Current time: 11-24-2017, 12:28 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
relocation to hawaii
03-30-2013, 11:48 AM
relocation to hawaii
Being a free spirit who wants to embrace life, new adventures and experience the "island life", I am in the process of gathering information in regards to relocating to Hawaii.
Now that my son is out of the "nest" and has embarked on his life journey, I have come to realize that it is my turn to live my dream....and live in Hawaii. I am a free spirit, and most who know me understand my thirst for adventure, meeting new people and embracing life.
I have been looking at employment and places to rent, however I am not sure where/what/how to approach this new journey. I have a very diversified job history....from military service to ski resorts. I do need and want to work, however I am not sure what I want to do when I move to the islands. I am a Leo, very social, loyal, and looking to share what I have to offer with others. I consider myself a happy go lucky gal, who always makes the best out of every situation.
I am not looking to make a lot of money, as I have never lived that way, nor do I want to. I have always been "rich" in friends, experiences and living a simple, minimalistic life.
Any suggestions on how to approach this move, is much appreciated. Is it possible to secure a job prior to relocation? I have vacationed on Hawaii and Oahu, and understand that the biggest job pool is in Oahu, however it stills seems like the "rat race" to me. I look forward to any information that will help guide me through this transition. Heart
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2013, 01:49 AM
RE: relocation to hawaii
Aloha rockerkat and welcome to our forum. Regarding jobs I have heard that people have found a job prior to moving to Hawaii, but it's rare. Since Hawaii's population is constantly growing because of people moving there, employers have a large pool to choose from. Therefore, they can easily find people willing to work for less. I agree that the rat race exists in Hawaii just like in other places. Many people in Hawaii work more than one job to afford life there. I don't know what job you're looking for, but as you said you'll have more choices on Oahu than on any other Hawaiian island. So if I were you, I would look on the internet what's available. You could send out a few applications and see what response you get. If this doesn't work, then you could try and find an affordable studio on Oahu or share a place with someone else and then start your job search from there which will be easier. It's definitely a good idea to have some money saved for the first few months in case you can't find a job right away. I would come with at least 10k, so this would cover the first 3-5 months.
Find all posts by this user
06-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Thank you for your job search advice, I work in healthcare and have been wondering if I'm wasting my time looking for work before I arrive. What is your advice for adults well beyond college age in terms of finding an apartment? I'm from NYC and no landlord here would rent to someone long-distance, so I'm assuming I will need to arrive in Honolulu before searching. Are there brokers or property management companies that will accept credit and rental history, and/or a large up-front payment, in lieu of already being employed? Are the job and housing markets as competitive as other large cities?
06-30-2013, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 09:28 PM by kaniamea.)
I don't know if the property management companies would accept credit and rental history or an upfront payment in lieu of already being employed. I have never been in this situation myself, so I don't know. But why don't you try and contact a few and ask them if this would work? If it doesn't work, your only other option is to get a hotel room or other short-term accommodation and then look for a more permanent place once you're here. A good affordable rental is the central YMCA. A friend of mine has stayed there twice and while it's nowhere near luxurious, it's very centrally located and affordable, definitely cheaper than the cheapest hotel room, especially if you rent a room on a monthly basis (they have private rooms that are basically like a hotel room just without a kitchen or fridge). But Ala Moana Center's food court is right across the street.

Regarding your question if the housing market is competitive, I would say yes. But it also depends on your budget. It's certainly easier to find a place quickly if your budget is unlimited. But if you need to find a studio or one-bedroom apartment for under $2,000/month, it's more competitive. Sometimes a landlord or property management agency will have showings where more than 20 people show up in the same time and each person has to fill out an application form. Other times a landlord will show it to only one person at a time, but there's always a good supply of people looking for a place to stay. In all the apartment buildings where I have lived, no apartment stayed vacant for very long.

I have never worked in the healthcare field myself, so I don't know what the hiring process is like, but I would assume that if you don't get transferred to Hawaii from a company you're already working for it would be best to look for a job once you arrive. I would say the job market is competitive as well.
Find all posts by this user