Current time: 10-16-2017, 12:10 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
British living in Oahu
01-30-2010, 09:34 AM
British living in Oahu
Hi everyone,

Just a quick one, I'm from the uk and moved to Kailua about 4 days ago...yep jet lag still a slight issue. My fiance lives here and I've moved here until my US visa comes through, hopefully in the next month or so.

We met in Hong Kong, having lived there for two years, so moving here is a refreshing change to that concrete city. I did love it though.

Anyway, my main question is, how on earth do expats meet here. In hong kong, there were expat websites everywhere, with meet and greet nights...clubs....etc etc. I've scoured the internet for hours and there doesn't seem to be the same thing in Hawaii. Unless of course I'm going to the wrong places.

We are both very outgoing and love to hike and climb and do like the odd bevvy or ten.....!!

I'm finding it a little weird being british, as I'm met with very different responses...its quite funny. I've heard people say..."you talk funny"...."your not american"...etc etc. They look at me like I've got two heads and don't know what to say.

Are there many Europeans on Oahu or are they pretty thin on the ground?

Anyway, I'm loving the people and the area, so am looking forward to getting into the lifestyle pretty quick. Once I have our US visa, I can search for work too....fingers crossed, I can volunteer for a while until I find something suitable. I work in the animal industry and there seems to be a lot of them here...hahah.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to how to break the ice in oahu, I would be very grateful

thanks
smerchas
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2010, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2010 10:03 AM by kaniamea.)
RE: British living in Oahu
Aloha Smerchas,

welcome to Oahu! A rainy day like today is quite rare, so enjoy Smile Now to your questions. No, there doesn't seem to be any expat forums for Europeans in Hawaii. We're Europeans ourselves and have been here for almost 7 years. The only gathering on Oahu where you see other people from your own culture is a Greek festival once a year, a German festival once a year (which was cancelled last year) and an Irish festival once a year. That's about it. Oahu is mainly Asian. From our travels we noticed that Maui, and especially the Lahaina area, is much more European. There was an Italian bistro, a Swiss cafe, etc. and more Europeans in general. However, jobs there are harder to find. So when it comes to making friends, you pretty much have to join any outdoor clubs, such as kayaking club, hiking club, hula lessons, etc. Or if you have nice co-workers, you can also make friends. Other than that, there's no online community that we're aware of. But no need to worry about your accent since having some sort of accent is common here. We wish you good luck in finding a job and friends.
Find all posts by this user
01-30-2010, 01:04 PM
(01-30-2010 10:01 AM)kaniamea Wrote:  Aloha Smerchas,

welcome to Oahu! A rainy day like today is quite rare, so enjoy Smile Now to your questions. No, there doesn't seem to be any expat forums for Europeans in Hawaii. We're Europeans ourselves and have been here for almost 7 years. The only gathering on Oahu where you see other people from your own culture is a Greek festival once a year, a German festival once a year (which was cancelled last year) and an Irish festival once a year. That's about it. Oahu is mainly Asian. From our travels we noticed that Maui, and especially the Lahaina area, is much more European. There was an Italian bistro, a Swiss cafe, etc. and more Europeans in general. However, jobs there are harder to find. So when it comes to making friends, you pretty much have to join any outdoor clubs, such as kayaking club, hiking club, hula lessons, etc. Or if you have nice co-workers, you can also make friends. Other than that, there's no online community that we're aware of. But no need to worry about your accent since having some sort of accent is common here. We wish you good luck in finding a job and friends.

Hi Kaniamea,

Thanks so much for your response. Its what I generally thought to be honest, so the future hubby and I will scour hiking and climbing clubs and go from there. yes, this weather is lovely. Nice and cool....a blessing in disguise after the humidity of Hong Kong..!!!

Yes, you are right about the accents hahah, I've heard quite a few different ones in just a few days!! We will hit the local pub too over the weekend and see if we can get in with some of the locals...hahahah, that should be a good challenge.

Thanks again.

Smerchas..!
03-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi Smerchas

I to have just flown in to be with Fiancée who lives just off the end Pali freeway in Honolulu. I'm a Aussie but have lived in London for the last 9 years.

I'm waiting for my visa as well should be around 4 months, I can not wait to get working and into the relaxed and outdoor way of life in Hawaii.

Mike
01-04-2011, 07:17 AM
(01-30-2010 09:34 AM)smerchas Wrote:  Hi everyone,

Just a quick one, I'm from the uk and moved to Kailua about 4 days ago...yep jet lag still a slight issue. My fiance lives here and I've moved here until my US visa comes through, hopefully in the next month or so.

We met in Hong Kong, having lived there for two years, so moving here is a refreshing change to that concrete city. I did love it though.

Anyway, my main question is, how on earth do expats meet here. In hong kong, there were expat websites everywhere, with meet and greet nights...clubs....etc etc. I've scoured the internet for hours and there doesn't seem to be the same thing in Hawaii. Unless of course I'm going to the wrong places.

We are both very outgoing and love to hike and climb and do like the odd bevvy or ten.....!!

I'm finding it a little weird being british, as I'm met with very different responses...its quite funny. I've heard people say..."you talk funny"...."your not american"...etc etc. They look at me like I've got two heads and don't know what to say.

Are there many Europeans on Oahu or are they pretty thin on the ground?

Anyway, I'm loving the people and the area, so am looking forward to getting into the lifestyle pretty quick. Once I have our US visa, I can search for work too....fingers crossed, I can volunteer for a while until I find something suitable. I work in the animal industry and there seems to be a lot of them here...hahah.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to how to break the ice in oahu, I would be very grateful

thanks
smerchas

Hi there, my fiancee and I are hopefully moving to Hawaii from the UK in the not too distant future... my fiancee has been working for a few months at a time over on the Big Island for the last 5 years or so and is now hoping to get a permanent job in Oahu... I was over in Hawaii for a few weeks last year - had a great time on both the Big Island and Oahu. I got to meet alot of people through my fiancee's work - a mixture of folk from mainland US, Australia and of course native Hawaiins.

Everyone was very welcome but i guess that was because they had already heard quite alot about me. I had been warned by one of the native Hawaiins that i may hear the odd shout of 'Howlie' and if so just to ignore it... as it happens i didnt hear it so no worries there...

If you're getting to know Oahu take a trip up to the North Shore and stay at the Kalani (just north of Haliewa - a guest house/hostel - its a great place - Carlos from Peru will make you feel very welcome... check it out on trip advisor

Anyhows - if my other half gets the job that she's applied for (we should find out by end of Jan) i'll be in the same boat as yourself - will try and get in touch via this site as we'll be up for some beers - my fiancee is scottish and i'm from Yorkshire so a few beers are always on the agenda.

good luck with settling in

cheers

Andy
01-05-2011, 02:39 AM
All of us should be moving to Hawaii!!!Big Grin In my dreams!!!!!
01-05-2011, 04:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 04:03 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
I guess that I had somehow overlooked this thread. I can totally relate to the subject though since I once lived in Hong Kong and use to hang out at the Bull and Bear or take the Star Ferry across to the Mariniers Club in Kowloon for bowling.
I was wondering if you ever heard of "Meet Ups" clubs for British lost in Hawaii and want to find others like them? I have seen 'meet ups" here for pregnant women and women who just had kids. I discovered it but chance when a couple women thought I was there for the "meet up" because I was in the park by the long jetty with my son before he started to go to school here. From what I understand, they have "meet ups" for everything and I would google that term and see what you may find. There! That is my two cents worth.
By the way,thank you guys for coming to our ohana forum and please feel free to come back and let us know how things are going for you. Did you find jobs,good places to stay and meet new friends? That sort of thing,it's always good to hear about someone moving here and doing good. Who knows,maybe in the future we could have a membership party from this forum and find a great park here to spend the day. That is something to think about and should be a lot of fun.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
07-03-2011, 05:30 AM
Hello to all on this string!

I am about to move to Oahu for work and am looking for other expats to do things with as well. I used to live in Hong Kong and remember the Bull and Bear and the Star Ferry referenced above very fondly!

I am looking forward to getting involved in outdoors clubs, like the canoe clubs, hiking clubs and going to polo matches as well, and would love to find other like-minded people engaged in similar activities, game for the all-important meet ups at pubs and such. Any guidance and advice on what you all have found so far would be much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Brye
07-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Aloha Brye and welcome to our ohana forum. Yes, Oahu is an ideal place for all kinds of outdoor activities. I myself am not a member in any of the clubs you mentioned so I can't recommend any of these clubs. I see many canoeers practicing on the Ala Wai Canal every day and I've seen a sign at Ala Moana Beach Park from the Lokahi Canoe Club that says that they are currently looking for people who would like to join them. You can see their site to find out more about them: lokahicanoeclub.org/join.php

Again, welcome to our forum and feel free to ask other questions and to post your own experiences after you get settled on Oahu.
Find all posts by this user
06-28-2012, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 11:41 AM by kaniamea.)
Hello, well I am moving to the Big Island before the end of the year and I am from London, been in the Mid West this last ten years, so at least that will be one more Brit in Hawaii!