Current time: 11-25-2017, 01:19 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Two danish guys dreaming. Need help.
04-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Question Two danish guys dreaming. Need help.
Hi there.

My name is Jonas Ochwat, i am 20 years old, and currently living in Denmark.
I have been conversing with a good friend of mine about moving to Hawaii. We would like to be working in Hawaii, part-time. 30-40 hours per week.
We would like to move in the year 2016/2017, and have not planned for how long we will stay.
We've done a lot of research, but everything seems to be very expensive. We would like to live near the ocean, but at the same time trying to keep the monthly cost at a minimum, since we're still young and not making a lot of money. We were thinking around $800-1200 in rent per month. The place does not have to be anything fancy at all.
We would like to live in a town, that is not too big nor too small. We've been looking into towns like Princeville, Kihei and Kahului. We've taken Honolulu into consideration, but it seems much too expensive.

Something that is important to us, is that we do not want to experience the touristed part of Hawaii. We would like to see the local part of it, and meet the Hawaiian people.

My question is: Does this sound manageable, or completely ridiculous?

And how are the basic costs of living? Food? Electricity? Public Transportation?

We're hoping that you would like to help us clarify wether this would be possible or not.

Kind Regards

Jonas & Hans from Denmark. Big Grin[/u]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2015, 03:21 PM
RE: Two danish guys dreaming. Need help.
Aloha Jonas and welcome to our forum. Your first concern should be the work permit. I assume you are not a U.S. citizen? If you are not a U.S. citizen or green card holder, you will need a work permit to be able to legally work in Hawaii (or anywhere else in the USA). This is very difficult to get. One of the work visas that would allow you to work is called H1B. Do a little research about this visa and read the requirements. If you don't have a college degree and don't work in a so-called specialty occupation, you won't qualify for this visa. Also, keep in mind that for all work visas you don't apply for it yourself. A company will have to sponsor you.

So in case you are not a U.S. citizen, what would make more sense for you is a nice vacation in Hawaii. I think as Danish citizens you might be able to stay up to 3 months, but I advise you to research this to make sure. Other than that you're right in your assumptions that Hawaii is expensive. Honolulu is expensive, but the neighbor islands are not really cheaper. The best public transportation is on Oahu. As a tourist you probably won't be able to find a rental apartment because most rentals require at least a 6-months lease. Finding something for $800-1,200 a month is possible, but not easy. But again, this would be for a longer term rental. As a tourist, you will most likely only be able to rent a vacation rental, which are more expensive. And again, as a tourist, you're not allowed to work.
04-15-2015, 12:23 AM
Thank you for your answer Smile

We will be looking into the qualification for a visa or green card. Otherwise a 3 month vacation also sounds nice. The only problem i see, is the financial part. We would not be able to afford a place with a rental cost above 1200$.
04-15-2015, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 11:45 AM by eleakai.)
There is no real way to qualify for a green card. Most people get it by marrying a U.S. citizen. Regarding vacation rentals, it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to find a vacation rental for under $1,200/month. Maybe you could go camping instead at one or a few of the legal campgrounds. Keep in mind though that most campgrounds in Hawaii don't have many facilities (most are located at beach parks and all there is is a restroom and maybe a cold outdoor shower). If you want to find the cheapest possible vacation rentals in Hawaii, look in the Hilo area or on Molokai.