Current time: 12-11-2017, 09:13 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
moving to Hawaii from NM
08-30-2013, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2013 09:28 PM by eleakai.)
moving to Hawaii from NM
Hello everyone!

Please let me introduce myself and my family. We are: myself, Shane, my mate, Layne, my older son Gabe, and my younger son, Aeddan. I also have other kids, but they will only visit us in Hawaii.

We are from New Mexico, where we live on the world's eighth largest supervolcano, called Jemez, pronounced hay-mess or hay-mesh, or hay-mez depending onn who's talking. It's a wonderful place, with a tight-knit community. Most everyone here is very friendly and either community-oriented or at least neighborly. It's a very huggy community; everyone likes to show physical affection for everyone. There's a world-famous saloon here called Los Ojos, of which there is a copy in New Zealand.

The Jemez is also home to the Los Alamos Scientific labs.

Anyway, we have decided to take our neighbor's offer to buy an acre in Ocean View, and we are going to ship our tools and pickup truck out to the Big Island and make a (slow) start building up there. It's about mid-way up, at 4,800 elevation.

Our son Aeddan was born here in the house in May; Gabe was born in Colorado 16 years ago. Layne is a music teacher, and I'm a carpenter, among other things.

We wanted to introduce ourselves and hopefully make some contacts before we come...

I will have to try again on the pics...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2013, 09:36 PM
RE: moving to Hawaii from NM
Welcome to our forum! It sounds like you're planning an exciting move. Have you been to Ocean View before? It's certainly an interesting place, just not for everyone. But real estate in this area is still affordable. You just have to be a bit more self-sufficient. Good luck with your move.
08-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Thank you! No, we haven't been to Ocean View; never even been to Hawaii. But the neighbor who is selling the lot to us out there grew up in the islands, so we gleaned some info from him about the area and the people and so forth. Then we looked at forums and newsfeeds and talked to the police and looked up the schools and stuff. Lots of negativity online about haole this and racism that but I know people sit at their computer terminals and rant behind their safe anonymity screen...so I take it with a grain of salt. America's an interesting and varied place, and the cities are much the same all over--even Albuquerque isn't so great, but we live in an area where you have to be 'a little more self-sufficient', as you said about Ocean View.

It's only 4,000 square miles, so opportunities may be somewhat limited; but it's also a more international venue, too, I suspect. I am looking forward to feedback and interaction here on your forum!

Thank you, again.
09-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Well, if I were you I would definitely at least visit the island once to see if you even like it. Especially since you want to buy land there, not just rent something. It's cheaper to check out the place, meet your new neighbors, etc. and then decide if it's for you than moving there without knowing the place and then realize it's not for you. A place can seem very different if you just research it on the Internet vs. going there and feeling it.
01-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Not sure if you have moved yet, but welcome to Hawai'i.