Current time: 10-19-2017, 07:56 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
moving to oahu, need rental by oct 1, 2014
05-28-2014, 08:45 PM
moving to oahu, need rental by oct 1, 2014
Aloha! I'm moving to Oahu from Tennesse, will be working in Honolulu starting mid-Oct. I have a good budget for rental (can do up to 4K) and 2 dogs (one is pretty old - 15- she may be staying in TX with my parents as the trip may just be too hard on her). I was planning to visit in Aug and look for a place, but my fiancé thinks I should just go a bit earlier than my move in date (mid-Sept) and try to do everything then. I'm worried two weeks is not enough time, but then, I'm worried going any sooner than Sept 1 is too early! I can have the dogs shipped to me (they should be ready to go on documents/labs by Oct 1) so I will have some time to look around without having to board them. I also plan to have some furniture shipped and possibly a car, but again, not sure about all the timing (4 wks to expect my stuff sound right?). Also, would love to hear your thoughts on places to live near Honolulu, but not necessarily in the city proper, as a yard for the dogs would be an awesome bonus.
Thanks in advance!
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2014, 06:40 AM
RE: moving to oahu, need rental by oct 1, 2014
Generally speaking the higher your monthly budget for rent the easier it will be to find a suitable rental. 4k is a good amount of money, so I think you should be able to find something within 2 weeks if you look every day. There are many Honolulu neighborhoods where you could find a home with a yard for the dogs. Maybe check around Manoa, St. Louis or Maunalani Heights or towards Hawaii Kai. You could also look in Kailua or Kaneohe if you don't mind driving about 30-45 min. into town. From the Ewa Beach/Kapolei area it takes about an hour to an hour and a half to get to Honolulu during rush hour traffic.
Find all posts by this user
05-31-2014, 06:14 PM
Thanks!! Is there any other resource for rentals besides Craigslist or is that best?
05-31-2014, 08:44 PM
I would say craigslist is the most popular and what I would mainly check. But once you get to Honolulu you can also get the local newspaper (Star Advertiser) and check the ads in it. Also, some real estate companies manage rentals and on their websites they list vacancies (just to give one example, Prudential Locations - pruhawaiirentals.com). There is also a free magazine available at street racks (sorry I forgot the name) that lists rentals. Then you could also drive around neighborhoods and look for signs at buildings that say "for rent", but this is more tedious and mainly applies to apartments and not homes, which you said you're more interested in because of your dogs. So I would say craigslist is the main source.
06-10-2014, 03:20 AM
roxy-
I am planning this move from TN also. Mine isn't this year though, as I have two more years of nursing school here on the mainland. I would love to keep in touch and hear how your experience with moving and living on Oahu goes. Lots of love and luck! (ps- I have dogs as well, two that will be going, and maybe our cat--- would love to hear about that also. I started purging my belongings and getting prepared last year.) Keep us posted!!!
xoxo- Stephanie