Current time: 11-24-2017, 05:52 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
HI! All!
04-14-2011, 05:16 AM
RE: HI! All!
Hi all!

I was at the library until 2:30 and even though I havent worked since Aug..I still OWE! that stinks!

I heard on the news that a person that was missing from Japan was found off the shores of Oregan. so I guess the debris can move faster than they thought!

WW are you filling any better?

anne
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2011, 11:41 AM
The other day on the news,they showed a very large debris field from a helicopter just offshore near the North Shore. Even last night, that big storm just southwest of us that is making the surf really rough,you could see all this garbage along the shore and pieces of wood floating. A couple of friends came over to fish and I used one of their poles to catch bait fish. So I caught seven small silver fish the locals call "holy holy" fish. I'm sure that isn't the correct spelling but only the way it's pronounced. They are about 4"-6" long and you put them onto the hooks of the bigger poles and cast them way out to sea to catch the really big fish. It only takes one of these big fish to feed my family for a week and therefore worth catching.
They have discovered radiation in the milk here from our cows on the Big Island but still say that it's safe to drink. They say that radioactive dust is all over everything here including the feed that the cows eat. They say that they have sent radioactive samples to Atlanta, Georgia for further testing but we haven't heard anything back about those samples sent out over two weeks ago. There has been some talk about giving kids here Potassium Iodide or IA tablets to protect their Thyroid glands. That you don't need to take it if you are above the age of 40 years old. The kids got theirs already but we haven't been told when to give it to them yet. All this stuff in Japan is much worse than anyone ever expected. To top all that off,they've had two 7.4 earthquakes that lasted more than 5 minutes each in just the past week. So this is a sign that we must get prepared in case of another big quake and tsunami. They say that one ship from Matson supplies this island with enough food to last 8 days only. FEMA says that we should store enough food to last 3 days on the mainland and 5 days on Hawaii. On the other hand,the way our government responds,I think we should have at least three weeks supply on hand,lol. We have about three cases of Spam and figure that a family of four will need two cans a day to survive,lol.
So they found a survivor floating on a debris field in Oregon is just unreal. I didn't hear about that one yet but I did watch a dog get rescued from one about a week ago on TV here though. I often wonder about the 25,000 bodies they haven't found yet? Will they wash up on the shores here or elsewhere? Makes me wonder if fishing here is really a good idea or not. Not something that I'd want to catch,that's for sure.
I'm glad to see that you are able to login now Anne. No,I haven't looked for any places for you yet. You just got to check the craigslist ads for this island until you find something. I have heard from a friend that they have new condos in Kapolei that charges only 10% of whatever your social security check is per month. I hear that they are really nice. I'm trying to get more info on that one for myself also,lol.
I hope everyone is doing fine. We are suppose to get thunderstorms again tonight or a good chance for them. I will see you all soon. Bye for now.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
04-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Yes, it's certainly a good idea to be prepared for any type of natural disaster in Hawaii. I have emergency food at home that lasts me for 6 weeks. No spam though, as I'm a vegetarian, lol. I like the Mountain House brand. They produce all kinds of freeze dried foods and they say that the containers last up to 20 years if you don't open them until you need the food.
I've heard this strange news that the northern part of Japan may collapse into the ocean some day in the future. I wonder what kind of tsunami this would produce. For sure Hawaii would then be no more. Maybe just the mountaintops would be left. All these so-called "aftershocks" are certainly not a good sign. I cannot imagine what the residents of this area must go through emotionally. I don't think I would be able to handle this.
I didn't know that they sent tests to Atlanta. I wonder how much radiation Hawaii received. Maybe they won't announce the real results because that would be bad for tourism.
04-15-2011, 03:45 AM
Yes, that is a good point about the tourism angle. I remember one station saying that they have a webcam of those monitors and I really meant to go look at those and bookmark that and put it here. Have you noticed all the education channels here discussing the effects of radiation on the body and what to look for. I think it's been on channel 53 and 54(nasa) on Time Warner?
BTW, the debris that has been showing up in Waikiki is from the tsunami here,they think. They are saying that the debris field from Japan is 70 miles by 120 miles in size. It is already a problem for the Navy and our shipping lanes.You may think it's just a bunch of wood but it's not. It's over 200,000 homes and it's contents,cars,buses,trucks,boats and bodies. So this is a very big threat to Hawaii,the US West Coast and Canada. This is very shocking.
The tsunami wiped out 400 hundred miles of Japan's coastline and went 6 miles in,which is approximately 2400 miles of surface area of Japan that is now floating in the water. Now they are saying that there appears to be more than one of these debris islands floating out there. This is very sad.
Yes,aftershocks and new quakes is really an emotional drain on the people there. There is some talk about our government loosening up some visa rules for the Japanese to stay in the USA longer on current and new visas due to the ongoing crisis. Part of this is due to the fact that the Japanese government has been too proud to formally ask for our help. Our governments have had the most wonderful friendship since the end of WWII. A few minor trade wars here and there but nothing major. So,our concern for the Japanese people must be shown in some way I think. Of course, first things first. Getting help to the people anyway allowed for now.
As I sit here typing this post,I am looking at the most wonderful moon. It's not quite full but very,very beautiful. I wish that everyone that reads this post understands how the people here feel about life,nature,weather,moon and stars as something you don't feel everyday and not everywhere either but you can here in Hawaii. Everything is possible here in Hawaii. Come experience it for yourself. I am so lucky.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
04-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Would it all burn with Napalm? Do termites swim?
05-20-2011, 02:35 AM
Hey Mauibeachbum, I have been buying lottery tickets trying to win some money to get you and Anne to Hawaii when I will be there in 8 days but I have not had any luck!Confused
05-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Keep trying Dude! my bday is in 4 days!

anne
05-24-2011, 02:13 AM
I got one yesterday! Hopefully it is a good one!!! I will know today! Got my fingers crossed.
05-24-2011, 04:23 AM
crossing my fingers for ya Dude!!
05-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Tonight is the last drawing of the lottery beforeI go! The winning amount is $144 million. I could take everybody in this forum and buy a pimp palace in Hawaii!!!!! There I go dreaming again! LMAO