Current time: 10-17-2017, 03:49 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Visiting Oahu
02-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Visiting Oahu
Aloha,

I'm looking to visit Oahu at the end of this year (Nov/Dec 2010) for around 4 - 6 weeks.

I'm from Cornwall in the UK, female, aged 28, and I would be travelling by myself. The prime aim of my trip is to surf, meet people, explore the islands and enjoy myself!

I don't know of anyone in the UK who has spent a long time in Hawaii, it tends to be more of a 2 week holiday destination for people here. Therefore I have a few questions which I think someone from Hawaii is best placed to answer. I hope you can help!

Would it be feasable to stay on a campsite in Oahu for this amount of time? I'm looking to travel on a budget. Are there washing facilities (for clothes and me!) and places to keep my surfboard secure at the campsites?

Do you think it would be easy to meet other young travellers at a campsite? If not, could you recommend another place to stay which may be more suitable?

Apologies for all the questions, it's a lifetime dream to spend a few months in Hawaii surfing and exploring, but it's not on the typical "uk traveller" route, so I don't have anyone to ask about where's best to go.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Rachel
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2010, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 04:02 PM by eleakai.)
RE: Visiting Oahu
Aloha Rachel,

Regarding your questions.

Usually you can only stay on campgrounds 5 days in a row in Hawaii. However, there is one campground on Oahu that can maybe make an exception for you, if you contact them well in advance. The name of the campground is Malaekahana State Recreation Area (Kahuku Section). Their phone number is (808) 293-1736. Here is the link: https://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/camping/m...ground.php

This is the only campground that has security and is safe for a single female. We wouldn’t recommend camping on the other campgrounds, which are not really campgrounds at all, but rather beach parks where you’re allowed to pitch a tent if you have a camping permit. But even for this campground, there are no facilities like on European campgrounds. The only thing it has is warm outdoor showers and toilets. But nothing else, no laundry, no electricity at night, no fridge, no lockers, no food store.

There are some cabins that have lamps inside but their price is higher than just a tent. And you’ll have to bring your tent and all blankets. There is nothing going on at nighttime on the campgrounds, just local people making a barbecue. But only on the weekends. So if you want to make friends, it is easier in Waikiki, where you can also find cheap hostels and hotels, for up to $100 per night. One affordable hotel for example is the Big Surf Hotel on Ala Moana Blvd. Even cheaper is the YMCA on Atkinson Blvd.

So what we would do is we would stay most of the time somewhere near Waikiki (where the surfing by the way is good) and because it’s easy to meet new people and to commute to other places. Most of the buses that go to all places on the island leave from Ala Moana Shopping Center, which is a 10 minute bus ride from Waikiki. If you stay at the 2 places we mentioned, it is within a 5 minute walking distance.

For a few days we would definitely recommend the campground, but for the whole time you would get bored. Also, it is tricky to get food there because you will have to take the bus to go to the supermarket in the area, which is about 2 miles away. And the bus never comes on time. It is supposed to come every 30 minutes, but often times it is late and sometimes it skips one, so you wait one hour. So it is tricky to go for food 2-3 times per day, since you don’t have a fridge there and Hawaii is hot even in November/December.

We hope the info helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Aloha,
Kaniamea
Find all posts by this user
12-28-2010, 03:36 AM
RE: Visiting Oahu
Aloha Rachel, I hope you take lots of pics that you post here from your trip. After your first trip, you will be addicted to Hawaii!!!! There is no better addiction!!!Smile