Current time: 12-11-2017, 09:08 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Tsunami Videos of Hawaii & More
03-14-2011, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:20 PM by eleakai.)
Tsunami Videos of Hawaii & More
Here is a great place to put your iphone, YouTube and newsgroup videos. The first one here is a time elapse shot from the Royal Kona Resort looking towards downtown Kona town and along Ali'i Drive during the first wave.
The second one was shot by a visitor to Hawaii and this was shot during either the fourth or fifth wave during the same morning.
A little history,this tsunami behaved like the one Hawaii experienced in 1933, in which all the waves came in like these throughout the day averaging between 6-9 feet until the tenth wave. That one came in at 12 meters or 36 feet and was responsible all the deaths during that tsunami.
That is why our local and state officials refused to give the all clear after the first three waves. One more note, we have a giant swell getting ready to hit the North Shore that could bring 15-30 foot waves. Imagine if the tsunami was to arrive tomorrow during this seasonal swell?

Saigontodd Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2011, 06:51 PM
RE: Tsunami Videos of Hawaii & More
These are two great videos. I don't think I would have dared to do what this visitor did, to stand that close to the tsunami waves. Great video though! It gives you an idea of what was going on. Also, it's really important to know that the later waves are usually the more destructive. They had originally told everyone in Hawaii that the tsunami would arrive between 3 am and 3:45 am. It did, but the first waves were not as strong yet. So basically it went on all morning and day.
Find all posts by this user
03-19-2011, 06:07 PM
I think the residents of Hawaii have learned a lot about the behavior of tsunamis over the last two years. Yes,you are right,the first two tsunami waves are not as big as those that follow those. We also learned the hard way in some cases that these can go on for days.
Last Saturday around sunset,many tourists found out the hard way when a very late tsunami wave hit Waikiki Beach that washes away people's cameras,cell phones,wallets and beach towels. This wave caught everyone by surprise and the wave moved up the beach to almost the sidewalks on Kalakaua and you could tell from the debris line next to the beach picnic tables.
My only worry at this point is the fact that we have been mostly lucky the last two years with these tsunamis. That people will not take the next tsunami warning as seriously as they should. On the other hand,the news footage from Japan's massive tsunami has been doing a good job of teaching all of us that these massive waves are very much real and very dangerous. It's no longer a question of "if" but of "when" we will get a large tsunami. As long as the Pacific and North America plates keep moving,the danger will remain high for the next several months.
03-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Hmmmmm I hope there is not a video of me in Hawaii doing anything bad!!!!Big Grin
03-26-2011, 10:47 PM
(03-26-2011 01:40 AM)NoKaOiDude Wrote:  Hmmmmm I hope there is not a video of me in Hawaii doing anything bad!!!!Big Grin

I bet there is! Lol!