Current time: 10-18-2017, 01:12 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu
03-26-2014, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 01:29 PM by eleakai.)
Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu
The best thing about the Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu is the location! Far from busy Waikiki and surrounded by beautiful beaches, Turtle Bay is a great place if you want to enjoy beautiful scenery, typical for the North Shore of Oahu –white sand beaches, green sea turtles and lava rocks covered by green vegetation.

Turtle Bay Resort is a 4 star hotel, but personally I would rate it a 3 star hotel because of the service. My stay there began with an issue with my reservation. In April, I booked on the phone and reserve a two-night stay in May. So the day I was supposed to check in, I printed my reservation confirmation and noticed that the check-in date was wrong. It was a date in April (which had already passed), and not for this coming weekend. So I called immediately and I happened to talk to the same person who took the reservation back in April. She was very unfriendly and said that it was my fault because I did not check the reservation confirmation email. True, I did not check it, but since she had confirmed me the date three times over the phone, I didn’t have a detailed look at the confirmation email. The reservation agent did not even apologize that the inputted the date incorrectly, but instead kept on saying that it is my fault and that she can’t do anything because they are all booked out.

Since this stay was for a special occasion, I did not want to give up, so I called again and spoke to a manager. He right away understood the situation and he said that he will make a room available. So we went.

Here is a list of things we liked and we did not like at Turtle Bay Resort.

Turtle Bay Pros:
  • Beautiful location
  • Most of the rooms have lanais
  • The only resort on the North Shore of Oahu
  • Two swimming pools and two Jacuzzis (plus a pool for small children)
  • Large comfortable rooms
  • Good drinks in the Hang Ten Bar. One of the best Mai Tais and Lava Flows I had tried on Oahu.
  • Great easy hike nearby along the coast
  • A few good dining options in the resort plus room service
Turtle Bay Cons:
  • Very expensive – everything costs extra at Turtle Bay Resort. First off, the rooms are already pricey, but on top of that, there is a $25 resort fee per day. Also, if you order room service and they also bring you water you will be charged extra for the water. For the room service, on top of the cost for the food, you pay Hawaii state tax + 15% gratuity (mandatory gratuity) + $4 room delivery charge. Then when you sign the receipt, there is another field for an additional tip, so it makes you feel awkward if you leave it blank. Furthermore, the small convenience store is expensive as well. A small bottle of wine that normally costs about $1.69 in Honolulu costs $3.69 here. A bottle of water is $1.59 that you will normally get for $0.59 in Honolulu. Also, if you want to watch some TV in the evening in your room, there is a good selection of movies, but they will charge you $10 for a movie.
  • The TV quality was not good since it was an old machine with a loud background noise.
  • Many of the rooms (especially the ones on lower floors) overlook a wide roof, so the view is very limited. Only from higher floors (floor 4 and up) you have a good view.
  • The pools and the Jacuzzis were crowded. Many locals (non-guests) use the pool for free, even though it is not allowed if you are not a guest. I wanted to go in the smaller and warmer of the two pools, but I didn’t stay in it long because it was so crowded and it was not pleasant to be in.
  • The Jacuzzi is not properly used. You are not supposed to have drinks there, but people do. Also, I saw a family there with a kid who was eating a burger while sitting in the Jacuzzi.
  • Very few umbrellas are available by the pool. If you stay there during mid-day, it will be very hot in case you don’t have an umbrella.
  • Not all beach chair sets (every two chairs) have tables. Actually very few tables are available, so if you eat or drink something you have to hold it while sitting in your chair.
  • The hotel service is ok, but could be more professional and organized. For example, we had pre-paid the breakfast buffet. On the first morning, we presented the coupon to the person who was leading us to our table. We then proceeded to get food. We couldn’t figure out where to get coffee from and asked someone who was working there. But we didn’t understand her English well. Then we asked someone else and she told us that our server will bring us coffee. The problem was that we didn’t have a server. We waited a few more minutes at our table and were half way finished with our breakfast, but still no server. We then stood up again and found a server and said that we would like coffee. He then brought it to us.
  • No kitchenette in the rooms, that means you have to buy all the meals. There are no other stores near the resort. The closest store is in Kahuku, but food choices are very limited there. There are also no wine glasses or wine bottle openers in the rooms, no silverware and no plates.
Enjoy the photos I took there!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply