Current time: 10-19-2018, 05:44 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are your plans for New Year's Eve?
12-28-2010, 11:46 AM
What are your plans for New Year's Eve?
Aloha everyone! New Year's Eve is around the corner. Here in Hawaii it is warm and humid, even on cloudy days like today, lol!

A friend from the mainland is visiting me for a couple of days so we will probably go to the beach and watch the fireworks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2010, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2010 04:40 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
RE: What are your plans for New Year's Eve?
This is a very good question and I will have to admit that I'm playing this by ear. So far,I have the fireworks and the champagne and a short walk to the beach instead of driving is the plan so far. This is the final year for fireworks in Hawaii as the new ban goes into effect on Jan.2,2011. Just like the former smoking law in Hawaii, this new ban is an overkill also. I'm sure that they will have to change the law again or repeal it or let it expire like the smoking ban three years ago t caused tourism to drop 80% the very next month and now we have no smoking ban whatsoever now. The hotels here would like you to think there is a ban on smoking here but we currently have none.
I really don't know what to expect on New Years since the 4th of July was pretty quiet compared to the mainland. Now,I will say that Halloween exceeded any Halloween that I've ever had in the past and I hope New Years here will be out of this world!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
12-28-2010, 07:55 PM
I didn't know that there is currently no law that bans smoking in Hawaii. I remember when they made this law in 2006 because some of my friends were very upset about it because they couldn't anymore smoke in front of entrances to restaurants, etc. But I didn't know that laws like this have an expiration date. When did it expire?

If they also forbid all kinds of fireworks next year, does that mean there will be no more Aloha Friday fireworks either? Or for New Year's or for Independence Day?
12-28-2010, 11:52 PM
We'll still have permit obtained fireworks show here,we just will not be able to legally buy fireworks and this ban will have no effect on the residents of Honolulu county. They will now buy illegally obtained fireworks and more dangerous fireworks because they will be more inferior than those legally purchased today. This is called "cause and effect". When a very small group of people who claim to represent all the residents make hasty decisions without thinking this out first. The possibly end result maybe that this ban will support more illegal activities in the future and make criminals powerful. They should have followed other states and allow what is called "safe and sane fireworks" instead of an all out ban. If some people don't like fireworks,then maybe they should of booked vacations to places like Iraq,Afghanistan and Mexico. Yes,it sound a little cynical but bending the will of the people for a few winers has never worked and never will.
On the lack of smoking laws here over the last two years, again,this ban was not thought out very well and over 120,000 people lost their jobs seemingly overnite. They underestimated how many people smoke from Asian countries and our country. You can not get a ticket for smoking in public here but some hotels threaten travelers that there is still a smoking ban and that you can be fined $250 if you smoke on your lanais. Is this enforcable,probably not. In fact,I see people smoke in bars here still and if I'm doing any drinking myself,I simply don't mind at all. That is what people do when they drink and have a good time.
12-29-2010, 03:46 AM
I will be partying with friends for New Year. Hopefully I do not get in trouble!!!!!Big Grin
12-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Dude, I have a feeling that New Year's is going to be a blast here. Just last night, I saw the Party Bus make a left turn from Kalakaua at the McDonalds and got himself wedged in that narrow street that runs next to the McDonalds and couldn't go forward or backwards because of the traffic. This was a big bus and it was pretty funny if you ask me. It was at sunset and it was crowded out there. People were yelling at the driver that they could drive that bus if they had a few beers,too funny. It took that driver about 5 or six trys to get that bus turned. I bet that driver felt like he was only an inch tall at that moment,lol.
12-29-2010, 12:35 PM
That is really funny! Poor driver Smile
Yes, New Year's will probably be busy again this year. Every few days or so since the beginning of this month, I hear very loud "bombs" go off around my neighborhood. The last one was so loud and close that everything in my house vibrated. Even though I don't mind fireworks and enjoy watching the aerial ones, I'm no big fan of these loud and scary ones that don't even look pretty.
12-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I've a few of those myself around 3am in the morning. If it was me,at least I would yell out "Pull" or "Fire in the Hole" first. We bought some stuff but nothing like that,lol.
12-30-2010, 02:46 AM
Sounds like lots of the locals drink before they launch the fireworks............oh yeah, its the same here in Maryland!!!!! Big Grin
12-30-2010, 04:04 AM
Yeah,not the wisest thing to do,isn't it,lol. I'm surprised that more people don't have their fingers missing. Man oh man!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)