Current time: 11-24-2017, 05:41 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Zen priest moving to the islands
03-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Zen priest moving to the islands
Hi,

My wife and I, like so many, would like to move to Hawaii. We would like to establish a modern Zen center, one that has a Hawaiian flavor to it. I currently work for the government as well and my wife is a translator. We have no housing or job prospects yet, just working on it.

If we can find housing at first I believe we will be able to find work and work on finding a location for the Zen center. If anyone has any suggestions we're all ears. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2011, 11:24 AM
RE: Zen priest moving to the islands
Aloha Shodo,
My question for you is this: Do you know which island you want to live on? I have a thread on this site called beware of Craigslist Ads and it covers how I moved to the islands and I strongly recommand that you read that and understand it carefully.Folks over here are simply not going to hold a place for you and in most cases will not even give you consideration if you are not already in the islands yet. They clean up their places and rent them back out three days later without skipping a beat here. Craigslist list ads are for the most part, a big waste of time and gets your hopes up for nothing. I would honestly say that more than 80% of those ads are scams by people who don't live in our country and legally has no connection to the properties they post ads for.
Your best bet is to go through vacation rental sites like VRBO.com which stands for "vacation rental by owner". Another route you can take and the way that I did it was to go through http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com and rent a condo or hotel for a 50% discount and put it on your credit card. After you arrive and check in,then you can shop condo to condo or a house. Then you can met the landlords in person and look at the places. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Also,if anyone mentions Western Union or ebay,a polite no thanks would be in order and then run for your life. In fact,it is wise to open an email account just for this search that has nothing describing your real names and even then,only use a first name that is not yours and then you have the option to same that name is a nickname your friends like to use.Hint,hint. Trust me,it's not the residents of Hawaii you need to worry about here. Also when you are emailing back and forth,try to get an address as soon as possible so that you can Google that address and you will find out within 20 minutes what you are up against.If the property was bought or sold recently( the scammers usually takes those real estate ads and customize them to make look like it is their ads) and you can usually find who the real owners are from sites like Zillow.com and so on. You may also find from Google,postings from people who got ripped off of all their money or even a posting from the real owner that their property is not for rent at all and how someone else is posting ads for the house or condo they live in. All I can say is do your homework and don't stop until you know every stitch of information about that property to be safe. These Nigerians in West Africa sit in these internet cafes in their country day and night making up these phony ads just to get to your money. For the most part,there is nothing our government can do for you to get your money back.
Again,please,please do your homework and research before you offer up your hard earned money. I am telling you this from my own experience and to be honest,I was just lucky that I thought of checking up on this ads and discovered what was really going on. If the price sounds to go to be true for that area,that is because it is really to good to ever be true. A two or three bedroom for rent in Waikiki for $1200 is an example of too good to be true and even if it was true,you would NOT want to live there yourself.
Well,this post is getting to be very long but if you have more questions,please feel free to post them or PM me directly and I will be happy to help in anyway.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
03-04-2011, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2011 03:40 PM by kaniamea.)
RE: Zen priest moving to the islands
Hey,

Thank you for the advice. I've had my experiences with scam artists here having to do with rentals.

We're not sure on the island yet, just looking to see what comes up and trying to make contacts in case anyone, someone honest, has any info they could send our way.
Find all posts by this user