Current time: 12-11-2017, 06:24 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where to live upon arrival?
08-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Where to live upon arrival?
One of the biggest worries I have about moving to Oahu is wondering where to live when I first arrive. I am just tring to line up work ( I have over 20 years in the freight forwarding and trucking industry) but I am assuming I will need to arrive first to prove I am serious. I will be debt free and my car will be paid off, and my credit is great, I just wont have more than a a few months (10-15K) in cash. It seems like most landlords(from what I have seen on craigslist and property management websites), want bank statements, rental history (I have owned my home for 16years, so I don't have much of one), and employement prior to even speaking with you.
Is it that hard to get a rental(long term), or do they just list things that way to "weed out the weak" and will work with me(and my wife and small child, and the big problem, 50lb dog). Will I need to get a "vacation" type rental(while dog is in lock down) until I find work, or are people used to this kind of thing with the military and such.

Any help/advice would be very welcome.
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2012, 11:39 AM
RE: Where to live upon arrival?
From my experience, I never had to show pay stubs to prove employment or bank statements when I rented a place on Oahu. All they wanted to see was my credit history (and the first time I rented here I didn't even have that because I was a student). Also, often times you just arrive at the showing and fill out the application right there. You'll have to look for an apartment complex that allows dogs. It's a bit more challenging than without pets. Many people more here all the time, so I think the landlords are used to that. It should be possible to find a long-term rental right away. It also depends a lot on your budget. You'll obviously have an easier time and more choices if you have a higher monthly housing budget. It sure is expensive here.
Find all posts by this user
08-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks, that make me feel a whole lot better!! I'm in Los Angeles and I'm from Santa Cruz,CA, so to be honest it doen't seem that expensive to me, I was pleasntly surprised by the prices at safeway (milk was 50 cents more a gallon, and at worst everything else was non-sale pricing), and I live in a 800 sq. ft. house so small houses/apartments will be similar or maybe even larger!!
08-28-2012, 12:05 PM
The main expense for most people here is the rent. Yes, you can find some good deals at supermarkets and try to buy only what's on sale (and maybe get a Costco or Sam's Club membership). But it's harder to save on the main expense, which is housing (especially when you're looking for a decent rental). Funny that you say that you found the groceries here not as expensive as you initially thought. When I was in L.A. a few years ago I was so excited to see the foods I usually buy here so cheap over there! And that was in Santa Monica.
08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, it IS more in Hawaii, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess if your from Texas your head would explode at the prices, for food,rent and everything else, but when you total all expences, it is really not much more than LA,SFO and NYC.
And without question it is a MUCH better place!!!!! well worth not being lazy and getting things on sale, or like you said Costco, as one of their gimics is to have the same prices at all of their stores...
08-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Yes, that's true and I agree Hawaii sure is pretty. Too bad that so many people here have to work more than one job to make a living. Like that there isn't much time left to enjoy the views. But since there are so many nice places, every weekend you can experience a mini-vacation without having to fly thousands of miles.