Current time: 12-11-2017, 06:16 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Waterfalls anyone?
04-22-2011, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 01:00 PM by eleakai.)
Waterfalls anyone?
Maui is no exception when it comes to waterfalls. Many of the pretty ones are not visible from the road, but here are a few that are.

Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2011, 08:59 PM
RE: Waterfalls anyone?
These waterfalls are very beautiful. I one time did a Road to Hana tour, but I don't remember seeing so many waterfalls. Maybe that's because I did a group tour and didn't drive myself. Then it's always more in a rush. But for sure it's one of the most scenic areas on Maui. Thank you for posting this video. It really makes me want to go there again soon, but this time in my own pace.

When I did the Road to Hana tour, the Pi'ilani Highway (also known as the back road) that leads south from Hana toward Maui's south shore was still closed because of the earthquake damage (from the 2006 earthquake on the Big Island). So after spending a few hours in Hana, our tour bus drove the Hana Highway back instead of continuing on Pi'ilani Highway.

So anyway, there was suddenly a big traffic jam. We didn't know what was going on, but nothing was moving anymore. And this surely wasn't good news on a highway like the Hana Highway because it's very narrow, curvy and you simply can't turn around to take an alternative route because there isn't any.

After an hour of waiting there (it was already around 7 pm), a few people got out of our bus and tried to find out what was going on and why the road seemed to be blocked. All we could see was cars in front of us but no reason why they weren't moving. So a few guys walked for about 2 miles and when they came back they told us that there was a bad accident and that it would take a few more hours until they would open the highway again.

So we were stuck on the Road to Hana until about 10 pm. Luckily we had bought a banana bread at a roadside stand in the afternoon, so this was our dinner. A few fellow travelers had to use the restrooms really bad, so everybody went into the bushes next to the road. When we were dropped off in Lahaina, it was after 11 pm and all the stores were closed. So this was my Road to Hana "adventure."

For those of you who read this post and don't know the Road to Hana yet, the picture below will give you a good idea.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  view_from_the_air.jpg (Size: 51.98 KB / Downloads: 21)
Find all posts by this user
04-23-2011, 05:47 PM
RE: Waterfalls anyone?
Great story and neat pic. You don't see the highway from this perspective very often.
The waterfalls are really subject to the "current" rainfall. Current is just what it says. Falls may start during a heavy rain but about dry the next day. The large Wialua Falls are on an irrigation ditch and so if water is diverted to central Maui and crops, it will be practically dry.
I really do feel that Maui has a larger number of falls than any of the other islands, but then as I mentioned, some many are not visable from the highway.
In November of this year, it had been very wet and I saw falls on the Hana road that I have not noticed before.