Current time: 10-19-2017, 01:43 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Warning- The Ocean can be Dangerous
01-29-2011, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2011 04:40 AM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Warning- The Ocean can be Dangerous
One of the first things I thought about when moving to Hawaii that there is a big ocean out there and the unexplained can happen at anytime here. You think,well,I'll stay away from the ocean at night,no swimming or surfing,because THERE IS SHARKS out there! To be honest, it's not the sharks you need to worry about. Yes,we get the aggresive Tiger Sharks sometimes but still very rare.
The point that I'm trying to make here without trying to sugar-coat my point here is that strange things really do happen if you don't think about your own water safety when you live or visit Hawaii. One of the first things you learn is to never turn your back to the ocean and that is so true. Secondly,it only takes about five minutes to check the Tide Charts that I've posted on this site,that will save your life. Then after you've done and followed all the right things, tragedy can still happen on the best of days and under ideal conditions like in the story I am going to link you to here.
It is unclear of exactly what happen or how it happen in this following news story that was just reported here. A father and daughter found dead next to the tide pools. This is a beautiful place to visit and it's safe about 99% of the time. When you come here to visit or like our staff that have made this wonderful place our home,please always think about your own personal water safety. People take this subject with a grain of salt and oh,that would never happen to me. The truth is,it does happen and it will happen. Never say,oh,that would never happen to me,that ocean is very powerful and it will happen,it just a matter of learning to trust your own inner judgement,listen to it and act accordingly.
This story was on the news here today but I had heard about it within two hours of incident the night before. I was torn in two directions as to whether to relay this story onto our forum or not and how I would write it. I moved two beautiful children here to Hawaii with me and I think about their safety around the ocean everyday. Yes,I thought about it and said to myself,"This won't make a dent into our tourism,people will still come regardless."
So I wrote this story from the heart first with thoughts of my own family in mind and then the readers as it should. I'm always telling my kids to stay away from the edge of the water at certain places around the island especially since I've only lived here for two years now,three if you count my research time. No doubt,kids will be kids and as parents,we must be alert. The ocean does not replace the TV at home.
Just click on the link below and read the story. Thanks and be safe...

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/stor...S=13928429
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2011, 07:27 PM
RE: Warning- The Ocean can be Dangerous
That is so sad. I have always tried to use caution when it comes to the ocean. My mom also use to tell me the very same thing, Never turn your back on the Ocean. I am going to teach my son to have respect for the ocean, and to never panic. I know panicking can only cause problems, even death....
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2011, 03:02 AM
Yes, it's a sad truth here in the islands. In just the month of April, we've had at least three drownings that I know of. There could have been more than that but I don't watch the local news everyday here in Hawaii. The news is so boring here as compared to the mainland but on the other hand,most of that news on the mainland was mostly very bad. I'll take boring over bad any day. I'm sure that most would agree.
05-05-2011, 02:05 AM
Hey bro! You think you can keep me out of trouble when I am in Hawaii in a couple weeks???? Big Grin
05-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I will do my best Dude but you know Hawaii is like a giving a raccoon a jar of peanut butter. You just know that guy is just going to get that jar stuck on it's head and their is nothing you can do to prevent it,lol.
Just so that you are aware. They just voted to raise taxes on alcohol and we couldn't prevent that either. They mismanage our taxes and then need to raise more taxes to cover their mistakes, sounds like a plan,right? Not that I really notice a difference though, I only drink once in a blue moon,lol.
What could be fun though is maybe camping and fishing overnight at one of many places I know of on the North Shore. Pick up a good size tent at Sam's Club and some firewood,set up the poles and bells, and we're in business. Actually,there is many places on this island where you can camp,fish and build a bonfire overnight or over a weekend. I have a few friends from Japan that would like to do the same thing also. This is their fourth time visiting me from Japan since I've lived here.
You got restrooms,picnic tables and showers right there but they lock our vehicles in the parking lot there overnight is the only drawback if you can call it one. You got bbq grills right there so you can cook what you catch right there on the spot. Now,that's a cool adventure,Hawaiian style!
05-06-2011, 01:48 AM
I am looking forward to hooking up with you in Hawaii!!!!Wink