Current time: 12-13-2017, 12:43 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
traveling Kauai
11-04-2011, 07:46 PM
traveling Kauai
I've watched The Perfect Getaway and It got me thinking that I would like to do something like that for a couple months, so I was wondering just how 2 months would cost me? It seems like they dont spend much money just walking through the forest. Also how long do people usually do it for and do many people do it? Is the Perfect Getaway a glorified version of Kauai?? Sorry about all the questions but if someone could answer I would appreciate it/
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2011, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:28 PM by eleakai.)
RE: traveling Kauai
The hike you are referring to is called Kalalau Trail, you can read all about it here: http://www.to-hawaii.com/kauai/attractio...utrail.php

It is one of the most scenic and in the same time dangerous trails in Hawaii. The trail is very narrow in many areas and the area is prone to flash floods. It is also not recommended to swim at any of the beaches along this trail. Many people have died while doing that (they even have a sign with a body count!)

I also don't think you can spend two months living in this area. There are short term hiking permits (which you will have to apply for at least 3-6 months in advance). The reason is because the permits are very limited and many people want them. There are no facilities (except portable toilets) in some areas along the trail. But no food or any other conveniences. In the winter months, it rains a lot there too and can get chilly.

If you want to stay near this area, the best is around Hanalei or Princeville. This side of Kauai is truly the most beautiful. I have seen The Perfect Getaway and I think Kauai is even more beautiful than the scenes in the movie. Here are photos I took at the place I stayed at: https://www.to-hawaii.com/blog/2010/09/1...ai-review/

How much will it cost you? Depends on where you are coming from and where you plan to stay on Kauai. Certainly it is possible to camp for a few days along the Kalalau Trail, but you will have to take everything with you - equipment, food, water, etc. The remaining time you will have to arrange other accommodation. You will need a minimum of $2000-$3000 a month for accommodation and food + travel expenses.
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2011, 08:07 PM
One more thing I want to add - in the movie this area is portrayed as very remote. In other words, there was no traffic on the road. The couple even had to wait an hour for a car to show up. In fact, this is a very busy road and traffic can be crazy there. It is true the Na Pali Coast (and Kalalau Trail) is a remote place, but many many people hike it. It will be busy. Be prepared.
11-04-2011, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 09:52 PM by kaniamea.)
Thanks for replaying so quick, so it's like a 2 day backpacking adventure then? I could just go to Hawaii for a week and do a couple different trails. How tough is it though? I've read a bit and I've never hiked before but I am in good shape, would I be okay or should I get more experience? I understand theres some pretty shallow cliffs. Do you have any pictures of the scariest so I can see what they look like?
11-05-2011, 11:46 AM
If you want to hike the Kalalau Trail, certainly it's good if you're in good shape and not afraid of heights. Also, it's not a good idea to do this hike if it has recently rained. Some areas are quite eroded and it can be very slippery. Quite a few people have twisted an ankle there and had to be airlifted out. So it would also help if you have health insurance that would cover such a type of emergency.

Yes, otherwise it's more like a 2-3 day backpacking adventure. Most people who hike the Kalalau Trail just do the first portion of it, to Hanakapiai, because it is easier than going all the way. The trail is more challenging beyond Hanakapiai. Here are some other websites with photos of the tricky areas:

http://great-hikes.com/blog/kalalau-trail-condition
http://www.kalalautrail.com/information.html

So as you can see, there are plenty of opportunities to fall down steep cliffs. I'm not sure what kind of experience one has to have to be considered fit for this trail. I guess you could do the hike until Hanakapiai and then decide when you're there if you want to continue on (after seeing the condition of the trail).
11-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I didn't realize how long it's been since my last post here but I am compelled to add to this thread.
I have been going on hiking trails and camping with the Boy Scouts here which is a great place to start if you have kids. We've gone hiking in the rainforest and went up to Maikiki Valley Trail last month. It was a lot of fun but dangerous too. As our troop master found out, don't step on any of the tree roots that crosses the trails, they are so slippery that me and another medic had to patch him up in the field while on this series of trails. He needed stitches but that isn't done by needle and line anymore, it's done with glue and sturry strips these days.
Never make the assumption that some trails are safer than others, many factors must be considered. Always be ready for the unexpected and train for that. As a former Marine with a military specialty that trained for this action, I just can't express it enough to always hike with someone that has trained for this and knows the area well beforehand.
Yesterday, they found the body of a hiker one mile inside of the Kokohead Trail by helicopter because they couldn't find them by foot patrol the previous day. It was the because a security guard noticed that there was a rental car left in the parking lot below that tipped the police and fire departments to launch a search to begin with.
Many common mistakes with hikers is wondering off the trail, not taking enough water, not taking a cellphone with extra batteries,a flashlight even if you hike during daylight hours, spare food like beef jerky or similar and a emergency poncho to protect you from the elements.
Now, we really don't know what happen to that hiker for sure and signage on the trails has been a problem in the past. One piece of advice that I can give here is that you hike in the morning hours so that weather and time is on your side. These tradewinds can bring bad weather rather quickly and night time isn't the time to be trying to find your way until you have a perfect full moon and the weather is really good.
One more good piece of advice is that you train and get into shape before you come on vacation to Hawaii even if you are not hiking here. Many of the calls for the EMT's here is for difficulty breathing. Too many activities during a short period of time can be a lot for the body. Drinking a lot of alcohol during your vacation can be too much for even a highly trained Marine because the body needs to recover and fluids such as water and juices are needed.
Now that I've completely scared the wits out of you about hiking here, don't go to the other extreme and load yourself with too much gear. Travel light as you can but still have the basics with you. Divide the gear equally by weight and strength of the hikers. Remember that a gallon of water weighs between 7-8 pounds. One of my tricks is to bring fruit cocktail in a can because you combine food and juices together. Bringing a blue tarp and some nylon cord can save you big time also. This will protect you from the elements and will be easier to spot from the air if a rescue is needed. It can also be used to haul an injured person out to safety too.
Yes, this is paradise and yes, we have the best weather in the world but that is no substitution for commonsense. The same goes when you're in the water here but that is another subject all together,lol.
Just have fun,do it right and take lots of pictures for all of us to see,lol.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
11-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Thank you all for the replies, I have to be honest, after seeing the worst of it 'the balcony' it's not nearly as bad as I had pictured. What I was picturing was a ledge that you pretty much had to hang onto the mountain and one bad move or slip and you fall off. At the same time though I know I would have to go slow because it does look pretty scary but it also looks doable. If I was thinking of doing this say next August, is that a good time? When would I need to start looking to get the permits? Is there any places that are worth going off the beaten path for or is there places that just aren't worth it?

WonderinginWaikiki you said it's extremely important to go with someone who knows the area, how is that possible if I don't know anyone from the area? I don't want a tour guide and I'd prefer to keep the experience amongst whoever I go with, although I'm wondering if people walk together for say a mile or so before deciding to split up or something, like in The Perfect Getaway, is it normal to randomly meet up with people and hang out with them for a bit or do groups kind of stick to themselves?
11-05-2011, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:28 PM by eleakai.)
Yes, there is no ledge on this trail where you have to hang on. It's basically just a very narrow cliff trail in some areas as you saw in the pictures. Otherwise, that would be very tricky considering the fact that you'll also be wearing a heavy backpack in the same time. The trail is doable if you're in good shape, careful, and not afraid of heights. I think August is a good time because it is one of the driest months. Rainfall is still possible, but not as likely as let's say in January. If you plan to do the hike in August, I would apply for the permit the latest in January to be sure you'll get one. August is high tourism season in Hawaii. Permits are available online here: https://camping.ehawaii.gov/camping/welcome.html

There are a few off-the-beaten paths in Kalalau valley itself. And also another one along the way, for example to Hanakapiai Falls. See more info here: https://www.to-hawaii.com/kauai/waterfal...ifalls.php

I don't think you will need a hiking guide to do the Kalalau Trail. Of course it's sometimes more fun to go with a buddy, also in case you get injured along the way. But the trail won't be deserted, especially not in August. I don't know if you'll be able to hook up with others on the trail. I guess it depends on you as well as the other hikers. The first part of the trail up to Hanakapiai will be quite busy. Many people hike up until here and then back because this is doable in one day and because for this section a permit is not required (as long as you hike back and don't stay overnight). After that it is less crowded, but still, there will be other hikers. You can also read more about the trail here on the state park website: http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/hiking/k...alalau.cfm

By the way, on there it also says that the maximum time hikers are allowed to stay at the Na Pali Coast State Park is 5 nights. You may also want to read these safety tips: http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/hiking/k...safety.cfm
11-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all of the replies, but I'm just wondering, how big of a factor does being afraid of heights play into it? I mean I've been on roller coasters and stuff but you're strapped in for those. It's easy to look at those photos and think thats not a big deal, but how much does it change once you get to that spot?
11-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Well, this depends on you. Everybody reacts differently. Also once you get there you can feel this best. If you don't feel comfortable, just turn back.