Current time: 11-24-2017, 12:27 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
08-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
For those of you that have experienced slow motion typing on this site while using Internet Explorer, that problem will go away if you switch to Firefox by Mozilla as a browser. I have found it to be far superior for watching videos like youtube online also. It will play even the largest videos without timing out in buffers.
Bear in mind though, your Automatic Updates to Microsoft programs will not work with Firefox as your default browser and will need to manually search for updates periodically (using IE)
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2011, 09:35 AM
RE: Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
Thank you for letting us know this, Rich. I personally prefer Firefox too.
Find all posts by this user
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
There are a few things about Firefox that I don't like. The way you have to update systems as well as the handling of temporary internet files and some photo storage sites not accepting uploads with Firefox. I do really like it though. Whenever there is a speed issue, Firefox will normally work it out. The best plan is decide what works the best for you and stick with it.
Example is that it has taken me 4 minutes to write this little post.
08-05-2011, 04:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 04:27 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
I would like to add something to this new thread. Last year, Rich convinced me to switch to FireFox but I only did it for two of my computers and left the others as IE and I am glad that I did it that way.
Firefox is a far better program than IE except for one important detail and this one really urks me greatly. I like having more than one tab open at a time. The kids will have one tab open on two of my computers so that they can sit side by side at the bar and play either PBS games or Disney or do their homework.
With IE, I can click on the red X in the upper righthand corner of the tab to close it,no problem. With Firefox though, it will only give you the option of closing all of the tabs at once instead of just the one tab you want to close. Other than that, I would switch all of my computers to Firefox. One of these years, someone from Firefox will get wind of this post and finally fix this pitfall for Firefox.
I do agree with you Rich about some of the updates for Firefox not working or compatible but on the same token,Firefox is a lot more compatible with some of the newer smart phone apps for iphone and ipod. Also, when you install Firefox, you are given tons of new options for apps such as weather and news for example, to be automatically incorporated into your browser pages that you can't with IE. Before people jump up and say that you can also do this with IE, these extra apps will make a slow browser even more slower to upload and run. This just doesn't happen with Firefox.
So the best option I found is to do what I did and leave at least one of your computers with IE for homework and research so that you can close one tab at a time without losing webpages and tabs that you worked so hard in finding.
One more thing to add about Firefox and it's not really a bad thing either. From time to time, the Firefox browser will crash. The first time this happen, I was like,"Oh my god, now what?" As it turns out, this isn't a bad thing at all. This seems to be a safety feature for Firefox. They somehow can separate the browser program from the computer program and not crash your computer from visit old webpages or bad and corrupt programing for some websites which I seem to run across when visiting some of ebay's online stores that maybe located in China or other countries. Firefox will restart the browser and give you the option to pick up where you where left off or start a new search.This process only takes about 30 seconds total.
It seems that ebay is a "must do" when you live in Hawaii. Simple things like shampoo,books and electronic components is a far greater savings on ebay than trying to find it here or buying it here. I have been using ebay for almost five years and I've only had to post one negative review so far.
Firefox also works great for those timed online bids and has provided great results. I don't play the stock market but if I ever decide to do that, you can bet that I will use Firefox for that too.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
08-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Good tips by both Todd and Bobby.
I found the mutiple tabs something to get used also. I learned early with IE to use Bobby's hint.
I like the way that new tabs are added with Firefox when browsing. e.g. If I have two tabs open, writing in one of them, like here. Then I want to Google something or spell check what I have written, I do it from the browser search option. IE will replace the tab I am using with the Google page. Then when done, I have to use the back button to get back to the page I was working on. In Firefox it adds a new tab instead. It could be part of my settings that does that too.
08-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Another post deleted????
Find all posts by this user
08-06-2011, 06:46 PM
hmmmm......... appears so.