Current time: 10-18-2017, 01:13 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Top island for young family of four
04-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Top island for young family of four
Hello all!
My family and I are hell bent on moving from Western Pennsylvania to Hawaii and enjoying the best years of our lives in paradise with our two young kids and need some guidance.

We would be grateful for any locals' suggestions for which island is the best for our young family! Your responses would help many other families who are thinking of making the move.

4 Quick Details About Our Family:
1. Mom has 10+ years waitressing and bar tending.
2. Dad wants a job in banking/finance but it would be easy for him to transfer to a Starbucks down there temporarily.
3. Apartment style living is not for us. We thrive with space and would like an area where larger housing is affordable, even if it's in the boonies.
4. Cyber school is cool with us! Just give us space to run!

Which island/neighborhood is the best for these traits? Please voice your insights!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2013, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:09 PM by eleakai.)
RE: Top island for young family of four
There are plenty of waitressing/bartending jobs in Hawaii since it's a big tourist destination and there are many restaurants/bars. For jobs in banking/finance I would look on Oahu first. Oahu is where most jobs are located because it's where most people live and work and where Hawaii's economic heart is. That said, it will be difficult to find a spacious AND affordable house on Oahu, or anywhere in Hawaii. If you check craigslist.org for rentals, it can give you a good overall idea what rents are like. The most affordable rentals from what I've seen are on the Big Island, in rather remote areas for example the Puna and Ka'u districts. However, jobs are more scarce there and pay less. If you want to rent a house on Oahu, you'll have to expect to pay at least $2,500+ in rent. A typical 1-bedrom apartment is already around $1,500. Here on this page you'll find a table that lists the average rent and mean average wage for each island: https://www.to-hawaii.com/moving-to-hawaii.php
04-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Thank you for the quick response kaniamea! Are there any others who would like to post their favorite spot to live?
04-24-2013, 09:20 PM
I like Maui. After 8 years of living on Oahu (metro area) I'm ready to move to another island! I've been to all the other islands but I think I want to move to Maui because it's less busy than Oahu without being boring or too quiet.
05-16-2013, 12:16 AM
(04-24-2013 09:20 PM)Joe808 Wrote:  I like Maui. After 8 years of living on Oahu (metro area) I'm ready to move to another island! I've been to all the other islands but I think I want to move to Maui because it's less busy than Oahu without being boring or too quiet.

Hi
I am agree to you.This is very charming and less congested place where
we can find too much calm.I really want to visit their to enjoy this beautiful island.
05-16-2013, 02:11 AM
I think being far away from family and friends, loneliness will be a big concern living in such place. I guess it is easy and fun meeting new friends in new places only when you are young, but once you reach certain age, it will be more difficult.
05-16-2013, 03:05 AM
Oahu is sounding more and more like the only place to get a job in banking or any industry.

In other words, if we want to live out on the Big Island, we would have to pick up bar tending/customer service jobs if I understand correctly.

Is this an accurate conclusion?
05-18-2013, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 11:17 PM by kaniamea.)
Yes, I agree. Oahu has the most jobs and much more variety of jobs than any other island in Hawaii. I also agree that as a newcomer on the Big Island you're likely to end up with a job as a bartender or customer service agent in the tourism industry. Some people who move there from the mainland do it to open an own business, for example a coffee farm. But these are people who already have a good chunk of money or who want to retire there. On average the wages are lower on the Big Island compared to Oahu. Housing is cheaper on the Big Island and you can get a bigger apartment or house with a bigger yard for less, but if you don't have a good job, then in the end you can't see this as a benefit anymore. So in other words, there are fewer opportunities on the Big Island if you're not retirement age yet. Also, if you don't have connections, it's harder to get a good job there because it's a smaller community (population of the Big Island is only 186,000, compared to 950,000 on Oahu). Oahu is also a lot more anonymous.