Current time: 10-19-2017, 08:16 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Working in Hawaii
11-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Working in Hawaii
Hello from Bulgaria. My name is Zornitsa, 21 years old. With a keen
interest looked your site and read it. Planned for the future to try
his luck in Hawaii, now raise money and work. Can you tell me about
working there how things stood. Or if you know which companies
cooperate to find a job there.
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2009, 05:27 PM
RE: Working in Hawaii
Aloha Zornitza,

To work in Hawaii you will need a valid US visa or to be a green card holder. Please check on this website the types of US visas http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Find all posts by this user
03-04-2011, 01:23 AM
hi there
i was just enquiring how is the food business in hawaii? im a chef in australia at the moment and was wondering how do i go about to go into hawaii as a chef? i understand u will need a visa but im still quite vague about the idea and is it easy to find a sponsor even as a chef? thanks alot in advance
03-05-2011, 02:01 PM
(03-04-2011 01:23 AM)Guest Wrote:  hi there
i was just enquiring how is the food business in hawaii? im a chef in australia at the moment and was wondering how do i go about to go into hawaii as a chef? i understand u will need a visa but im still quite vague about the idea and is it easy to find a sponsor even as a chef? thanks alot in advance

Aloha downunder,
Let me first point something out to you, legally,no one here can offer you legal advice about working visas to come here. I will say that you have a good opportunity to do well over here as a chef. I would start out working for a major chain here first to get your feet wet and then start looking for a place to open on your own. Rents for businesses are quite high here for the main part of the tourist trade areas(between $15k-$30k a month USD) so getting started is quite a gamble. You would have better luck starting in Las Vegas and then expand to Waikiki later. That is the best advice that I could give you. I can say that your kind of work is very hard work and you have to be a team player.
I am not trying to talk you out of your dreams,I am just saying that hopping on a plane and flying here is only the easy part. I know a young man from your part of the world that had the very same dreams as you and the only company that he could find to sponsor him involve him washing windows 40 stories up and he makes one hell of a living doing just that. Hanging from a rope and many times under windy conditions going up and down tall buildings. I talk to him about once every three months if I can catch him at the right time when he does my windows.
So, don't give up hope and keep perfecting your art. I will tell you that Hawaii really needs better food here. Finding good food here is like finding a needle in a hay stack to be honest with you. If you are any good,you can do very well. Like I said,I would start with a big US company and get them to sponsor you and then branch out on your own. Maybe forming a partnership with someone here would also be a good idea. Your case is more challenging than most because you are coming from another country. It's the same thing that I would face if I were to try to move to your country,right? Except your country requires a pliable trade that would be a benefit to your country,we don't have those same rules in America.
I will give you two easy choices,fly to Libya and let US warships pick you up or fly here on vacation and marry a US citizen. Personally,I like being a soldier and would be more comfortable with that one,lol.
Either way,it's all about politics. The America people are just exhausted with people just waltzing across our south border and then applying for cash aid,food stamps and welfare while so many Americans are out of jobs right now.You are lucky in one aspect in that we currently have a very lame leader who is more than willing to look the other way right now. He will never get re-elected for many reasons but that is a big one for the American people right now.
So,the bottom line here is that you get started,do your homework and lots of research. Research about companies that are here in Hawaii or that operate nationwide here. I really hope and wish you the best.and never give up on your dreams. I,myself,dreamed of moving to Hawaii most of my adult life and I finally made it here two years ago and frankly,I no longer desire to go anywhere else. I've been around the world many times and have seen lots of things(and not all good things either) but something kept telling me that this would be the ideal place for me. I love it here. I like the beauty and the people for the most part. The only thing that seemed hard here was in the way that they seem to do things. It's either ass-backwards or very slow but you get use to it after a while and getting mad or upset doesn't help. Everything happens in due time,sort of like the saying here-I'll be there in 15 Hawaiian minutes,which means they will be there when they get there,lol. So,don't give up!
Good luck my friend and don't be afraid of anything I've told you,everyone that lives here now has had the same experience as I've had. To tell you the truth,there wasn't much of an advantage for me being a US citizen already. Everything is hard to understand at times but many of the locals here are willing to help you up the ropes and that is a major plus in my book. Feel free to post more questions as they come up and we'll do our best to answer them if we can.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
03-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Mahalo my friend...
thanks heaps for giving me a full brief. i understand the undertaking part of moving there but i just cant find the courage to actually make it happen as much as i would love to move there.mainly because of the strict immigration policies thats why. haha goin there and marrying a US citizen sounds great but come on... realistically speaking haha. well i'll keep trying to see what are the alternatives. ill most probably fly into hawaii for a holiday first somewhere in march next year to see how the place is like. never been there but love to stay there.. sounds silly i know but yea... its me Smile. but then again u have given me some encouragement and i thank you alot for that. mahalo again my friend and i hope we can somewhat meet up soon in the near future.