Current time: 12-13-2017, 10:50 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Earthquake on Oahu
02-24-2011, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2011 04:42 PM by kaniamea.)
Earthquake on Oahu
I was just sitting at my desk at home when I felt the ground shake a bit. At first I thought it's the wind from the open window, so I didn't pay too much attention. But just now my friend from the mainland called to see if my house is still standing. So she heard the news before I even knew for sure that it was an earthquake that I felt. I just googled it and saw that indeed there was an earthquake on Oahu, a 3.6 temblor that happened at 2:12 p.m. about 22 miles east-southeast of Honolulu.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2011, 07:11 PM
RE: Earthquake on Oahu
Didn't spill your ice tea, huh Smile
02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Not this time Smile
Find all posts by this user
02-24-2011, 10:50 PM
My wife felt it and I didn't. I had walked over to the school to pick up my kids and didn't feel it. I did get two messages from the Department of Emergency Management. The first one read:

DEM:Small earthquake may have been felt on Oahu. No,repeat,NO TSUNAMI hazard. More information to follow.2:20pm Thu.Frl.24

The second came in and read:

DEM: Small earthquake felt on Oahu at 2:16PM. 3.6 MM confirmed by Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.NO TSUNAMI HAZARD.2:47PM Thu.Fri.24

To be honest, you don't need to worry about a quake this small,I have been through much stronger on a regular basis when I lived in California. My concern would have been more on depth and location of this quake. If it was say,a 4.6 MM in downtown Honolulu,then we would be having much more to worry about. As for a tsunami, an earthquake would have to be strong enough to displace a lot of water to start this action,which is possible. To dispel the statement,we don't get earthquakes where I'm from,there is no place on earth safe from earthquakes because the earth's crust and plates always experiences movement of some degree. Plates around the Pacific Rim or what we call the "Pacific ring of fire" seems to have more movement than most. This starts in Alaska,down the Pacific coast, all the way down to Chile,back up through Asia to Japan and China and everything in between. So here we sit in Hawaii,right in the middle of this "Pacific ring of Fire" and we are not suppose to experience earthquakes?
Well,if we have to have earthquakes,I'd be happy if they were all this size and magnitude, I can live with that.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
02-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Hopefully nothing bad happens!!
02-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Be Safe !
02-27-2011, 06:16 AM
No problem, guys. I been through some real quakes in Japan and California. The only major difference is that I never had to worry about tsunamis before and I'm just finding out from the news here is that I'm not the only one. The local,city and state governments are in their learning curve also. Also,during last year's tsunami(which was mostly non-existent), people here only had 5 hours to react(I had 10 hrs) and many packed everything that they owned and try to drive to the highest mountain as if we were going to have a 2000 foot tsunami. This created more problems for enforcement and the Department of Emergency Management in more ways than one. Basically,It was a "cluster Puck"! You get the point and meaning here. A tsunami that is coming from Chile is not going to be as large or dangerous as a tsunami that was generated from a landslide or a collapse of a shelf off the south point of the Big Island here. Difference being that one gives you 16 hours to react and not as large and the other gives you about 30-45 minutes and will be very large.
So what is really needed here? There are new flood and tsunami zones listed in our phone books and that can be used as a guideline in preparing where to go and what is needed. Look at these closely and you can guess how much preparation is going to be needed based on where you live and where you are staying.
I estimate (based on our Gov't reaction time for the last three major events) that we need one whole month's worth of food and water,whether you need to leave your home or not prior to the event. Now,I've never been a big fan of Spam until I moved here and love it now. I would say that 4-5 cases would last a month easy. If you add one 20lbs. bag of rice, that will cover a family of four and still leave you room to do some horse trading for things you might need later. Maybe here on Oahu wouldn't be so bad due to the number of military bases here but on neighboring islands,not so easy. Water and soda(with soda being more common these days), you will need to watch those supplies a lot more carefully. I figure a gallon of water a day for drinking for a family of four. You will need to start a checklist and as you are packing, refer to your checklist often. Pet food,medications,important papers and etc. I have a problem with important papers for this one reason,they are heavy and takes up room that will be need for other things. A safe or safety deposit box is very much needed. Although banks tell you not to do this,but keeping a couple grand in there is still worth it. If not,how about a Visa or Mastercard with a good size limit?
One of the most important tools is to have everything packed in plastic bins with lids and five gallon buckets ahead of time and stored. I learned this from all the brush fires in California when you only have an hour to get out of the path of a fast moving fire. You don't have time to think carefully what is important and what is not. But brush fires are not the same as tsunamis in many ways. Brush fires,you know the Red Cross will set up somewhere for food and shelter and tsunamis,you are on your own completely for days or weeks at a time.
Here is one good tip,keep one First Aid kits for you and your family and one for everyone else. Two is really better than one. Remember the 5-gal buckets I mentioned above? How many of those should you have? The answer is two or more. Those can be used for carrying water and with trashbags,they can be used to make toilets. Supplies should also include dish soap and a small bottle of bleach to make clean water again.
Basic supplies can include flashlights,lighters,batteries and etc. Useful supplies can be sheets of plastic to protect you from rain and to make catch water. A tent would be considered useful but not mandatory, you can still make one in the field.
As you can tell,the possibilities are almost endless but doesn't mean a thing if you don't a least take the time to make your checklists or prepare in advance. Just don't count on me to have all this stuff for you. Many people think like that or they don't think at all. Nothing personal,you have to look out for your family above all else and that's just the way it is. Events like these are never fun but you can make the best of it.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user