fun! Can't wait to set foot on the island Smile
09-14-2012, 06:27 AM
i have what is probably the same guy on video cam joking about the cows in the footprints as well. He also led the secret island tour. He wasn't bad looking!! LOL!!

(05-04-2011 03:36 PM)kaniamea Wrote:  This past Sunday I went to Kualoa Ranch. A couple of years ago I did a horseback riding tour there and last Sunday I did the movie tour that they offer. Quite a few movies have been filmed at Kualoa Valley and Ka’a’awa Valley, such as Jurassic Park, Pearl Harbor, LOST, 50 First Dates, Godzilla, Windtalkers, Mighty Joe Young and many others. The tour is one hour long and first takes you to a bunker that was built during World War II. It overlooks the ocean. Inside, there is a small “movie museum” which consists mainly of movie posters, all from movies that have been filmed at Kualoa.

After that, the tour guide drove into the valley. I’ve been to Kualoa Ranch two times in the past but this time there were many cows in the valley, hundreds of them. The guide explained that the farm rotates the cows every few days. Since it’s a big ranch encompassing 4,000 acres, they rotate the animals every few days, so on this day they were all roaming in Kualoa Valley. The guide told us that these aren’t dairy cows. Once they grow bigger, they are eventually all shipped to the mainland where they will be fattened up a bit more than then used for meat production.

After some more facts about the ranch, he drove us to the footsteps of Godzilla. He said the footsteps used to be 8-10 feet deep when the movie was filmed there, but because some cows accidentally fell into the footsteps at night, they had to fill them, so now they are just a foot deep. The most interesting part about the tour was simply enjoying the scenery of the valley, which is surrounded by the Ko’olau Mountain Range. Here are some pictures from the tour.
09-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I've always wanted to do the Secret Island tour. Is it worth it? Which one you like better? So far I've only done horseback riding there and the Jungle Expedition and Movie Tour.