Current time: 12-11-2017, 09:10 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Weather Forum Discussions/Comments/Ideas
01-25-2011, 02:14 AM
RE: Weather Forum Discussions/Comments/Ideas
Aloha Enid! Nice to hear from you. I think it is time for all of us to hook up in Hawaii!!!!!Smile Wish I was hanging out with the ohanna right now!!!
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2011, 11:44 PM
For those traveling to any of the Hawaiian Islands this coming week,brace yourselves. We had unstable air and weather over the islands for a week now and we are going to have at least another week of this.
This coming Sunday could rival last Monday night when we made the national news with thunderstorms and flooding. The action is suppose to start in the early afternoon and go throughout the evening and into the following morning.
This is because our tradewinds have been cut off and the daily heat of the islands are triggering the thunderstorms in the late afternoons. We have moisture coming in from the south and all the unstable air is why we've had lightning every night for a week now and will get another week or more of it.
Actually,I personally think that this is a wonderful time to see this as compared to south Florida. You see this kind of weather down there from June to August but the heat and humidity will just kill you down there.
Don't forget to bring your cameras and tripods for this. I like to carry one of those disposable ponchos in case you do get caught in a downpour. Here though,you can see the rain coming,even at night. It only seems to last for a couple of minutes unless it's a full on storm.
Also,it seems to be much dryer along the beaches here vs one or two blocks in. It could be raining from the mountains to Kuhio Ave but not on Kalakaua Ave. A difference of only 500-1000 feet it seems. Most of us duck into an ABC Store until it passes. Even it you get soaked,it dries very fast. In fact, I don't even waste my time carrying an umbrella. You can buy those ponchos on the mainland at your local 99 cent stores (about $1.99 here at Wal-Mart) and put those in your back pocket or purse.
So, enjoy our usual winter like weather and remember,this weather makes for some of the most beautiful sunsets on the planet. Let see those pictures.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
05-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Hopefully all that wicked weather will be done when I get there at the end of the month! As sweet as I am I would melt under all that rain!!!!Big Grin
05-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Smile)
05-09-2011, 01:33 AM
How is the weather doing in Hawaii? Did you have bad storms over the weekend or are things getting better?
05-09-2011, 02:51 PM
(05-09-2011 01:33 AM)NoKaOiDude Wrote:  How is the weather doing in Hawaii? Did you have bad storms over the weekend or are things getting better?

Hi Dude,
Actually, we are not done with these storms yet. Even though we have an upper level high above the state, we also have a surface low just 200 miles southwest of Kauai that is moving northeast that has been making the air over Hawaii so unstable.
I do have to say that Mother's Day wasn't as bad as predicted because the storm arrived later in the evening. Rain wasn't as bad either, just slow and steady. Our stream gauges are going down but are still high enough to change quickly to bad if it starts raining hard again. That is why they are advising everyone not to hit the hiking trails or any attractions that are located in the mountains and streams. The ground here has absorbed so much water that flash flooding comes easy.
We are suppose to have more storms tonight until Wednesday or at least until we know the what and where of this unstable surface low is going to do. There are still bridges on Kauai and Oahu that are located over streams that are still closed. The other worry is rock and landslides. We had a small rock slide that ruptured a gas main for one home yesterday but nothing major yet.
Also, we've had some winds that have closed the Pali lLookout due to falling trees and on Kauai, they've closed the lookout points for the Pali Mountains. So the ground is very wet here and will take some time to dry out. They are hoping for the trade winds to start again around Thursday or Friday and that will be the first sign that the air is becoming stable again. You can expect delays while driving around these islands for some of these reasons. Pack a few drinks and snacks if you are planning to drive around Kauai or Oahu and driving with aloha is a big plus also.
All and all, it hasn't been that bad yet. By the time you get here Dude, I think we'll be in good shape,fingers crossed. Having this kind of weather in Hawaii is very unusual but again,our country has been going through this.
Since last October or November, we have been getting rain on a regular basis and that is why places like Diamond Head is so green and overgrown right now. Having thunderstorms this time of the year is very rare for Hawaii. Hawaii has been going through a drought for the last 4 or 5 years now and I think we can say that this drought is over for this year.
So pack your bags and your camera, and take advantage of a beautiful and green Hawaii. The views will be better than years past and we don't know if we are going to get this kind of rainfall next year and the next.
05-10-2011, 01:59 AM
That sounds great! I wanna hike up Diamond Head and do some hiking on Kauai!
05-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Just remember Dude, I didn't say that these attractions were bug-free. We have a lot more bugs this year and I just killed a mosquito in my bathroom just last week and I'm like 368 feet above the ocean.
Speaking of weather, we had a bunch more lightning last night in the mountains above us. That's nothing compared to Kauai though. They have been getting pounded with more severe storms than we have for the last two nights. That surface low has shifted more to the northeast and I believe that tonight will be our turn. That put the storm action closer to us and now they don't know exactly when they can lift the Flash Flood Watch for here yet. They just extended it again. This is turning out to be my favorite time of the year for weather. I am hoping for another light show tonight. Big Grin
05-11-2011, 02:19 AM
I have hiked up Diamond Head and many places on Kauai and I have never had any problems with bugs biting me. Hopefully they are gone when I get there. But then again, as sweet as I am the bugs might be after me when I get there! Big Grin
05-13-2011, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2011 07:48 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Just an update on the weather here in Hawaii, our thunderstorms are being very stubborn and don't want to leave. A surface trough has stalled just south of the islands and it was suppose to leave a week ago and hasn't. It's pulling up all this tropical moisture from the south and made the air here under very unstable conditions while the upper level high has moved on to the east already. There is no sign of when our trade winds will return and that has left us very hot, humid and sticky.
If you understand the theory of cause and effect, this has left us with these wonderful light shows every evening just after sunset with thunder and lightning. Now this might be a little scary when flying into HNL on an 8pm flight.
Last night, the west side of Oahu simply got pounded with thunder,lightning and flooding. Several roads were closed and some bridges were closed too. Kauai had the same results,just only worse. They recorded almost 8 inches of rain during a 8 hour period but the local news quote was almost 7 of those inches happen during a one hour period. That there was a sewage overflow of at least 1000 gallons of untreated raw sewage in the Hanapalu area.
We have not had a good sunset here in over two weeks and therefore, I haven't been able to capture any sunset pictures to post on this forum. Now the latest forecast is that this could last another week but no going to end until this coming Tuesday at the earliest. No reason to change your vacation plans,this is still Hawaii and the most wonderful place on earth. Bring your cameras and be prepared to take the most fantastic pictures of Hawaii that you've ever seen.
Mahalo-WW