Current time: 12-11-2017, 06:28 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
retirement and job
01-15-2014, 05:18 PM
retirement and job
Hi. I have been reading about how much money it takes to live in Hawaii. I can retire now if i choose to. And my pension would be around 4000.00 a month gross. Im looking into working also with Island Air. I know it doesnt pay much around 2500.00 a month gross. I was wondering if making about 6000.00 gross a month i would be able to live on oahu? Its only me so my taxes might be high. Is Hawaii state taxes high? Thank you for your help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2014, 05:40 AM
RE: retirement and job
Hi Russell and welcome to our forum! It depends on what standard of living you're used to. You'll definitely be able to live on $6,000/month gross if you have average expectations. But even this word "average" is relative. According to the National Low Income Housing Coalition, the current fair market rent of a 2-bedroom apartment on Oahu is $1,833. To afford this, you need an income of $73,320/year. Since it's just you, you could get a smaller 1-bedroom apartment. But they are not much cheaper. How much money you need also depends on other factors, for example if you need a car, if you want to go on vacations, if you need money for other luxuries, etc. But generally speaking, with an income of $6,000 you'd be able to live comfortably.
01-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Would you be able to tell me what the taxes are like in Hawaii?
01-16-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't know what percentage of taxes you'd have to pay. Why don't you check the Hawaii N-11 tax table? Fill out a N-11 using your federal total income and then see in the Hawaii tax table how much you'd have to pay?
01-16-2014, 02:24 PM
Ok thank you very much. Im sure i will have more questions about my move