Current time: 10-17-2017, 03:43 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Waimanalo Beach
11-20-2011, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:44 PM by eleakai.)
Waimanalo Beach
Today was a very windy day on Oahu's windward coast. The trades were making the ocean a bit too choppy for swimming. The photos show how quickly the weather can change in Hawaii. When I arrived at Waimanalo Beach Park, it looked very gloomy and dark. About a half hour later, the sky was blue over the ocean. Another half hour later, it was back to gloomy weather. It's really interesting to watch the clouds move by so fast!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2011, 01:00 PM
RE: Waimanalo Beach
Those are some great pictures of Waimanalo Bay and the south end of Bellows Marine and Air Force Reserve Base. I was visiting this area a few weeks ago with my German Shepherd and we were playing in the surf because Waikiki was experiencing the Box Jellyfish. Then we had a couple waves that brought in these little blue and white Portuguese Man of War and I got stung pretty good on one of my legs.
I have been to this beach many times and never encounter them before, maybe a rare occurrence. I will say that this has to be the most beautiful beach on this island and the best beach to swim at.
The best time to visit this beach is in the morning hours with it's brilliant shades of blues and greens that you've ever seen. You can walk down this beach on some days and never see another person or maybe a few local residents walking their dogs. Sometimes,if it's on the windy side, it will become quite cool because this beach has good shade in the afternoons.
If you are looking for a good beach to have a picnic and bbq, this beach has grills, restrooms and running water. There is plenty of free parking and is one of the few beaches on this island that has handicap parking spaces too. I say this because there seems to be a lot of discrimination of the handicap by the city and county of Honolulu and that maybe due from past abuses with Handicap Cards in the past by many of the local residents years ago. This is suppose to be a law enforcement issue and not a city issue and maybe someday this will turnaround with the overwhelming amount of disabled veterans from the current and last few wars.
The bottom line here is that this is a super wonderful beach and the local residents are simply the best that Oahu offers.You don't want to forget your camera and will be one of the highlights of your trip.
Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
11-21-2011, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2011 01:26 PM by kaniamea.)
Yes, Waimanalo Beach is also one of my favorite beaches on Oahu. It's very scenic and the ocean looks azure blue even if the sky is grey and cloudy! It's really amazing. As far as swimming there, I don't think it's the best beach for swimming because the ocean is often times too choppy. I have been there even on a calm summer day but usually people just stick to the shore and play in the waves, maybe some bodyboarding, etc. But serious long-distance swimmers don't go to Waimanalo. Ala Moana Beach Park in my opinion is the best beach for swimming on Oahu. It is protected and has little wave action.
11-21-2011, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:45 PM by eleakai.)
(11-21-2011 01:25 PM)kaniamea Wrote:  Yes, Waimanalo Beach is also one of my favorite beaches on Oahu. It's very scenic and the ocean looks azure blue even if the sky is grey and cloudy! It's really amazing. As far as swimming there, I don't think it's the best beach for swimming because the ocean is often times too choppy. I have been there even on a calm summer day but usually people just stick to the shore and play in the waves, maybe some bodyboarding, etc. But serious long-distance swimmers don't go to Waimanalo. Ala Moana Beach Park in my opinion is the best beach for swimming on Oahu. It is protected and has little wave action.
We must have been somewhere near there. It was very pretty but the lifeguards had their orange flags out.
11-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Yes Rich, that looks the place! That has to be my favorite beach on this island.
Ala Moana Beach Park is ok, might be better for swimming but the homeless and some of the lower class people that frequent this beach park puts it near the bottom of my list. I have swam at this beach a few times and it sure has a rocky bottom and you need those beach mocs to protect your feet. The upside of this park is that it's across the street from the mall and close to town and well patrolled by HPD cause it has to be.
So, I don't mind swimming in the surf with the most beautiful view of a beach on this small little island. Your other choices are Kailua Beach Park or Sunset Beach on the North Shore.
11-22-2011, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2011 04:14 PM by kaniamea.)
Yes true, there are some homeless at Ala Moana Beach Park, but they usually hang out in the park and not directly on the beach. I think there are way more homeless in other areas on the island, including Waikiki.

It seems like you went swimming at Ala Moana Beach either in the middle section of it or on the Ewa side of it. Because the Magic Island side doesn't have any rocks. This is the area where most people enter the water because it's all sandy ocean bottom there. That's also why I prefer Ala Moana over Waikiki because most areas on Waikiki Beach have coral reef. My favorite beach in Waikiki is Kaimana. It has a sandy ocean bottom and is somewhat protected from high waves, even though the current can be quite strong (especially when the tide is flowing out).
11-23-2011, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2011 08:30 PM by WonderinginWaikiki.)
Aloha Rich and Jeanne,
I just showed my kids your pictures and the kids came up with a great idea. As this is one of their favorite beaches here on Oahu, their idea was to have a Thanksgiving picnic at this beach tomorrow.
We are not into baking turkeys and big dinners, in fact, we usually bake a ham instead of turkey since their is only the four of us,five if you count our dog,Rocky.
The weather is suppose to be dry and sunny tomorrow and a long holiday weekend. The kids have new kites they want to fly and I have some new lures I want to try.
Ah, it's a long weekend to get many things done. It's time to change the decorations to a Christmas theme from Thanksgiving and Halloween. Change the color of the lights on the lanai and put up new things. Each year since we moved here, shows signs that we accept the big changes it took to get here.
As all is well, the kids have made new friends and still keep in touch with the best of the old ones. Like the pilgrims from long ago, we're learning new things from this new place we now call home.
If you can take those first steps as I have done, it's a big risk as you know, big rewards comes to those with faith. Although this may not be for everyone, but it is what it is, you have to want it more than me.
If you take the view that I have learned, working here can be so much fun, five days on and then two days vacation, you will lose the urge to go anywhere but here. Although time seems to go so fast and holidays seem to come and go, it's like taking an endless vacation and watch my children grow.
If this seems to rhyme, I don't know why. All I was trying to say was for everyone to have a nice Thanksgiving weekend. As I clear my post and wipe off my keyboard, everyone take a moment and think about the ones we love and all that we are thankful for and too. Take the time to thank ourselves because we count too. If we look out for everyone else and never ourselves, then how can we be there for the loves we love?
Happy Thanksgiving to Rich and Jeanne, Anne and Charlie, Dude and Candy,Enid and her family, and all the ohana that reads this forum. Take care of yourselves, don't burn your fingers baking that Thanksgiving dinner, and say Thanksgiving to one another.
Yes,I am still WonderingInWaikiki

P.S.- Please send your check to P.O.Box ...Just kidding!
11-23-2011, 05:00 PM
And a great Thanksgiving to you also. It sounds like fun to go to the beach for a cold cut sandwich for me too. We don't usually have our families here so have dinner with my sister and brother-in-law. We lost my oldest sister in July this year so the dinner is getting smaller. I do enjoy cooking for a group so that will be at Christmas time this year.
Don't let the hurricane blow you away Smile
11-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Aloha Rich,
Sometimes in life, you get the best of both worlds, my wife came home with both, a ham and a boneless turkey roast. We are going to cook both tonight and then heat them up at the beach tomorrow. So best of both worlds again, a hat trick.
I'm glad to hear that Jeanne will not be laboring in the kitchen all night and probably you also. Sorry about the passing of your oldest sister, I know that must be tough. Look at this as an opportunity for the family to heal.
I,myself,have a lot of things going on in my life too. I have a friend whose wife has brain cancer and was doing so well until recently.It doesn't look good and I know how it feel to be in those shoes and refusing to believe that the end could be near or refusing to give up.
On the other end of the spectrum, I was asked to write an endorsement for a friend's book before final print and the publishers just loved it. I wonder if there is more good things that will come my way from this? Anything is possible I suppose and I got to keep my open to that opportunity if it should come my way.
I have known you and Jeanne for almost a decade now and I know that the both of you have a great deal to be thankful for and there is rewards for living a good,clean life,no doubt about it. I wish that I could say that about myself but...I am doing the very best that I can and I am aware that there is plenty of room for improvement on my part. I do get complacent at times and have to stop and regroup. I am only human and I'm not providing myself excuses anymore. I hear sirens from the fire trucks and ambulances everyday below me and wonder if they will come for me...I'm sure they will.
Just include me in a small prayer and I will do my best to listen. There is two things that I've learned in life and that is never make promises that you can't keep and there is no such thing as a loan. Give if you can help and hope that it counts in a very big way. I don't need money...just good karma.
So when I say thank you, I really mean it and I am truly thankful for that understanding and offer my best. So Happy Thanksgiving and I'll see you when I see you. So take care of yourselves and have a wondeful weekend.
11-24-2011, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:44 PM by eleakai.)
Here are two photos taken at low tide that show the rocky area vs the sandy area at Ala Moana Beach. The Magic Island side has a sandy nearshore ocean bottom and the middle portion has sharp rocks and reef.