Current time: 10-18-2017, 01:13 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Driving on Oahu
01-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Exclamation Driving on Oahu
I have not been driving much in Hawaii, but from the few times that I did, I noticed that many drivers here are very aggressive, and if you play by the rules (in terms driving the speed limit) they honk at you because you are too slow. Last weekend, for example, while coming back from the north shore, I noticed that almost everyone was driving much faster than the allowed speed limit on Kamehameha Hwy and Pali Hwy even though it was raining and windy. Also, on Kamehameha Hwy there was a van driver who was very impatient and overtook me in a curvy area with double lines. Luckily no one was coming from the other direction. The most ridiculous thing was that he got stuck behind other cars anyway so all he gained was maybe 10 seconds (he then stopped on the side of the road in Kaneohe and I passed him again). And for that he risked his and someone else’s life. Sometimes I wonder why people have to drive like that here, on such a small island. The roads here just aren't built for speedy driving.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2011 12:50 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
RE: Driving on Oahu
I totally can relate to this thread. Last week,an 86 year old lady was hit by a bus driver from TheBus because she took too long to cross the road in the crosswalk in Chinatown. Several days ago,she died from the injuries and all the police said that they were investigating the accident. As long as the bus driver passes the alcohol and drug screen which is automatic by the D.O.T., he or she legally gets away with "Murder by TheBus Driver" as the locals call it here. These bus driver even brag about it when you have a confrontation with them here.
I have legally changed lanes in front of TheBus once I felt that there was plenty of room to do so and used proper turning signals and then about 5-10 seconds later,I would here TheBus slamming on their brakes and waling on their horns not knowing that these jerks stepped on the gas petal after you have changed lanes and then tell their passengers that the vehicle cut them off illegally. Then get out of their buses and scream their heads off and claim that they can have you arrested for endangering their passengers and that you will have to pay for any passengers injuries the TheBus driver actually caused. At first,I was shocked that this happen because I clearly made a safe lane change and I was think was is this guys/gals problem? Then someone witnessed the same thing told me that as long as I have out of state plates,they will continue to do this to me and the police will always take their word over yours even if you are retired from the law enforcement industry.
In fact,it did stop after I changed to Hawaii plates but I still feel uncomfortable on changing into a lane with TheBus in it even if I am two blocks ahead of them and I have my family in there with me.
In most states,the driver of TheBus would actually be ticketed and/or be arrested for this offense but here is where the problem begins. The cameras on the buses are not connected to black boxes to monitor the controls of TheBus drivers actions prior,during and after the accident to match with the cameras on TheBus. This was a hard lesson for me after I had first moved here. It's like you can change lanes in front of TheBus with a half of block between you both and they can get away with this crap.
To make matters worst,I have seen TheBus run red lights nine times since I moved here and the light was red for them by several seconds with you half way across in the crosswalk. No horn nor warning that their were going to do this and clearly no regard to life or limb of pedestrians. They all have this "Nepoleon Complex" that TheBus has the right of way instead of the pedestrians. Also,I think the police need to be non-partisan with TheBus drivers to prevent pedestrains, tourists and people's grandmothers from being targets of opportunity and prevent these legalized "Murders by TheBus Drivers".
I also want to add one more important factor to consider here and I will tell you that I live here in town and the speed limit here is 25mph only. On any given day, You can see TheBus going double the speed limit and even pass up police cars without fear of being pulled over and ticketed.
I had made a number of calls to TheBus business office and complainted about their drivers behavior and strongly suggested that their drivers go to anger management classes because it is clearly obvious that they are stressed from driving everyday and because cars are clearly more maneuverable than buses and revenge is clearly on their minds because of that. I have seen them bully bus drivers from other companies such as Roberts Hawaii and VIP and I call those in too from what I have observed from above while on my lanai.
TheBus drivers are clearly the most dangerous drivers in the United States and first to drunk drivers because of the willful intent to kill and think that they can legally get away with it. This is also clearly a law enforcement issue and they need to treat TheBus drivers the same as any driver like you and I.
If I'm cutting off other drivers who try to change into my lane and stepping on the gas to prevent the other driver of entering in my lane,I should be ticketed. No special favors or treatment like TheBus drivers are getting here daily. How many more 86 year old grandma's need to die before the system become balanced like it is stateside?
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
I totally agree with all you said. Also what I find very ridiculous is that the bus drivers all the time chat with passengers. I've seen this many times because I take the bus frequently. Also, there are many schizophrenic passengers who like to sit right in the front and talk to themselves, which can even disturb a good bus driver. The situation with the tour buses is similar. Tour bus drivers often times are narrators in the same time. They are basically pointing out popular attractions and talking all the time and making jokes while driving. I have taken quite a few bus tours here and seen it many times. In my opinion, there should always be a designated driver and a designated narrator.

A few years ago, as I was walking home on Kapiolani Blvd. I saw a Roberts charter bus make a right turn onto Kapiolani Blvd. and running over a woman in a wheelchair. I was standing basically right next to it when it happened. I was the first to write a witness article about this and published it on my blog. The daughter of the woman contacted me after she found my article and from her I know that the woman later died. And that's a sad story too. She was in Queen's hospital and was about to recover, but the nurses there took out her breathing tube without monitoring her afterwards. The nurses left the room and when they came back, the woman had died.
01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Holy cow, I didn't mean to bring back any bad memories for you but have you also thought that maybe,just maybe,that those nurses were not there for a good reason? It's kind of hard to defend yourself and what happened if you're not around anymore? It just seems too convient to me.
On your other points, they are well taken. I agree with you completely. I took my family on a trolley to see the Honolulu City Lights tour and the driver wore a microphone and informing us about history all along the way. Your suggestion is a very good one and I remember when it use to be that way years ago. You use to have a second person trying to get you to sing while the bus driver drove and now the driver does both jobs and the tour companies also charge more money than before too!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
01-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes, I totally agree!