Current time: 12-12-2017, 09:44 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
very important question, best plate lunch?
09-06-2012, 12:00 PM
very important question, best plate lunch?
I have received some great advice here, so I would like to hear some opinions on who/where the best plate lunch's are to be found. I know that people have differant tastes, so the more answers the better (I won't mind trying more than one!!), so please tell me where is the best value, and/or the best tasting.
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2012, 10:31 AM
RE: very important question, best plate lunch?
Well, I'm not too much into plate lunches because I don't eat much meat. The typical Hawaiian plate lunch is loco moco. I have eaten it once and it was allright. I sometimes just go to the food court at Ala Moana Center and get a plate lunch from there. I like the mahi saute with white sauce from the Mama's Spaghetti House. It comes with mahi mahi and mushrooms. Sometimes the mahi is good, other times it's a bit dry. Sometimes I pick up some hummus from the Fat Greek in this food court. I also like the shrimp in Kahuku. When I'm there I usually go to Giovanni's (a roadside shrimp truck). The plate lunch here includes 12 pieces of shrimp and 2 scoops of rice. I have heard that Fumi's is good too. I have also heard the Rainbow Drive In near Waikiki is a popular plate lunch place but I haven't been there yet.
Find all posts by this user
09-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah I like Giovanni's, super tasty but a little messy!! I saw the Rainbow drive in the last time I was there (in July) but it was packed so I hadn't tried it, but I will!! Also I have been to L&L drive in here in Los Angeles and it was pretty good, but I don't know if is the same as there, does anyone know? I haven't tried the loco moco, as I like most of the components (I normally get my eggs sunny side up at breakfast) but I have to admit all thrown together with the gravy leaves me a little unsure, but I will try it, as most of Hawaii can't be wrong!!(famous last words) but the Mahi with white sause sounds great, I will be trying that one.
09-10-2012, 06:07 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 04:10 PM by kaniamea.)
Never tried the L&L but I have a friend who got food poisoning after eating there and she had to go to the hospital. She ate in the downtown Honolulu location. Also, the same friend ate noodles there before and she found them too oily.
Find all posts by this user
09-14-2012, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 02:17 PM by eleakai.)
Being that I had never tried one and the boys and I smelled it when we passed, we had to turn around and try Monkey Mike's. OMG!! That was so good!!! And I discovered my fav toy as a kid after eating while checking out the view, sleeping grass!!
09-14-2012, 07:29 AM
That looks right up my ally, where is it? Is it by Kahaluu, or further up the coast?
09-14-2012, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 02:17 PM by eleakai.)
Way past K ranch with Chinaman's hat but before Sea Life Park I know.
And I know there was a 711 a block before it because we had stopped there for a drink while cruising around trying to decide what to consider eating when the smell permeated our noses. This is right on the corner and must help draw in the extra biz! LOL!!
09-14-2012, 08:55 AM
WOW!! That looks great, I can almost taste it!! I will be hitting up Monkey Mike's and I'll let my nose be my guide............
09-14-2012, 09:03 AM
It was truly awesome! And I don't think it was more than like $16 bucks for all 3 of us and the 8 for the amazing drink concoctions we chose for afterwards. Would have spent more, heck, HAVE spent more here in Oklahoma at KFC!!