Current time: 01-27-2022, 02:24 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Reply 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Two years in Hawaii
06-26-2014, 06:02 AM
Post: #1
Two years in Hawaii
Hello Everybody,

I like to explain my situation and hope that anybody can give me some helpful hints.

My girlfriend has accepted a post-doc position at the manoa university for two years. Of course I want to go along with her. As it is written here in this forum, it is not that easy to find a job and a visa or rather a working permission. So we are thinking about other possibilities to get a visa for me.

Do you think it is possible for me to go to Hawaii without visa (90 days with ESTA), marry my girlfriend there and than get my visa there. There is a visa (J-2) which is for peoples like me I think.

My first question is whether it is possible for me to get the visa when I am already in the US and how difficult this would be and how long does it takes.

Second question would be whether you have any other ideas how I could get a visa.

Thank you very much in advanced!

Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Post: #2
RE: Two years in Hawaii
Aloha Dennis and welcome to our forum!

What kind of visa does your girlfriend have? J-1? To get a J-2 visa for yourself, I think you would already have to be married. On the government website it says J-2 is for spouses. And spouse means you have to be married already. If you enter on ESTA and then marry in the USA, it would be considered fraud. Don't do that. Get the proper visa for yourself in advance. ESTA is for tourists only. You can visit your girlfriend for up to 3 months with it, but your intention in that case should NOT be to live with her for 2 years.

Here is more info about the J-1 and J-2 visa:

On the bottom under "Family" it says that spouses can apply for employment authorization.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Post: #3
RE: Two years in Hawaii

many thanks for this information! Of course we do not want to do anything illegal. We planned to spend our lives together, but not necessarily to get married. Anyway, if there's no other chance for us to stay together in the US during her PostDoc-period, we would just do it Wink
Moreover, I did not want to travel with her right at the beginning, but wanted to follow her about half a year later.
So, would it be possible, if I get married after the beginning of her J-1-period and then apply for a J-2-visa in our home country?
The problem we have now is that she already applied for a visa. We may get married in our home country before she's leaving. But still, I would have to apply for a J-2-visa after she already got her J-1 visa. Would that be possible?
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2014, 10:45 PM
Post: #4
RE: Two years in Hawaii
Hmm, good question. Honestly said I don't know. I think best would be to consult with both the university and also an immigration attorney since this is a very specific question. You may also want to post your question in a visa forum, for example in this one:

This section is specifically about student and exchange student visas (such as J visas).

Good luck!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Post: #5
RE: Two years in Hawaii
hello,,i am planning to go to Hawaii in November,,,i would like to make contact with someone who would rent me a room 3 months and I would like to make contact with any first nations from Hawaii..i am first nations female
Quote this message in a reply

Post Reply 

Forum Jump:

Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2022 MyBB Group.