Current time: 11-25-2017, 01:22 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Finding an apartment
02-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Finding an apartment
Hi there,
I hope that I am not repeating an already asked question...if so, please kindly point me in the direction of the forum topic that addresses this..if not, here is my situation.
My husband will be going to Honolulu this summer and if he is successful at finding work in his field, I will join him later. We need to secure an apartment...how does that happen if you have just moved to the island and haven't found a job yet. We do not have the resources to stay in a hotel for two months--that's way out of our budget and much more costly than rent. How does this work?

Does he look for an apartment when he arrives? I'm scared of trying to secure an apartment before arrival (might get scammed). But I'm also nervous about leaving it until he arrives, only to be turned down because he hasn't secured a job yet. Any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2014, 09:35 AM
RE: Finding an apartment
Aloha Jenn and welcome to our forum. Yes, I know what you mean. Many people are in the same situation. Many landlords don't rent to people who are not on the island yet. They want you to inspect the apartment before renting it. So you can consider yourself lucky if you find a landlord that lets you rent before moving to Hawaii. So best is to try and find an affordable hotel room or stay at the YMCA or other hostel. That would be the most affordable option. Other than that I can't think of anything else. The best case scenario would be if you have friends or relatives where you could stay. But if you don't, your only options are what you already mentioned.
02-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Hi Eleakai,

Thank you for your reply...much appreciated! I have to say, this forum is amazing and very helpful! Could you tell me your opinion on this--do you think it will be hard to obtain an apartment without having a job first?
Many thanks!
02-19-2014, 07:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2014 07:08 AM by eleakai.)
Yes, I would say it is more difficult. Quite a few landlords want to know where you are working. Sometimes they even require you to make at least 3 times the amount of the rent. So if the apartment you would like to rent costs $2,000/month, you have to proof that your household income is at least $6,000/month. But there are also landlords who are just checking your credit history. Some want you to fill out an application where you write down all this info, others don't have applications and just ask. But people move to Hawaii all the time and it seems to work out. I wish you good luck with your move!