Current time: 10-16-2017, 05:52 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Visiting Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
03-16-2011, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:18 PM by eleakai.)
Visiting Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
I just came back from a day trip to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. My first impression was the road called Crater Rim Drive. It led through a lush rainforest. I expected the entire scenery there to be barren but the main crater road was rather lush and tropical. A large part of the park was closed due to the recent lava eruption and hazardous fumes in the air so I went only to some of the lookouts from where I could see Kilauea Caldera and its magnificent surroundings. From there you can get a clear view to Mauna Loa (the most massive mountain on Earth). The crater was steaming and the air had a sulphur smell. It was a little chilly and windy in the park and luckily I had a jacket. It felt like I am in another place (other than Hawaii) since I am no longer used to chilly temperatures. Most of the time it was sunny but when I was about to leave it start raining. I noticed that the road was reacting to the rain and began steaming. That was something interesting to observe. I am not exactly sure what caused this.

As a wine lover I stopped at the Volcano Winery (which is America's southernmost winery) and bought a bottle of semi dry white wine. On the way back to Kapoho the rain came down in bucket loads and I stopped for a cup of coffee at the Hilo Coffee Mill. I like their dark roasted coffee and with it I ate a brownie. The scenery in the Puna District is very beautiful and green. Now I see why. It is often times raining here.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Entrance

Volcano Art Center

Kilauea Visitor Center

Steam Vents

Kilauea Overlook

Jaggar Museum

View to Mauna Loa

Kilauea Iki Crater

Devastation Trail

Thurston Lava Tube

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2013, 06:17 PM
RE: Visiting Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Hi
Good experience you have.I really want to see such volcano.
I have gained lot of from your experience there.I want to ask one question.
Is it dangerous for people or not?Can you tell me its pressure(power) in figure?
05-18-2013, 11:03 PM
RE: Visiting Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
It's not dangerous for people if you stay on the marked trails and lookout points. The areas that are dangerous are closed to the public.