Current time: 12-11-2017, 09:11 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
moving to big island
08-31-2011, 01:43 PM
RE: moving to big island
thank you so much for your response and suggestions. We will for sure look into that area.

Again thank you.

If you hear of anything else let me know...

Eric and Cheryl
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Unfortunatly I'm learning more about scams then moving to the BI..Anyone thinking or looking at rentals please check the below site out, good to know info....

http://hawaii.bbb.org/article/hawaiis-bb...scams-5655

Please if you know of a scam or come accross one, report it ASAP!!....Also report it to craigslist and to the Internet Fraud Dept. as well as to the State of Hawaii~if the scammer is advertising in this state.......*********Help the people who are truly advertising a ligitimate property etc.....*******and help the people who are searching for a ligitimate rental etc*********

Thanks
Eric & Cheryl
10-30-2011, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2011 10:45 PM by Gleneagles.)
It's late October as I write this, so I hope your questions have been answered by now. My brother has lived on both sides of the Big Island for many years, and this is what he says:
If you are in a community with regular cable service, you can get high speed internet. The provider will be Oceanic Time Warner Cable.
However, many Big Island residents live away from cable, so some other options might be Road Runner Wireless, also from Oceanic Time Warner, or the phone company, Hawaiian Telcom (which also provides wireless). The website for Hawaiian Telcom advertises high speed, but I don't know if this is DSL or not. Seismic is one of several local ISP's.
I'm originally from Pennsylvania (many years in California now), and my wife and I are also moving over to the Big Island in three weeks. There's no problem with cable services in and around Kailua-Kona.

(08-06-2011 01:31 AM)rwbarbour Wrote:  My wife and I are going to sell or rent our home in Pa and move to the big island. I need to know how well the internet service is on the big island? We will both be telecommuting for work. Were not sure what part of the island would be best we have been told there are 3or4 distinct weather patterns. It has been many years since I last visited the islands so I was hoping I could get some info on r upcoming move. Thanks for any help u can give me , Roy

If you are looking to rent a condo, it will always be safer to go through a property management outfit, usually connected with an established real estate office or the complex itself. Private rentals advertised on craigslist are often good deals, though.
My wife and I are shopping now, prior to our move over in a few weeks, but we won't make any agreements until we have visited the property. We are looking for a month-to-month for less than a year. What we've found on craigslist seems to be a mixed bag, and sometimes the fraudulent ones can be obvious. I always want to see an address, and then I Google Map it to know I'm in a neighborhood which will be convenient. We may opt for an ohana, which is guest quarters to a main house. In that case we want to deal directly with the resident owner of the house -- not an absentee person.
If it's a whole house instead, a property management company is a much safer way to go, and all of the legal aspects (such as insurance and deposits) will be right upfront. If you have any question about the ownership of a house, Hawaii County has their property tax rolls on their website, and you can search by address. I would also ask a real estate agent if the property has been listed for sale or is in the process of foreclosure; they will provide this information free of charge. Foreclosures are causing a great deal of uncertainty at the moment, and if a bank is showing as the owner when you search tax rolls, you'll know it's a scam!
These are some of the ways we are taking precautions. By the way, after an exchange of e-mails, don't be afraid of a long distance call to the landlord. You can learn a lot about the place this way, and scammers might not be able to answer certain questions.
Good luck!
--Bob

(09-05-2011 08:47 AM)EricandCheryl Rogers Wrote:  Unfortunatly I'm learning more about scams then moving to the BI..Anyone thinking or looking at rentals please check the below site out, good to know info....

http://hawaii.bbb.org/article/hawaiis-bb...scams-5655

Please if you know of a scam or come accross one, report it ASAP!!....Also report it to craigslist and to the Internet Fraud Dept. as well as to the State of Hawaii~if the scammer is advertising in this state.......*********Help the people who are truly advertising a ligitimate property etc.....*******and help the people who are searching for a ligitimate rental etc*********

Thanks
Eric & Cheryl
Find all posts by this user