Current time: 11-25-2017, 01:25 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
looking to get away
08-18-2014, 03:00 PM
looking to get away
I'm a Michigan native living in Indiana. I hate it here. The cold, the rude people, the cement. I want a better sense of community and family for my children. My husband is going to school for biology and is considering studying the marine life and volcano activity around the islands so that he can take scientists out into the area when they come for studies. Personally, I would also love to move because of the tight knit community that the locals exude. However, I have been reading an alarming number of news reports about haole children being accosted in school. As far as tourists having problems, I have no doubt that the rude, pushy people that I have a problem with here have often brought it on themselves. But I'm concerned for my kids. They are all obviously mainland. I'm worried that their blond hair and blue eyes is going to earn them harassment in school. Since they are all going to still be quite young when we move, this greatly concerns me.... In all honesty how big is this problem?
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2014, 08:04 PM
RE: looking to get away
I can understand your concern. It very much depends on where you plan to live. It's true some schools don't have such a good reputation, but that's the case no matter where you live. Hawaii is a very multicultural place and there are children of all ethnicities. In many schools in Hawaii your children would not stand out at all. What island are you thinking of moving to?
Find all posts by this user
08-20-2014, 04:23 AM
It seems that Oahu is the safest, but we we've been looking at Volcano as our top choice as it is out of the way...
08-21-2014, 05:54 AM
You can also take a look at each island's population statistics / demographics. Most Caucasians, for example, live on Maui, Kauai and the Big Island (percentage-wise). Oahu has a higher percentage of people with Asian descent.
Find all posts by this user