Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:42 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Amelia Earhart photo exhibit at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel
12-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Amelia Earhart photo exhibit at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel
A few more days are left to visit the Amelia Earhart photo exhibit at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (Pink Palace) in Waikiki, which opened on July 24, 2010. Amelia Earhart was the first person to fly alone from Hawaii to North America on January 11, 1935. This exhibit features newly discovered and rarely seen photos from the Matson Navigation Company Archives. The photos show Earhart, as well as her plane, a red Lockheed Vega. The exhibit is open until the end of 2010. Visit the Coronet Lounge of the Royal Hawaiian.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2010, 11:14 PM
RE: Amelia Earhart photo exhibit at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel

One of the many surprises of this island is this monument dedicated to Amelia Earhart, located on the windward side of Diamond Head where there is a series of viewpoint parking lots next to the Diamond Head Lighthouse. If I remember correctly,it mentions about all the people that lived on this island going to this spot to watch the arrive of her plane in 1928. This monument looks like it is made of bronze and hasn't been polished in decades. In fact,it looks very worn out if you ask me. Above is a picture of it with my son and daughter. We like going here sometimes in the evening also to see the moon rise out of the ocean.
Now that I know about this exhibit, I will try to make it a point to walk over there and visit this exhibit. Thanks for the heads ups!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
12-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for posting that nice picture. I knew about this monument but even though I have been several times in this area, I haven't visited it yet. I went to the other lookout points instead. I was planning to visit a museum (Shangri La), which is near there, so on my way I'll stop by at this monument. Like that I can combine two attractions in one excursion Smile
12-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Now,that's the spirit! That other place, is that Doris Duke's estate that was turned into museum and it can only be viewed by appointment only?
12-30-2010, 03:03 AM
Great pic bro!!!!!!!
12-30-2010, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2010 03:51 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Thanks,brah! Don't worry,I have a ton of more pictures to post about different subjects. I'm glad you like the pics!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-21-2011, 02:11 AM
I went back to the Earhart Monument the other day to get more detailed pictures and I wanted to read what it said too. Plus,I wanted to keep this thread alive because I missed the above mentioned exhibit anyway. I don't know when this monument was installed but it does tell me that there is a lot of America history here in the islands even before the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7,1941 by the Empire of Japan.

01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
These are great images! Thanks for posting them. I also wanted to go to the exhibit but then I got so busy and could not go. Many people know about the history of Pearl Harbor but not many know about other interesting historic events, places and people, such as this one.
03-05-2011, 09:36 PM
I finally made it there today Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)