Current time: 10-19-2017, 08:09 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wifes Fear of Moving to Hawaii
07-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Wifes Fear of Moving to Hawaii
Aloha! My fiance and I are to be wed in two days and we are a young couple from the mainland with a beautiful 7 mo. old daughter. I have always wanted to move to Hawaii and just thought it was impossible until I found out my fiance has family that lives there. After that, the impossible seemed a little more possible. For a while, I had her talked into to going but after some time, she decided she wouldn't want to be that far away from her family here. I have tried and tried talking her back into; showing her statistics of the lower crime rate, better schools, laid back way of life, and plenty more pros about the beautiful Islands, yet she still refuses. Is it selfish of me to want her and our daughter to get away from all the drama and dangers of living on the mainland at the sacrifice of us not seeing our family as often as we do now? Any advice of what I could do to talk her into it because I just know she will love it?

It will be a couple of years before we can move due to our financial situation right now but that will give us plenty of time to save the money needed to move there. During those few years, I plan to get my PTA(Physical Therapist Assistant) license so that once we get there, I will have a decent resume for a decent job in that field..hopefully. Would this be a good plan of action? I mean is becoming a PTA a good career choice if living in Hawaii as far as job availability is concerned?

In moving there, we would also like to purchase a house instead of renting. We would stay with her family that lives there in order to wait for a good deal if one were to show up. What does the housing market look like with me being a PTA and her being a waitress or cosmetologist as far as affordability is concerned?

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2013, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:06 PM by eleakai.)
RE: Wifes Fear of Moving to Hawaii
Aloha and welcome to our forum. Yes, I can understand your dream of moving to Hawaii. You're not alone with this dream as many people move to Hawaii every year. Some stay, others don't, for a variety of reasons. Have you vacationed in Hawaii before? Which island would you move to? Jobs and the housing market can be different on each island.

I can understand your fiances concerns and/or fears of such a big move. For one, Hawaii is expensive. If you bring the money, it can be paradise. But if you're not wealthy, you're going to have to work hard to afford life here. Many people work more than one job to make a living. With a job as an entry level Physical Therapy Assistant you'll initially maybe earn around 40k. With this salary alone it will be hard to pay the bills. So your wife will have to work too and the baby will have to go to daycare (or maybe a family member has time to take care of it). Otherwise, daycare will be at least $500-600/month. On this page you'll find some more info about moving to Hawaii in general: https://www.to-hawaii.com/moving-to-hawaii.php

It's true that Hawaii has a lower crime rate than many other metro areas on the mainland, but Hawaii's public schools are not better but rather about average. You can read more here: http://www.kitv.com/Hawaii-Ranks-13th-On...index.html

If you have the money to send your child to a good private school, there are some good ones in Hawaii, but there are good ones on the mainland too. It's all a matter of having the money, no matter where you live. The same goes for crime rates. There are good and not so good neighborhoods. An average and decent one-bedroom apartment in Honolulu costs at least $1,500. A two-bedroom apartment is $2,000+. Since you're interested in buying a house, the average house currently costs around 600k, see here: https://www.to-hawaii.com/real-estate.php

The good news is that Physical Therapy Assistants and Waitresses/Cosmetologists are in demand in Hawaii. You could check craigslist or careerbuilder to see what jobs are being offered. Sometimes they also list the salary. This could give you an idea what you can expect to be paid and also how often jobs in these fields are being posted and what the conditions are.

Regarding the laid-back way of life, how laid-back it will be for you and your family depends a lot on your finances.

I agree it's a good plan to save some money for a few years before planning the move. You'll need some money to start up in the beginning, to set up your life here, find jobs, buy a new household, etc.
07-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Aloha! Mahalo Nui Loa Eleaki for replying! Yes, I understand her fears are completely reasonable, especially knowing that she's never been away from her family before. I also agree that the crime rate is better there and that is something that I key on alot seeing as there is so much crime going on here. I guess I would just want be somewhere where the odds of something happening to my family are lower than most and I wish I could just get her to see that. Im not sure where I seen that the schools were better there but if they are average, that is fine with me.

I have just been told that Hawaii is a very traditional place that teach good values, along with Christian ones, and that it is just overall a good place for my daughter to grow up. And with everything I just mentioned, it is evident in her family that lives there. I want my family to be like that. Im not saying that I cannot accomplish that here, but I just have the iron belief that it would be much more possible and gratifying if we were to move to Hawaii.

As for housing and jobs, I am glad that my career choice is very available there which gives me hope. I dont mind working hard, especially for something like providing for my family, no matter where Im at. Since you believe it will be hard with my choice though, would you have any recommendations for career choice that is similar to what I would like to do but which will make more money?

Any additional advice on helping me accomplish my dream of moving to Hawaii would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo! Smile
07-23-2013, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2013 08:47 PM by eleakai.)
Well, in terms of making more money, I can think of a variety of careers where you could earn more. But they require more schooling (e.g. doctor, nurse, etc). Since you're interested in the health care field and want to be a physical therapy assistant, why not become a physical therapist? This obviously requires a lot more schooling and you'd have to get your degree on the mainland (Hawaii doesn't have physical therapy schools), but in the long term you'd bring in a much higher salary. It might be something to think about since you're still young. And it's harder to advance your physical therapy assistant career once you've moved to Hawaii because as I said there are currently no PT programs/schools in Hawaii.

Crime overall might be a bit lower than in some areas on the mainland, but one problem that's prevalent in Hawaii is drug abuse. This, together with homelessness (because of the high cost of living), are issues that the Hawaii government are currently trying to get under control. Even in good neighborhoods, for example in Kailua, burglaries are currently on the rise. See a recent article here: http://www.khon2.com/2013/06/18/kailua-r...urglaries/

Here is also an informative crime map published by the Honolulu Police Department: http://www.honolulupd.org/information/in...imemapping It lets you zoom in and out and you can see what types of crimes recently happened on Oahu.

As for Hawaii being a traditional place that teaches good values, I guess it depends on the individual family. Hawaii is such a multicultural place and you pretty much find anything. People from all walks of life with different values, cultures, etc.
01-09-2014, 04:31 PM
I think I have to disagree about the fact that living in Hawaii is expensive. Some thing can be very expensive but the trade off is other things costing next to nothing. When my husband and I 1st move her I was complaining about my store packages cookies being so expensive but then we visited the local farmers market and found papaya to be 5 for $1.00. Now where on the mainland will you get 5 papayas for $1.00? It also depends on the island you are looking to live on, housing on the Big Island is cheap compared to Kauai. So you really have to look at the big picture. As far as a job as a PT assistant, my friend is a DR on the inland and every with medical experience is in demand.