Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:41 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
moving to maui
04-25-2010, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2010 01:48 PM by Anthony2010.)
moving to maui
I am thinking about moving to hawaii with my wife and baby. I am tired of the stress and bad people here in Florida and the other states. I hope my wife can transfer to the wal-mart in Kahului/Maui. Does anybody know what they are paying the associates there. I also would like to find work there and I have experience in retail, security, construction, landscaping/lawn maintenance and also a 2 year degree in private investigations. What is our chances of survival there?
Never mind......From what I have read on other sites.....You have to be a rich person to afford to live there, or a single person with enough money to live on while sharing an apartment. I guess to start a new life for my family and I....Hawaii would not be a smart choice. I asume Hawaii is a perfect example as a Capitalist structured state. A very thin line between money spenders and money needers. Maybe I'll take my chances in the crime riddled "Sunshine State" Florida. Yeahhhh Mickey Mouse Sad
Find all posts by this user
04-25-2010, 04:01 PM
RE: moving to maui
Yes, Maui is very expensive, the most expensive island in Hawaii. The scenery there is very nice but you need money if you want to live in a nice place. Oahu is slightly cheaper (but not much). At least there are more job opportunities on Oahu. I don't know how much Walmart associates get paid in Kahului. Maybe you could email them directly and ask. However, it is difficult if not impossible to get by in Hawaii if you have a minimum wage job, which is currently $7.25/hour. Here is a recent article about the housing and pay situation in Hawaii: honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100422/NEWS01/4220370/Hawaii%20rents%20%20already%20least%20affordable%20in%20nation%20%20get%20worse?​GID=IaggXcQka5PHGmMkV5qrxxmDTpwEEJrLsYk1DaSfm8k%3D

By the way, the stress is not less here. In fact, I imagine life in Florida (and many other places in the continental U.S.) less stressful because things cost less, so you don't have to work as hard. Vacationing in Hawaii is different than living here. I wish you good luck in whatever you do and wherever you decide to go!
04-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Thank you....I hope to at least visit one day. Or maybe win the lottery Smile that would be sooooooo gooood Big Grin If that happens ill be the faster than you can say ALOHA.
02-23-2011, 09:02 AM
You should check out the big island. My husband an I lived in Hilo while we went to school and we could find a rental house for around 700 a month if you go a little outside Hilo, like towards Puna.. SO that may be a good option for you.
02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
(02-23-2011 09:02 AM)Guest Wrote:  You should check out the big island. My husband an I lived in Hilo while we went to school and we could find a rental house for around 700 a month if you go a little outside Hilo, like towards Puna.. SO that may be a good option for you.

Just a quick question,how long ago was that?
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
02-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Aloha, I may be moving to Maui this summer for a new job and was wondering what are general climate difference between the neighborhoods?
I've visited Maui for vacation in the past and have stayed in Kihei/Wailea area which is very nice but abit touristy. Is the home rental market tough if you have dogs?

Mahalo for your info.
G
02-11-2012, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:15 PM by eleakai.)
Aloha Openheart and welcome to our forum. One of our forum members recently put a very interesting link to an interactive rainfall map. You can see it here: https://www.to-hawaii.com/forums/Thread-Rainfall-Data On this map you can zoom in and see weather data for each neighborhood.
Yes, it's generally a bit more difficult to find an apartment where it's ok to bring a pet. But I'm not sure how tough it is in the Kihei/Wailea area because I have never lived there.
05-01-2012, 07:36 AM
I live on Maui and have a blog: mauidailyescape.com I am happy to answer questions to those thinking of moving here.
Aloha, Jamaica Michaels
05-21-2012, 09:45 AM
(05-01-2012 07:36 AM)Guest Wrote:  I live on Maui and have a blog: mauidailyescape.com I am happy to answer questions to those thinking of moving here.
Aloha, Jamaica Michaels

Aloha Jamaica M!
I'm sure that you probably get tired of generic inquiries like this, but...you asked!
Have my sights set on moving to Hawaii. Tired of the cold, looking for a change. I have lived in the tropics before, and currently live on an island, so I'm not concerned with those aspects of island living. However, after reading some statistics, I wonder how anyone can afford to live there (*ie avg earnings vs cost of living). I'm thinking of Maui (only ever been to Oahu & Maui) but open to other locations. I work as a carpenter/construction and sent off some resumes a while back. Although no one would make me a 'hard' offer I did receive a few positive replies. As in;" if you were here we would hire you."
Any suggestions that might help? Maybe what to expect for wages? Cheaper accomodations? Areas likely to have more development going on? Potential employers? Avg rent prices? etc. ANYTHING that might be helpful? Also, I am debating whether to bring my vehicle (Jeep Cherokee) and Bike (Yamaha) which look like they would cost me about $1500 to ship. In your opinion, is it worth it to ship? or just purchse there?
Again, thanks for any help that you can provide!
Tyler
06-01-2012, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:15 PM by eleakai.)
Aloha Tyler and welcome to our forum. Yes, I sometimes also wonder how more and more people seem to move here all the time (according to the most recent Census, the population in Hawaii has increased and the "Moving to Hawaii" page on our site is one of the most visited), https://www.to-hawaii.com/moving-to-hawaii.php . You can also find info about the average cost of housing on this page. The wages on average tend to be lower in Hawaii compared to the Mainland, but the cost of living is higher. From what I know I can say that the most affordable rentals are on the Big Island. But unemployment there is higher than on Oahu and Maui. So I guess it all depends on where you can find a job. It's true that it's best to look for a job once you're already here. You could check the local newspaper, craigslist, careerbuilder or employment agencies in case you don't have any local contacts yet. Connections (family, friends, acquaintances) surely are useful here when it comes to getting hired quickly. I don't know much about carpentry/construction jobs and what the wages in this industry are. I can't say if it's worth it to ship a car here. I guess it depends on how attached you are to the car and if it's worth it for you to ship it here. Otherwise you can easily purchase a new or used one here.

Thread Closed