Current time: 11-24-2017, 12:25 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Weather Forum Discussions/Comments/Ideas
01-14-2011, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2011 01:20 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Weather Forum Discussions/Comments/Ideas
As you may of noticed, there are many threads in this forum that are closed and there is a good reason for that. If I had left them open for postings,eventually these links would have been buried after a while. Those discussions can now be done here and I would love to hear from our ohana readers out there.
As you can tell,this is a very young forum although the main website To-Hawaii.com, the Hawaii Travel Guide, has been around for a long while now.
So basically,you as the reader, have an opportunity to help mold this forum into the things that you, as an ohana member, would like to see and be an equal partner of, in this forum. You will notice over time that we are striving to be one big ohana or family, in this Hawaii-based forum. If you have any ideas you would like to share,you can post it here or PM me directly from the members list link above.
I'm also leaving this thread open for you to discuss the weather in your area of the country. It is interesting to see how much snow,temps,rain or thunderstorms you are experiencing in your part of the country, and in some case,the world.
Thank you and mahalo for registering and becoming a member of our ohana and we look forward into hearing from you!
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2011, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 02:06 PM by eleakai.)
RE: Weather Forum Discussions/Comments/Ideas
In your description of this tread, you mention average temp and rainfall amounts in Hawaii.
This is data collected by Oahu weather folks. The weather as we all know, has changed pretty drastically in the past few years. Much of this can be attributed by the Global Warming Effect.
All of the majors islands fall pretty much in the "S" description. S stands for South and also Sunny. I believe that this data was accumulated in Honolulu. So........ keep that in mind. The northern side of the islands as well as upcountry, will be cooler and wetter. (Especially in the rain forests where it rarely quits raining )

Rich
01-18-2011, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2011 11:13 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Aloha Rich and mahalo for the rainfall and temp graphs. I used it for a new thread and then locked it up so that everyone will get a chance to use it. I also left it here because it will get buried here someday and I didn't have your permission to delete your post above. As long as I give credit where credit is due,no harm,no foul. Plus I thought your post was important enough to preserve it for all future members to glance at when needed. We've seen these same questions asked about the month that a member will be traveling to Hawaii and now they can go to that thread and simply look it up themselves. Again,thanks for your contribution to our ohana forum and welcome.
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I like this weather section a lot and I think it will be a great help for travelers to Hawaii! Do you think we could have a thread where important phone numbers are listed (in case they don't have access to the Internet), such as where one can call and get updates for the current wave conditions, etc.
Find all posts by this user
01-19-2011, 05:45 PM
For other weather conditions, and mainly as they apply to the ocean surf, here are a few online links where that information can be found.
Most of these are sponsered and provided by the National Weather Service.
Surf conditions on Oahu's shores:
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/SRF.php

Tide charts , that of course change daily:
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tides11/tab2wc3.html#166

All sorts of information about the ocean:
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/marine.php

Now, what if you are visiting the islands and you don't have computer access? Here are some phone numbers where you will receive automated messages about surf conditions:

Ohau - 808-973-5286

Maui - 866-944-5025 (toll free)

Kauai - 808-245-6001

Hawaii (BI)- 808-935-8555
01-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Hello and thanks Rich for pulling the slack for me while I was gone for a few days. I have a bunch of new stuff coming and I will try to get as much of it done today. I had a bunch of honeydo's that I've been secretly putting off and just had to do this week. I think we've all been in that boat before but I have got to say that they were not as painful as I thought they would be. Also had a friend visiting the islands and she went back to Los Angeles to get ready for the Grammy's and a conert she is doing with Cheryl Crow and Peter Gabriel. I wish I could be there for that. I met Peter years ago when I was a voting member and was invited to the Vh1 Honors so many years ago.
I got a call today and she is going through some of the same things as everyone who has every visited to Hawaii,she is going through the depression or withdrawl symtoms of leaving Hawaii. I remember seeing people crying at the airport after I had landed at HNL because they just had the most wonderful vacations of their lives and they are going back to wherever they came from. Hawaii seems to do that to people but I kept it all in and decided that I was going to move here no matter what it takes. My only disappointment today is that the Hawaii that I once knew isn't the same.
On the brighter side of things,I have met some wonderful people that have lived here for 30+ years and they say that Hawaii goes through phases like the economy,things gets real good,then bad and then good again. They said that Hawaii is going through a tough time right now but that will change and the city will have more money again then they know what to do with. They talked about former Mayor Harris,who had so much surplus that he built new sidewalks and all kinds of stuff that benefit tourism and provided jobs to locals here. Those were the good times and will be again.
01-20-2011, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2011 09:33 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Hi Rich, thank you for posting these helpful links and phone numbers. I wish I had these phone numbers when I was camping about 10 days ago and I was wondering how big the waves would be on the north shore Smile Next time I go camping for sure I will write down the phone numbers and take them with me.

WonderinginWaikiki, that must have been very touching to see people crying when they were about to leave Hawaii! I remember a friend of mine told me a very touching story: This happened many years ago. He was working as a waiter in a Kona restaurant, where he served an elderly couple with two Hawaiian cocktails. As he served the cocktails the couple suddenly looked at each other, held each other's hands and started crying. My friend was surprised and confused because he did not know what was going on or if he did something wrong. He asked the elderly couple if they were ok and they replied: "We are crying because we are so happy to be here in Hawaii. We have waited and saved all our lives to come here and see these beautiful islands and now when we are served these cocktails with tropical umbrellas in them, which we have only seen on TV before, it makes us cry. We are crying out of happiness."

Beautiful story, isn't it?
01-21-2011, 10:15 AM
This is the Hawaii forum I have been looking for! I have missed the closeness of friends lately on the other site, so I don't go there any more.Thank you for developing this site.
01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
(01-21-2011 10:15 AM)enid brewster Wrote:  This is the Hawaii forum I have been looking for! I have missed the closeness of friends lately on the other site, so I don't go there any more.Thank you for developing this site.

Hello Enid,
Thank you for your very kind words. I have learned over time that the secret to success is listening and learning from others what they want,like and are looking for in a forum. It's also about learning from other people's mistakes and my own too. Please keep in mind that this is a very young forum still but that I've heard the message and will follow through to everyone's goals and mine. I will promise to keep this forum strictly about Hawaii and not other states and countries. It's great when all cylinders are firing perfectly and you've seen me get those engines running perfectly over the last ten or more years,only to have someone change everything overnite to squeeze more out of something that has already been providing enough already. People naturally afriad of changes and if they are needed,care and caution must always be exercised no matter what.
One important lesson I've learned from other forum's mistakes is that you must always keep the ohana together at all costs. Our ohana isn't a bunch of strangers anymore after all these years,we are a big happy family and a balance must be maintained even if you own the forum itself. You go against one,you go against all and that is never the goal.
Once I get this one going really good,I'm going to invite the old crew and have the yearly meets in Hawaii like I had just a few years ago until someone tinkered with a good running machine. I spent a lot from my own pockets before. The banners and the Hula shirts for everyone even when Hawaii.com wouldn't show up to our yearly reunions. That showed a total lack of respect to all of the ohana.
I have no donuts or carrots to entice people to join and post and become family. I tell you what I do have is a firm handshake when you arrive and I'm always willing to pick people up at the airport. Our ohana's words of wisedom, comfort and our photographs is what we are offering here. I am so happy that everyone loves this ohana forum even before it's fully taken shape. You've seen my posts,read what I've done for total strangers and even was a donor match for a kidney transplant for one of our ohana. Enid and Anne,you both know and understand me well enough. These are people's lives after being together for years like this and you can't upset the balance of your real families at home and you can't do that here either. So thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will cut this post down after a couple of days so our ohana gets a chance to read this and then I'll make it short and sweet. I just feel that maybe the ohana needs some reassuring right now and I love you all.
Thanks and mahalo to all of our ohana!
01-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Aloha Enid,

Thank you for your kind words about our website and our forum! Yes, I agree with WonderinginWaikiki, our goal is to keep the aloha spirit here and stick to Hawaii-related topics only.

~ Mahalo and welcome to our forum ~