Current time: 11-25-2017, 01:27 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bringing small children to Hawaii
03-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Bringing small children to Hawaii
Hello all,

I have read your forums with interest. I am moving to the Big Island (Kailua-Kona) in July of this year with my family. We have 2 small kids, one will be in kindergarten, one will be in 3rd grade. I have a job lined up, and we are working on securing housing. I would appreciate any advice on bringing kids to Hawaii, especially the topics below

1) I have heard that haole kids are bullied. Is this still true? Is there anything I can advise my kids to do, act, say that can minimize this? The kindergartner is quite small for his age, in addition to being blond-haired and blue-eyed. I worry about him. Anything you can say to ease my worries would be appreciated.

2) I have heard that the quality of public schooling in HI is so-so. We are big supporters of public schooling. I currently send my older child to public school in a large city, and am quite happy with that. The school we are in now is also not a white-majority district, which is why I think the older one will be OK in reference to above question (1). Is the public school system truly so bad, or is it just about expectations and keeping an eye on your kids' progress?

3) Side note, are there any public swimming pools in Kona? All the hotels seem to have great pools, but are there any for the locals to use? Also, suggestions for things to do as a family in Kona would be great.

Thanks much!
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2015, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 06:18 PM by eleakai.)
RE: Bringing small children to Hawaii
Aloha Drey and welcome to our forum. I think kids can be bullied for all kinds of reasons and no matter where they live. I don't think that white children in Hawaii are bullied simply because they are white. There are quite a few blond-haired and blue-eyed kids in Hawaii, but it's also true that there are "whiter" areas in Hawaii, areas where your blond children wouldn't stand out at all. On Oahu, for example, many Caucasians live in Kailua and East Honolulu, as well as on the North Shore. Compared to the Big Island, Oahu has fewer people who identify as Caucasian (21.3 percent compared to 34.5 percent on the Big Island). Before signing your kids up in school, you could also ask the school staff and mention your concerns.

Some public schools in Hawaii are worse than others. Some are really great. It really depends on the school. Here is an interesting Hawaii public school ranking chart: http://www.honolulumagazine.com/HM_Mar13...eChart.pdf

Regarding public pools, there is the Kona Community Aquatic Center.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply