Current time: 12-11-2017, 08:37 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Duke Kahanamoku Beach
07-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Duke Kahanamoku Beach
Hi, Hope I have the right person to ask this question....the lagoon that is on this beach in front of Hilton, can you snorkle. If not..is there snorkling anywhere on this beach? If you have any suggestions as to do this without a "tour" your advise would be apprecaited. Catsandra
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2012, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:52 PM by eleakai.)
RE: Duke Kahanamoku Beach
Hi Catsandra,
you can swim in the lagoon, but the water is a bit cloudy because the lagoon has a sandy bottom, so the snorkeling isn't that good. You won't see much. See here for a photo of the lagoon and Waikiki Beach taken yesterday, the lagoon is the third picture on the bottom: https://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/p23.html

You don't have to join a tour to go snorkeling on Oahu. There are some good snorkeling spots in Waikiki, for example near the Waikiki Aquarium (Queen's Beach), see here: https://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/queensbeach.php. Waikiki is a busy beach and most people surf or bodyboard here. So it can get crowded in the water and snorkeling may not be the best thing to do here. If you would like to snorkel, visit Hanauma Bay. It's the most popular snorkeling destination on Oahu, see here: https://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/h...eserve.php The public bus Route 22 goes here.
Find all posts by this user
08-24-2012, 03:37 AM
I go here all the time and I would guess that it's too shallow here to snorkel also. A great spot is down by the Honolulu Aquarium and there is an easy entrance right next to the Notorium, just behind the aquarium. Plus there is usually plenty of parking in this area,right in front of the WWI Notorium. The water is very clear and so many fish to look at because no fishing is allowed in this area,
Just make sure you bring a few slices of bread to feed the fish and you will have them eating out of your hands. The water is clear enough for you to use your iphone with the waterproof cases to take pictures under the water.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
04-22-2014, 03:39 AM
(08-24-2012 03:37 AM)WonderinginWaikiki Wrote:  I go here all the time and I would guess that it's too shallow here to snorkel also. A great spot is down by the Honolulu Aquarium and there is an easy entrance right next to the Notorium, just behind the aquarium. Plus there is usually plenty of parking in this area,right in front of the WWI Notorium. The water is very clear and so many fish to look at because no fishing is allowed in this area,
Just make sure you bring a few slices of bread to feed the fish and you will have them eating out of your hands. The water is clear enough for you to use your iphone with the waterproof cases to take pictures under the water.
Please do not feed the fish bread (or any other human food) you are slowly killing themAngry
04-22-2014, 06:22 AM
I totally agree, Geordie. Not a good idea to feed the fish. Too bad many people don't know this.