Current time: 12-11-2017, 09:07 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
For the kids....
04-07-2014, 09:02 AM
For the kids....
Aloha!
I'm ready to move to...or return..to Hawai'i. I had the privilege of growing up in Hawai'i. Oahu. I met my now husband there. We left to the mainland years ago. We still have some connections on Oahu but really wanting to go to the big island. 
My concern is my kids. We have 3. Two girls and one boy. 12, 10, 5. We have raised our kids with the island life style. They are laid back nature lovers. I want them to love being there. I know sometimes it's difficult to make that change and "fit in". I never had a problem when I was there but this is a bit different. They are a bit older than I was when I started school...and I want to go to Hilo. Which is not like Oahu I'm sure. 
Any advice on how to make the transition smoother? I was thinking right away to start them in some sport....
One thing I know will be nice. When they pull out musibi from their lunch they kids won't freak out there. Lol Like I said we have taught then to live the island and what it stands for. Kids here just miss out on the delicious food. People here can't understand why we eat rice everyday. We now live in a carb hating community. I want out! Lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:04 PM by eleakai.)
RE: For the kids....
Aloha! Yes, I think it's a good idea to enroll your kids in some sport program or whatever they are interested in. Kids typically adjust to a new place fast, especially if they are pre-teen. Start preparing them for this move by talking to them already now about it. Be happy and enthusiastic about it and tell them of the nice island activities they will be able to do there. You can take them on nice adventures (for example on a stargazing tour up Mauna Kea) and swim with the turtles on Carlsmith Beach which is near Hilo, see here https://www.to-hawaii.com/big-island/bea...chpark.php There's also a nice zoo near Hilo.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply